“Excellent location and service”
Review of LX Boutique Hotel

LX Boutique Hotel
Ranked #45 of 251 Hotels in Lisbon
GreenLeadersBronze level
NYC
“Excellent location and service”
Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the LX Boutique Hotel twice during a recent vacation in Portugal. I booked a standard city view room, but for my first two-night stay I was upgraded to a superior river view room. It was gorgeous and a good size. The bathroom was not completely private to the rest of the room (I know these pod-bathrooms are a trend in newer European boutique hotels), so that's something to know if you're self-conscious. Otherwise, it's worth a splurge for the space and the view, if you can afford it. On my first night I was jet-lagged and sleep-deprived due to pre-vacation responsibilities. The bed was so comfortable, and the shades were so effective, that I slept for 12 hours straight, which might be the longest I've ever slept in my life; I usually cannot sleep in, even if I'm exhausted. I felt so much better!

When I returned, I was placed in the type of room that I had actually booked. It was pretty small, and the city view was mostly of a boarded-up building next door, but I did have a small balcony and a more attractive view once I Iooked over the other building's rooftop. The bed was just as comfortable as the one in the superior room, and the light was appealing. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was that the bathroom's walls and floor were surfaced in a textured rubber/plastic material that seemed impractical and distasteful for a bathroom that other guests had used before me. Everything was impeccably clean, though.

The wine and sushi hour, pastries and port, and citrus water provided for guests in the lobby and restaurant were lovely and thoughtful. Everyone who worked there -- the folks at reception and the women who cleaned the rooms -- was warm and helpful.

The location is great. Lisbon is a small, walkable city if you can manage the steep hills, and Cais de Sodre is a near enough to all the sights without being too hectic. It's also across the street from trains to Cascais, which is great if you're planning to go to the beach. I
There are plenty of good restaurants and bars nearby, as well as the excellent Mercado de Ribiera, which has an upscale food court. (Great restaurants and chefs from around the city have concessions there.)

I've already recommended this hotel to a friend, and I'd return to it, especially if I could find a good promotion for a superior room.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank EncantadaNYC
lxboutiquehotel, General Manager at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the time you took to make such a detailed review. It was great hosting you at the lx boutique hotel and even better to feel we'll meet again in the future!

Your review is great because you actually got to experience to reality in the same hotel! Different experiences but both very good, which is great! The superior rooms are indeed an upscale, the size and the view can make the value. Nevertheless, and as you mention, the comfort is there, in either room category!

About your remark on the bathroom floors, I'm pleased to inform you that it's being replaced as we speak! You'll find it brand new on your return!

If you wish to keep up the city/hotel news, follow our fb page or subscribe the LX CLub newsletter on our website, where you'll also find the best online deals!

Gonçalo Dias

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
Colchester England
Reviewed August 20, 2014

Lovely hotel, perfectly situated right next to Cais de Sodré station (half hourly service to Cascais and the beach) and the waterfront. Just 200 metres up the hill is Bairro Alto and all the little lanes full of restaurants and bars. Four blocks across and you are in the main avenues and Praça de Comercio. The rooms are perfectly sized, not huge but still comfortable. Everything seems brand new and the bathroom area is space aged with a great shower pod. Bed is ultra ultra comfortable. Each evening there is a serving of sushi and a cold glass of wine in the bar, which is complementary; the quality is exceptional. The staff are nice and the place has a real quirky feel to it. I liked it a lot. There's no pool or gym, it's not that kind of place. Highly recommended. Business or pleasure. Free WiFi everywhere.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear Nick,

Thank you so much for your review and for such nice words! It was great hosting you on your most recent Lisbon Xperience and I'm sure we'll meet again in the future.

I couldn't agree more on the location a comfort remark! We've always pretended to be a perfect Hub for the city discovery as it is walking distance everywhere. The beds, the colors, the bathroom, the ambiance, the breakfast, and river-view are our ingredients for your daily recovery!

If you wish to keep up the city/hotel news subscribe the LX club newsletter on the website or follow our fb page. On your return, don't forget to check our own online deals, best price guaranteed!

Kind regards
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed August 17, 2014

this is truly a great boutique hotel: it's beautifully designed, is ideally situated, has great and friendly staff and adds quality in little details all over the place.
so what's the 0.01% penalty for...actually the location can get a bit rowdy for families...this isn't a trip canceller for families but it is something to be rady for..

Room Tip: i would choose a room facing the river on the top floors.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
lxboutiquehotel, General Manager at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words! It was great having you with us and even better to be sure we'll meet again in the future to come!

About that 0,01%...that's the price you pay to be in Lisbon Historical center, walking distance almost everywhere, just 500mt aways from the River Tejo! Seriously, and although 70% of our guests are couples or business travellers, I do believe the hotel fits all!

If you wish to keep up the city/hotel news, follow our fb page or subscribe the LX Club newsletter on our website, where you'll also find the best online deals (best price guaranteed!).

Hong Kong
Reviewed August 16, 2014

Hotel is good looking, staff are helpful, BUT and there are a lot of them….

Convenient location, BUT so noisy. Double glazed windows don't help. Partying goes on all night outside and even at 5AM it is still going on…so if want any quality sleep on a weekend or holiday night, don't stay here.

Was given initially room 115 which is supposedly a superior room. Besides being a shoe box and looking nothing like the Superior room on their website the room is right on top of the buses and trams. Here you have the party noise at night and the trams, cars and buses all day right outside your window.

Then I was shown the 'slanted' room on the 5th floor which is even more of a joke. It would be OK if you are shaped like a triangle and like a snug fit. A great room to study Euclidian geometry.

Finally was given a superior room with decent size that looked like the one I booked on the website ( 311). It was nice provided you don't mind bearing awake all night from the partying ( see above). Best part was when staff told me this was a River VIew Superior room..oh yeah, put your head out the window, turn 90 degree left, and have a few degrees of river view, maybe.
The only view I had outside was the drying underwear hung up in the window of the building directly across the room.

Nice decoration and nice staff, but no way to go back. Try the well located Avenida Palace Hotel which is grander, has bigger rooms, friendly staff and costs the same and no ear plugs required.

2 Thank HKJR
lxboutiquehotel, General Manager at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for the time you took to review our property.

I'm glad you recognise all the efforts made during your stay and believe me, changing room 3 times during high season it's almost impossible! All the rooms you stayed in are superior rooms, even if not by your standards. Here the superior rooms are all unique and differentiated by its exquisite architecture (room 501 is actually on of our guests favourites..), its different amenities, its size, its views, etc.

The lx boutique hotel mission is to offer an authentic Lisbon experience to its guests, and being in the hippiest neighbourhood of the city comes with a price. Nevertheless, we've made a tremendous investment on the hotel acoustics and, except for some rooms, in some specific nights, the soundproof its almost perfect. Your rooms were not one of these so I have to conclude you must be a really light sleeper. I

One final remark on the recommendation you've made for another hotel on our page, which was a first and I didn't even knew it was possible...the hotel you mention, and although being a great hotel, its night and day when comparing with the LX. Its comparing a traditional hotel with a boutique hotel with totally different locations and guests.

I really hope that you can give us another chance in the future. If so, please send me an email and I'll personally take care of your process.

London
Reviewed August 16, 2014

Spent 2 nights here in August. Location was fantastic, particularly for an evening out drinking or eating, so many bars to choose from. A fantastic room, very clean, and certainly 'boutique' with the unique bathroom and lovely decor. Staff very helpful, particularly given we left a mobile phone in our room affter we checked out and they posted in back to us.

Room Tip: Our room was on the first floor and if you did wake-up in the early hours of the morning then you ca...
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words, it was great having you with us and I'm sure we'll meet again in the neat future! I'm very happy you found the hotel and its ambiance unique, it means that our daily efforts are paying out! I'll pass your kind comments to all the staff.

If you wish to keep up the city/hotel news, follow our fb page or subscribe the LX Club newsletter on our website. When planning your return, don't forget to check our exclusive online deals, best price guaranteed.

Oakville, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

Pros:
1. Amazing amazing location
2. Very friendly and helpful staff
3. Free champagne and chocolates in the room
4. Each night you get a free glass of wine and sushi downstairs
5. Fairly clean

Cons:
1. Very tiny room- the roof slanted very awkwardly and my husband banged his head on it many times (room 502) see attached pictures
2. Bathroom floors were old plastic tiles that needed upgrading
3. Lighting is bad- felt like I was getting ready in the dark!

• Stayed August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry we weren't able to provide you a more than OK experience...it's not what we have in mind at all!

About your remarks, I personally consider that the pros you mention more than compensate the cons. Nevertheless, about your specific room, this are the constraints of building an hotel on an historical building (Fernando Pessoa use to write here!) and, on your next visit, you must ask to change if you're not comfortable. I totally agree on the bathroom material. It's being changed as I write, and should be done in the coming weeks.

I'm confidant you'll give another chance and that next time, you'll write a more enthusiastic review! Write me directly so that I can personally arrange everything for you.

Kind regards
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Lovely hotel in a perfect location!! Stayed 5 nights in August, couldn't have chosen a better hotel for my first Lisbon visit. Location was great, very central, nice hip neighborhood with plenty to do in cafes, restaurants, bars, etc. Within walking distance to Bairro Alto, tram 28 station and many of the Lisbon must dos. Also a few minute walk to ferry, tram, metro and train stations - very convenient giving you access to the beaches and other destinations. Hotel is charming, well designed and carefully thought off details across the board, from colors, to wallpapers, lighting and furniture. Loved the cozy reception, and the afternoon pastries (local delicacy pastel de nata) and port wine. Welcome sushi daily is nice, 3 pieces and a glass of wine on the house! Rooms were very clean, comfortable beds, nice bathroom cabins overlooking the bedroom, we stayed in a superior room, that was nice and big with windows to the city and the river. Staff were very friendly since arriving, Maria, Tomas, and Pedro were great - ask them about anything, they know - great recommendations for where to eat and what to do - we were particularly interested in more local and less touristic restaurants and hangouts, Maria was kind enough to book outings for us every night of the stay. Really impressed with everything about the hotel, highly recommended for a great Lisbon and boutique experience, i will be back soon.

2 Thank Hani N
lxboutiquehotel, General Manager at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Dear Hani,

Thank you so much for the time you took to review your experience at the lx boutique hotel. It was great having you here and even better to feel we've overcame your expectations!

Agree on everything you said, location, location, staff, location and staff! I'll pass your kind words to all the staff, specially to Maria, Tomas and Pedro!

If you wish to keep up with the city/hotel news, follow our fb page or subscribe the LX Club newsletter on our website. On your return, don't forget to check our own online deals, best price guaranteed!

Kind Regards,