“Wow - amazing food, great staff, highly recommended”
Review of Assinatura - CLOSED

Assinatura
Cuisines: European, Portuguese
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Visited Assinatura based mainly on the reviews on Tripadvisor and was not disappointed. The restaurant is not that easy to find but definitely worth the effort, and once inside the decor is classy and welcoming. All of the staff spoke excellent English and were welcoming and friendly to us. Disagree with the previous reviewers who said that the menus were difficult to understand, we found that the very opposite was true and the waiter explained the various options fully. We went for the 7 course tasting menu which morphed into a 9 course menu with the addition of a free amuse bouche and a little cheese dish at the end of the meal. The food was DELICIOUS from start to finish, with a real emphasis on Portuguese produce. We were served oysters, cod, swordfish, partridge, venison, suckling pig and a lovely trio of desserts and everything was immaculately cooked and presented.

Not cheap and cheerful but most definitely a restaurant which should not be missed. Won't be surprised to hear it's beem awarded a Michelin star in the near future - it's that good.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

Don't get me wrong, the food was good and so was the atmosphere.
The main problem was the beginning -- trying to make an order. The restaurant had several tasting menus we could choose from. The problem was that the chef does not approve choosing different menus on the same table. Even choosing different menus with the same amount of dishes (the menus contained 5-9 dishes) was not an option, so the problem appears to be conceptual, and not because of the problem of different people getting different amount of dishes and the kitchen trying to synchronize it. The waitress did not know it before we came, so she took 3 orders before we gave up. (Maybe sitting in separate tables would have simplified things, but we did not feel like doing it.)
The second problem was speed. We had a five course meal and we were out after less than an hour. We hardly got any time between the courses and things felt too rushed.
As far as the food goes, it was good, but I do not think it was worth the money it cost.

1  Thank Tal S
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I am a Portuguese lover. I love strong taste and the food they serve is very rich in flavor. the beef cooked on rocks are superb. the first wine they brought were not nice, i told them i love more fruity red wine to go with my beef, he recommend the Vertente, (photo below) and it was excellent. there were not a lot of people in the restaurant as i arrived at 7 in the evening which is quite early for the locals. but then by the time i leave the restaurant, the restaurant is completely full. so booking is recommended.

Should definitely check it out, it has made my Lisbon trip more worthwhile!

1  Thank Joyce L
Reviewed November 29, 2012

To find a pearl like Assinatura on your first trip to a city always stays special. If a restaurant proclaims to bring you a experience in food with just the selection of the chef they better deliver! And they did! Its defenitely worth the money. Its even more so compared to many others we have encountered. We can and will recommend this place to anybody that loves great food and great wine! Whenever we get back to Lisboa, we will get back to Assinatura!

2  Thank Jaap F
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My mother is portuguese and a great cooker. I'm swiss, but i love my mothers food. I visit Portugal at least once a year for the last 30 years. I know a lot of restaurants from north to south from french cuisine to very traditional, from grilled sardines or roasted chicken. Assinatura was the place were i found the food more similar to my mother's flavors, with modern presentation and less fat than the traditional food. The portuguese food could be a bit heavy but at Assinatura is quite the opposite. After the 5 courses tasting menu with two surprises from the chef we were very well but we went home and slept very well. Great portuguese wines in a nice marriage with the food. As half portuguese this is a great restaurant to eat what i think is the portuguese kitchen of the future. Good product, strong flavor, not heavy.

2  Thank matil d