“Excellent value....”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Bucks. UK
“Excellent value....”
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Great food, staff very attentive.... And good value..... Would recommend. Nothing was too much trouble. We had five jugs of sangria and five main courses and it came to 140 euros!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Jeanpiitt123

San Antonio, Texas
“Good, simple food and a no-nonsense restaurant”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

After a long day of sightseeing, I was hungry and this restaurant was reasonably close to my hotel. I asked to eat at the bar, not wanting to take up a table when it was just me. It was clear that the people behind the bar either didn't speak English or that they didn't know what to do with me. I guess they don't get many solo visitors, or that their solo visitors don't ask to sit at the bar that often.

They had a waiter come over to me, and I ordered the grilled mixed seafood platter. They brought out the bread with butter and sardine paste (both in plastic containers - not very appetizing looking if you ask me). I didn't have any of that stuff. After a while, the food came out and it was very good. I got quite a bit of food. The plate contained a grilled sardine, a big shrimp or prawn, half of a salmon steak that was around half an inch thick, a chunk of mackerel, and some other sort of oily fish. Not sure what it was, and since the guys behind the bar basically ignored me I didn't have anyone to ask.

The food was plentiful and well cooked. It came with boiled potatoes (which must have been boiled in crack - they were simple, but tasted very good, just lightly salted) and some mushy veggies. The seafood was very good - maybe slightly salty, but not overly so.

I thought the food offered tremendous value. I had a beer, a mineral water, and the seafood platter and paid only 14.50 Euros. I went to other places that served less food that wasn't nearly as good, and paid a great deal more.

Definitely worth a visit if you are looking for some simple food and not a lot of fussing over.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Poopycat
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Friendly staff”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Very well located, at Av. da Liberdade, QUEBRA MAR, is not a de luxe restaurant, but a fine place to have a good dinner. Dishes are not very big, but they have a fair price. Good service makes an invitation for a second time.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank JOAO S
Itapiranga-SC
“Just ok”
Reviewed May 30, 2012 via mobile

I expected so much more... The food is simple, at home I cook much better. The 'sardinhas', a tipical dish in Portugal, had a strange flavor. The calamares we're not cooked well. It's more a cheap bar than a restaurant. Not expensive prices, but small dishes. If you just want to eat, can go there, but don't expect a great meal.

San Francisco, California
“Rustic, no-frills fare; good prices”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We were staying at the Hotel Sofitel Liberdade just a block away and had dinner twice here because of the convenience, reasonable prices, good service and tasty fare. The atmosphere is bright and lively (go elsewhere for quiet date night), the tables are pretty close to one another, and there are a couple of TVs mounted on the walls.

Mid-range prices – around €10 for a meat or nicely charred grilled fish entree. Generous portions prepared in a rustic, no-frills style. Most everything comes with potatoes – boiled plain, or sliced and fried. Good caldo verde soup – pureed potato with chiffonade of greens and a slice of smoky sausage. No wine list, just red or white house wine.

The waiters are efficient, but we didn’t feel hurried even though the place started filling up at around 8:30 p.m. There were mostly tourists in the early part of the evening but later on the locals started streaming in.

• Visited April 2012