“We Had A Lovely Time”

Ranked #36 of 231 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“We Had A Lovely Time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for three nights. We thought everything was lovely--the breakfast was above average, the receptionists (when available) were friendly (Pedro was great), and they were always helpful with suggestions. The rooms are clean, although small.

I actually really liked being away from the center of town--it's not very far from the hustle and bustle, and in actuality, it's right at the beginning of the most famous trolley next to the Basilica, so you can always get a seat. The view from the terrace is unbeatable.

I did not love the smell of the pipes.

As an additional feature, it is very close to a wonderful restaurant that was featured in the New York Times a couple of years ago, La Tasca de Esquina. The food there is wonderful, and we got to walk there from the place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AmherstBird
fcpcc1, Manager at The House, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Amherst Sparrow,

Thank you so much for your lovely review.

I am sorry that not everything was perfect. That is what we aim to offer our guests and we are always disapointed when it doesn't happen that way.

I am however glad to inform that we are finally going to be able to have some proper work done in the bathroom. We have had apparently random problems concerning smell in the bathroom of the room you stayed in. The reason why we haven’t been able to address it properly before (even though we tried a number of suggestions from different professionals that either seem to work for some time or at least minimize the problem) is that I don’t own TheHOUSE; I only rent it to my family. Therefore for us to undertake major work inside walls is impossible until we get permission from the landlord. We finally have that so, the next time you come, everything will be fine. Perhaps we will deserve a five star review then. In the meanwhile, please accept my apologies.

Best regards,

Francisco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Trip Advisor recommendations are usually pretty much on target but how this place ever was ranked so high is beyond us. This was our worst experience in Portugal. While they were informative and prompt when we made the reservation, it took them two days to answer an email when we were in Portugal – and it went downhill quickly from there.

We were told in advance that the check-in folks would be out between 1 and 3 p.m. We got there before 3 and no one showed up until about 3:20. Fortunately, the housekeeper let us in so we weren’t standing on the street. The staff, when they were there, were quite nice and friendly, but not all that knowledgeable about local sights and events. After about 8 p.m. there was no staff available so you were on your own if there was a problem.

The rooms used an old fashioned lock and sometimes it took us about 5 minutes to get into the room and lock the door from the inside. When the toilet didn’t flush, a staff person came in, pushed the top of the toilet to get it working again, and admitted it was a regular problem. There was also a sign near the toilet that said some of the toilets may have a bad smell because of old pipes. That wasn’t a problem in our room, however.

The rug in the room was dirty, new towels weren’t put in each day unless requested, the breakfasts were nothing to write home about (no hot food and they even cut the croissants in half so they would go further), the shower curtain was dirty, the soap dispenser was rusty, and the dried flowers in the bathroom were dirty.

On the positive side, the views from both the room and the terrace were outstanding and the location, while not close to downtown, was convenient as the #28 tram was close by and that takes you to about everyplace you’d want to go.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bigflak
fcpcc1, Gerente at The House, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
5/11/2013

Dear BigFlask,

We have just received your review.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay at TheHOUSE and am currently looking into all the details of your review. I have sent you a message in order to fully understand everything, and wait for your reply in order to be able to answer your comments in full knowledge.

Francisco

13/11/2013

Dear Bigflak,

It has now been more than a week since your review was posted on tripadvisor and our own website. The moment we got it, I immediately wrote to you asking for more information so we could understand what the problems were and make sure that next time they wouldn’t happen. Even though it is obviously a very damaging review (on account of it we have just dropped on the rankings), I opted to wait for your response so that we could give, both you and the trip advisor community, the best possible answer. You haven’t replied back and I think it is a shame that somebody is so quick to give very negative public feedback on a business without doing it privately first it is, at the same, unwilling to help us.

In any case, the room is supposed to be impeccable when the guests arrive and, because it was not the case, please accept my apologies. If I had been told about it when you arrived, we would obviously have changed it on the spot and we would both be better off. Sometimes things are not the way they should but it is impossible to change it without knowing about it.

TheHOUSE is not a hotel, it does not offer some of the services a regular hotel does. This includes magnetic cards for the doors, 24hr service (although we always have somebody less than 10 minutes away for any emergency, obviously), safes in the rooms… If you want fresh towels everyday please ask for it and, if all this doesn’t suit you, please go and stay at a place that does. It will be better for you and it will be better for us. This applies also to everybody that would rather complain anonymously afterwards on the internet instead of informing us and have whatever problems solved in timely fashion.

What it is and what we offer has been properly described by hundreds of reviews from all over the world so I won’t go into that. I just need to clarify that, when we can’t have the smaller fresh croissants and have to serve the bigger ones (problems of working always with daily products), we do chop them in half. It was actually a guest that suggested it to me when he noticed that many people didn’t finish them and they were going to waste. I liked the idea and am keeping it but, just to be completely clear about it, you can take both halfs of any croissant and more.

Best regards,

Francisco Cansado Carvalho
Sierra Vista, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

I stay in B n B when I travel. This is top notch. I booked the "Playroom" and was told it was one of the smaller rooms. I am travelling solo, but it is good for two people. I can't imagine how big the other rooms are! The rooms is clean and the views from this room are amazing! The terrace is what sold me when O booked here and it is everything the pictures show. Great location. Peaceful! The hospitality is perfect! Great place "The House!"

• Stayed November 2013
Sierra Vista, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

• Stayed November 2013
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We were a group of friends and rented the whole place for us.
The place is great. Feeling like living in a cool nice private apartment.

Fantastic terrace and view : nice place to chill out after a long and busy day in Lisbon.

Location is great : 15 mns walking to Bairro alto.

And the breakfast is great (better than a lot of hotels).

The staff is very nice and welcoming and tries hard to resolve eventual problems (we had invoicing problems thats have been well resolved by staff).

Definitely a good spot in lisbon for a fair price.
AF

Room Tip: Master room is nice, big and have a private terrace with a nice view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Approaching the address a little apprehensively, along a street in a part of Lisbon that feels very much off the beaten track, you probably are getting even more concerned when you go up in the lift to the top of the building. But as soon as the lift doors open you realise you've made the right decision. You'll be welcomed (in perfect English if you need it) by someone friendly, your room will be more than adequate (some are bigger than others), but most of all when you go up to the rooftop you'll see why this has got to be one of the best places in Lisbon to stay in. The charming and knowledgeable owner Francisco, if you catch him, will also persuade you. Go go go!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Turin, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

“I left my heart in San Francisco”, sang Tony Bennett.
Lisbon , too, has its trams rattling up and down hills, traffic racing across the 25th April Bridge- which reminds me and many a traveller ,of the Golden Gate.
A good part of my heart has been left in Lisbon and it’s wonderful to go back to The House that had welcomed me on my first Lisbon trip in 2011.
Set on the Estrela hill, just behind the attractive Estrela Basilica, The House, an authentic ex -family apartment, opens its doors to its guests with a smile.
My short stay was in the room I chose and I’m pleased to see the standards appreciated by so many guests are still high. Snowy white bed-linen, fluffy towels, a lovely hot shower .
I lapped up the wonderful feeling of freedom of movement The House offers- comfortable sofas, an attractive conservatory on the top terrace floor, which can be enjoyed day and night in good and bad weather.
I also made a happy choice in going on an excursion to Sintra with two other guests . The drive out of the city, through the more recent high-rise residential areas, was interesting, as our host, Francisco, outlined the reasons behind the development schemes.
Sintra itself, so rich in beauty spots, was seen under a different light, as Francisco helped us to appreciate not only the famous landmarks, but the entire area, giving us tidbits of information on the beautiful villas and their past and present owners.
Our drive back to Lisbon took us through the hills, thick forests and up to a lookout over the Atlantic- magical. A short stop to admire the Guincho beach and then back into town via Cascais.
The House offers its guests not only good quality accommodation but also special opportunities such as an excursion with people who are more than tour guides: their hearts beat in Lisbon , for Lisbon and for Portugal

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo