“Not only for children”

Ranked #1 of 439 things to do in Lisbon
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Opened in 1998, the Oceanário was the centerpiece of the XXth Century's last World Fair, themed "The Oceans, a Heritage for the Future", and eternally binds Lisbon to the Oceans.MissionThe Oceanário’s mission is to promote knowledge of the oceans and bring up the public about the duty of protecting natural heritage, through changing their daily habits.While walking through impressive and unforgettable exhibits, visitors are encouraged to learn fascinating things about the oceans and, more importantly, how to make decisions in their daily lives that actively promote the conservation of nature.
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The site is great, with a clever distribution of space. I loved the animals, mainly the lontras and the sharks

Reviewed January 24, 2013

This was my first visit to a large aquarium so maybe I'm more easily impressed than other reviewers but I thought it was the highlight of my trip to Lisboa. I could spend all day sitting in the aquarium (and there are seats for just that) watching the fish go by. There's a huge selection here from sharks to mackerel, penguins to otters and bioluminescent jellyfish. A+

1  Thank Dave C
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a day in Lisboa and from all the great review we decided to check out the aquarium. As others reviews told it was a very nice aquarium. English at most displays so we learned a thing or two...The turtle exhibition was on at the time of our visit and it was fun! The area around the aquarium is very nice as well.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

It's worth a visit to the Oceanario de Lisboa. Go with plenty of energy as it's a big place with an amazing number of aquatic creatures to see. At the beginning I thought there wasn't enough information available but as I moved through the exhibits I realised they were "drip feeding" it (no pun intended) along the way so that it was easier to absorb.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Travel out on the 728 bus route, we made the mistake of jumping on the 759, which although it got us there it did travel around every possible housing estate en route. 16 euros gets you full entry.