“Best meal we had in Lisbon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Carvoaria

Carvoaria
Ranked #197 of 4,053 Restaurants in Lisbon
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Description: This neighborhood restaurant is not in a great area but it is charming and cooks tremendous Portugese food. We ate there 3 out of 5 nights in Lisbon. IMPORTANT: They have two menus--one in Portugese and one in English. All of the very traditional dishes are on the Portugese menu and not listed on the English menu for some reason. We had bachau lau (salted cod baked in olive oil and garlic--yummy!), grilled pork wrapped in bacon and grilled with green pepper (fantastic!), grilled salmon and grilled black pig. Look around at what the Portugese are ordering and just point and say that's what you want--the wait staff speaks fairly good English. Almost everyone was Portugese from that neighborhood so we felt it was very authentic. Prices ran about 7-12 euros per person for the main course and it came with a trip to the salad bar included in the price.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best meal we had in Lisbon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

I was very skeptical when searching for this place as it's in a strange neighborhood. I'm so glad we saw it through and decided to have lunch here! We had some of the tapas they brought to our table as an appetizer (very good). We both had steak for the main course. (Mirandesa with garlic/oil and another cut with an interesting Port/ginger sauce). In my opinion the sauce wasn't even necessary because the meat was so good by itself. The meat was cooked perfectly to our liking. Just a tip, "medium" meat in this establishment will have some blood in the center, and the portions are very big (you could share one if you're getting appetizers).
The staff was very friendly and the atmosphere inside the restaurant was great.
If we ever go back to Lisbon, we'll make sure to go back here!

• Visited April 2014

“Good food, second grade service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

Carvoaria is a resturant for the hungry.
They specialise on big slices of grilled meat,
but the meat was very good.

Me and my father shared a plate of Mirandesa steak, the first one we got was too far on the raw side for both of us, but they were glad to take it back and serve is on that was more on medium/well done. And it was great, nice sear, juicy meat and good seasoning.

The service was good but not great. The restaurant was good looking, but very crowded the tables were packed close together, wich lead to there being much noise.
There was plenty of serving staff by my opinion, but the waiters still seemed busy in the fact that they took too little time with each table, and they ran around a bit too much.

In the end I deem this Carvoaria around average, if not sligthly below average. This is because my view of the waiters were that they were unorganized, but the food was great.

1 Thank Andreas S
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Good meat and friendly service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

This place was a five minute walk from my hotel, and as it had good reviews on TA I went to check it out. Local place, mostly Portuguese guests, mostly meat on the menu and loads of wine on display. I ate here twice.

First time I had the fillet (that would be tenderloin to the USAians) which comes with a help yourself serving from the salad bar, and in addition I had a side order of chips. The meat was skilfully fried, served with olive oil and plenty of garlic, but I'd personally prefer if it had had better time to mature. The chips and the salad bar was nothing to write about. Not bad, not good, just there. Feeling adventurous I ordered a dessert with a name that sounded local and it was a treat. Forgot what it was called, though...

While enjoying my fillet I noticed that many people were served some delicious looking skewers, so I decided to return to try one and didn't regret. Mixed fillet of beef and pork with a smoked sausage, tasted great.

Staff is friendly and seem to enjoy what they're doing, which helps immensely in creating a good atmosphere. Not the kind of place I'd go out of my way to visit but if staying nearby I'd definitely come back again.

• Visited March 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
“Good... but slightly overated”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Well 2 times I went there now... the grilled meat is the specialty and is very good.

For a couple, we had codfish, grilled kebab of porc and beef and a bottle of wine.... 35€ for this... so its abit overpriced.

but its worth to go there at least once...

NOTE: if you ask for a the meat MEDIUM it will come with blood!!! rare it will be like in the slaughter house

• Visited February 2014
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Overrated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

Last month I tried this restaurant (a little bit hard to find, cause there is Rua Andrade, Rua Maria and Rua Maria Andrade within 100 square meters) because of the high ranking at tripadvisor. I will be short:
The restaurant looks good and healthy in an economic sense. I saw only Portuguese people. The service was ok, average. I ordered grilled bacalhau, which can be very good in Portugal. However this turned out to be a mistake. The thin part of the fish was rotten and had this awfully bad smell. They must have noticed this in the kitchen, unless the cook had a heavy cold or anything - whatever. I won't go back there, although I liked the atmosphere.
Dissapointed.