“Excellent b&b.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #37 of 229 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Leuven, Belgium
“Excellent b&b.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We (family of four) stayed 3 nights at The House. We had the girls room and our girls had the boys bedroom.
I can only repeat what so many other reviewers have already stated here on tripadvisor. Nice rooms and bathrooms, very clean.
It's a very homely b&b, with great service and as the last reviewer said, a caring staff. You get a card with the owner's cellphone number 'just in case of emergencies'. Restaurant recommendations are made, tips are given on how to get cheap tram 28 tickets, etc and the owner still asks if you think anything can be improved!

The location is convenient, in a quiet residential neighbourhoud with taxi's and the starting point for tram 28 (a must do) at the near by Basilica Estrella.
I would definitely recommend this b&b and hope to return one day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Yucaipa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the House in Nov 2011, for only two nights, at the end of a Med cruise. I'm sorry we did not arrange our trip so as to stay longer in Lisbon. We are normally very frugal, and for us The House was somewhat of a splurge, but it was worth every penny. Loved their honor bar up in the terrace, Loved the homey feel. We stayed in the Girl's Bedroom, which had it's own in room bath.
While we were there, a young man had his proposal planned there. He had lured his girlfriend there on a ruse, and had a red ribbon trailing from their room door, up the stairs to the terrace, and there he had it set up with wine, etc., and proposed there with that fabulous view. Warmed my heart. Such a beautiful setting for such an important day in their lives.

Thank you Fernando!!

Room Tip: Our room was on the southwest corner, and would be the warmest in summer. But we were there in Nove...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hey_morgan
italy/uk/hungary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed 5 nights here and we really enjoyed the place. it is not too downtown, therefore out of the super tourist areas, ye in a lovely residential zone.
The rooms are nice, the interiors are nicely decorated.
I would recommend to fix a little the bathrooms, where occasionally you can smell some drainage.
Breakfast is accurate and tasty. Could be slightly improved (but I am also quite demanding!).
The House is articulated along three floors, and the top floor is basically a lovely large terrace with an amazing view. A real lounge for the fresh evenings, with a kitchen at disposal for drinks and chill out time.
The area is served by trams and I recommend a visit to the lovely Estrela park.
We stayed with our twin kids (almost 4 years old) and stayed in the Master bedroom.
Our friends (from US) stayed in other two rooms.
The owner (Francisco) is really nice and welcoming; one of his employee (Costanza) was particularly graceful and courteous.
I recommend also the restaurant down the road ( O Lavrador, looovely local food at a very low price) and another one not too far away (10 min walk) (Cantinho Lusitano) little more pricy but worth it.
Downtown I would recommend O Eurico – hard to find but like the O Lavrador…absolut good food at a very good price.

Room Tip: I would recommend the Dressing Room (best view). Please be aware that the Master Bedroom has not an...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
fcpcc1, Owner at The House, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Annaritang,

Thank you for your review. I was sorry not to say goodbye in the end but I had a medical appointment and could not wait any longer.

I completely understand why you felt it could be improved. I know that, during your stay, our service (breakfast included) was not up to our usual standards. This was due to a number of reasons coming together at the wrong time for us. To make matters worse, I cut my vacations short to get everything back on track and fell ill (today is actually the first day I am back to proper work). In any case, it is not obviously supost to happen anyway and I apologize for it.

Even so I am glad you liked it and am quite sure that, when you come back, you will like it even more.

All the best for the whole family,
Francisco
Sierra Madre, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

The House was our favorite of the inns that a friend and I stayed at during our 3 week trip to Germany, Italy, and Portugal. It was comfortable, immaculate, and had a rooftop terrace with a spectacular view of the river and the city. Catarina and Pedro provided superior service, often going beyond what was expected to extend gracious gestures. Our double room was well appointed and had a private bathroom across the hall.

The price in USD was $110.00 a night - a bargain for the convenient location, which was close to restaurants, transportation, and steps away from the Basilica.

It's hard to imagine a better place to stay for the value, unbeatable service, and rooftop view. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Sierra Madre, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Frankly, Lisbon was the best part of my 8 week European trip and The House really made it special. It was coming home each day to beauty and comfort and amazing atmosphere. I started and ended my day on the Terrace.
Thank you for your great service, scrumptious breakfast and warm, caring staff.

Room Tip: There is a great assortment of rooms. Most are not ensuite. Some are family. The website shows the r...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank peggybeau
CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

I found The House on Tripadvisor and, of course, the reviews were spot on. I'm a senior, solo, woman traveler. I was at first hesitant about the location because a major goal of my trip was to spend a good deal of time in the Alfama neighborhood for photography and The House is on the opposite side of the city. Turns out this is exactly where I needed to be. The neighborhood is.....a neighborhood.....and it was easy to pretend that I actually lived there, away from the tourists and commercial areas. There are some nice, very local and casual restaurants around the corner, and a few bakeries. A beautiful large park, with old trees, lovely gardens, and strolling paths is a few blocks away, across from the huge Basilica Estrela. The Tram 28 stops in front of the Basilica, and because the Estrella stop is usually the beginning of the line, I often got a seat for the trip to the main part of the city or all the way to the Alfama. This is a good thing because the tram is almost always very crowded; think NY city subway at rush hour but on a car that lurches around corners and stops and starts with great energy and fuss. That being said, I loved the tram, usually filled with a mixture of old people and tourists, carrying me through the narrow, winding streets.

The House was "Home" for me in Lisbon. I stayed there for 3 nights, then took a bus and stayed in Evora for 2 nights, then came back for one last night in Lisbon before flying home. When I booked, no one room was available for all of my nights, so I stayed in the Playroom for the first night, then moved to the Dressing Room for the other nights. The Playroom is small but adequate and has gorgeous views over the city. The Dressing Room is fabulous. I loved the screened/windowed balcony where I spent time watching the clouds over the Tagus and looking out over the rooves and down into the backyards. One night I was exhausted from walking all day and I had dinner on my balcony; bread, a few small, creamy rounds of exquisite cheese, a bottle of Vinho Verde wine, a pear, and some individual arroz dulce portions. Perfect!

Breakfast was just what I wanted. I had bacon and scrambled eggs. There was also a good supply of fruit and pastries and yogurt and juices. Everything was clean, neat, and just right. The other breakfast guests were all veteran travelers and we had some great conversations. Catarina was the person I saw most and she is a total delight. She can give great suggestions for restaurants and can help with anything else you might need. I was allowed to leave my main bag there when I went to Evora which made that little side trip much easier. The rooftop patio is gorgeous and I would have spent more time up there had I not been totally in love with my own little balcony.

The House was just what I wanted. I will be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank CA21
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Our one night stay was too short and at the end of our trip to Portugal. Needed to leave early for the airport and the young woman at reception offered to make us a breakfast on a tray. We ate this on our balcony overlooking the river and castle. The rooms have names, and ours was called the 'Dressing Room.' Ask for it.
Great neighbourhood with lovely park. No need to leave really, unless you are driven to sight see.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple