“Near Perfect Sandwich”

Neighborhood: Baixa, Rossio & Restauradores
London, England, United Kingdom
“Near Perfect Sandwich”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Highly rated and deservedly so. Excellent bifana; juicy, tender pork cooked to perfection and served on a lovely fresh bread roll. Add your own tangy mustard. Fantastic prices. Go and go back again.

Visited April 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“pleasant late dinner”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

After Sintra day trip, we went this restaurant for quick dinner. I ate Portugal steak and it was the best food that I had at Lisbon. The service is fast and total cost of this dinner is inexpensive. not suitable for special dinners.

• Visited April 2014
“Typical place to lunch”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

If you are looking for a typical place in city center for a quick lunch this is a very nice place. Enter and choose Bifanas with an imperial (Portuguese beer). You can try also "pasteis de bacalhau" with a glass of wine. The staff is gently and prices in line.

• Visited May 2014
Padua, Italy
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Treated as cash cows”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

It was around 00:00 and we were looking for something to eat.
Most of restaurants were shutting down, therefore we knew that our best option was either a pub or something like that for buying a snack. We walked by this place and a waiter "strongly" invited us to enter and have something to eat, since the place was open and full. It looked a bit strange (the only restaurant still open in the neighborhood?) but, hell, it was 00:15, we were hungry and the place was crowded and looked good. Unfortunately we accepted and asked for a table.
The initial impression was rather good, it is indeed a warm and lively place, service is fast and effective, waiters behave kindly and apparently in a professional way.
We briefly examined the menu then when we told the waiter our choices but he replied that some of the dishes were not available. He suggested to start with a "fried mix" and then we would go with "polpo alla callega" for me and "bacalhau" for my girlfriend. We trusted him and accepted. All good till this point.
We were served immediately the beer (this one was very good) and then the "fried mix" arrived literally in a couple of minutes (I think it is some sort of world record). Needless to say the fried mix was rather cold, terrible and for sure not meant to be like that (no, it was not some sort of "local specialty").
In few minutes, the other customers left the place and the waiters began to clean the tables and the furniture, loudly joking around and making us feel very uncomfortable (bear in mind that the place is rather small).
We were not done with the fried mix yet (I think about 5 minutes or less had passed) and the waiter brought us the polpo and bacalhau. The polpo tasted like soap (literally) and it was terrible, unedible. I must say that this was one of the rare times in my life that I didn't empty my dish. Disgusting. Same went with the bacalhau, poorly and quickly assembled, cold, tasted terribly. I should stress the fact that I am not picky at all when it comes to food, I eat anything and I am very open minded, but this was truly an insult.
In the moment we put down the fork the waiter brought us the bill. Poor guys, they had to go home and they were in a hurry. No time for coffe (might have helped to clean the bad taste in the mouth).
We left the place around 00:50 feeling very very bad and sad about the experience we just had. That was our last night in Lisbon, hence we closed our short vacation with a bad taste in the mouth, in all senses.
I mean, it is not that we did insist to enter the place. Ok, it was late and would have happily accepted some limitations in availability of dishes and time. But what we got was very terrible food and a terrible experience.
Perhaps during the day they are better, unfortunately we will never know.
Don't go there if it is late.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Giordano B
Ann Arbor, MI
“Surprised by this place”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We were walking around the heart of the city and rarely would I pay attention to someone shoving a menu in front of you to come in. But was interested in the delicious sliced pork they were cooking in the window so we decided to try. Boy, am I glad we stopped in. The place almost looks like a diner so very casual. The food was just excellent. We had clams for appetizer. The other three dishes were octopus, the sliced pork, and seafood in a pot. All were wonderful.

• Visited February 2014