“Surprisingly good near the train station”
Review of Beira Gare

Beira Gare
Ranked #734 of 5,024 Restaurants in Lisbon
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Baixa, Rossio & Restauradores
Reviewed June 13, 2017

We did not expect much as this is a restaurant near the Rosio train station, but we were pleasantly surprised. We ate dinner there twice during our stay in Lisbon: first time we had clams with garlic sauce, monkfish with shrimps, grilled sole fish, these were pretty good. This was when we noticed that a lot of people were eating the bifanas (pork sandwiches). A couple of days later we went there to just try the bifana -- and it was good. The meat was tender and full of flavor. We can see the cook cooking the pork for the bifana, apparently this is their specialty and what draws the customers.

The bifana is quite inexpensive, but their other dishes can be a bit pricey. Also this place is rather small inside and when they are busy it can be very crowded (you may have to sit very close to other customers). But the food makes it worthwhile.

Reviewed June 6, 2017 via mobile

We had such a nice time there. Food was good, fair prices and stuff very helpful and also in a good humor.
The food's taste makes you feel like you were invited by a Portuguese family to eat at their house.

Reviewed May 24, 2017

My husband and I sat outside for lunch one of our days in Lisbon. Nice view of a beautiful building as we sat outside. My husband ordered the grilled grouper and loved it. I had my favorite grilled sardines. They were delicious! Everything tasted very fresh. It is custom in Europe for things to take longer when eating but our food came out pretty quickly. They gave me 4 sardines plus a salad and potatoes for 7.60 euro. I felt I got a good amount for my money. Our server was very kind and spoke enough English where it was easy to communicate. He then gave me directions to Santini to have some gelato. Great experience.

1  Thank Cayla P
Reviewed May 19, 2017

I couldn't believe that I was apparently the only tourist in this place, steps from Rossio and Restauradores in the heart of Lisbon. They certainly cater to tourists: the menu was in 5 or 6 languages. But it's not a rip-off place: prices are more than honest. Staff are friendly and incredibly efficient and speak restaurant English. I had a couple of croquetas, one cod, one beef. They seemed made long ago and were served luke-cold, which is apparently how the Portuguese like a lot of their food. I ate them but wasn't crazy about them. I followed those up with octopus gallega-style, which at 15 euros was among the most expensive items on the menu. I didn't even know what it was when I ordered it, but I love octopus. It turned out to be a kind of warm octopus salad, with tons of really tender octopus. It was great. I thought it was a rather small portion when it arrived, but it turned out to be plenty, especially with bread to sop up the juices. I suspect that the Beira Gare is a much better place than my three-star review would indicate. One would need about a month to do its extensive menu justice.

Reviewed May 5, 2017

Every time we walked past this little restaurant it was packed with what looked like locals. So my wife and I decided to come here for an early dinner so that we could get in without having to wait in line. We were not disappointed. The prices were reasonable and the fish we ordered was fresh and delicious. Great place to eat if you don't mind being in close quarters. The benefit of the closeness is that we ended up having a great chat with one of the local regulars.