“Well worth the visit!!”

Ranked #1 of 427 things to do in Lisbon
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Opened in 1998, the Oceanário was the centerpiece of the XXth Century's last World Fair, themed "The Oceans, a Heritage for the Future", and eternally binds Lisbon to the Oceans.MissionThe Oceanário’s mission is to promote knowledge of the oceans and bring up the public about the duty of protecting natural heritage, through changing their daily habits.While walking through impressive and unforgettable exhibits, visitors are encouraged to learn fascinating things about the oceans and, more importantly, how to make decisions in their daily lives that actively promote the conservation of nature.
Dallas, Georgia
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Well worth the visit!!”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We're from California, so a visit to an aquarium wasn't really on our list of things to do. But the kids wanted to go, so we went. WOW! Very nice! Similar to other aquariums we had been to, but different species, some I had never seen before. The tickets were purchased through our hotel, so we got a bit of a discount. Cab fare to and from was around 20 Euro. I think we spent around 40 Euro for 1 adult and 2 kids under 13. Afterwards, we walked along the harbor's edge and found lots of great places to eat and visit.

Visited May 2013

• Slovak first
  • Turkish first
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Loved the penguins and the sea others”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The exhibits were nice. There was a temporary exhibit of sea turtles that was excellent. But also the permanent exhibits were good. Several exhibits were targeted for kids so it is definitely family friendly.

Perthshire, Scotland
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Brilliant!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Loved this! One of the highlights of my visit to Lisbon. I could've sat all day and watched the sea creatures in the main tank. You actually feel like you're on the bottom of the ocean. Amazing. Really enjoyed the video which explains the inner workings of the Oceanario. We just loved the sea otters. You are remarkably close to them. Prices very reasonable. Nice cafe too. Altogether highly recommended.

Calgary, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“An average aquarium”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I am a rescue Scuba Diver, and have been to more than my fair share of aquariums and have dove all over the world, so I was expecting much more out of the so called second biggest. The education part was basic, and geared to a small child, and the species selection was good but not great. Decent spot if you haven't been in the water before, but if you've ever even snorkelled, I would give it a miss.

St. Thomas
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great Immersion Experience.”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We spend a too quick time at the Oceanario due to other commitments, but really enjoyed all of the exhibits. The basic four oceans exhibit was very well done and informative. There was enough to keep an adult entertained and I wished I'd had my grandson with me, he would have a great time.

Visited June 2013