“Please go”

Ranked #64 of 4,235 Restaurants in Lisbon
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Castelo, Alfama & Mouraria
Description: On off the least pretentious of Lisbon's Fado restaurants is also one of its finest. Hosts Duarte Santos and Ana Marina treat guests as family and the homely ambiance is warming and inviting. The homemade gastronomy is noted for its textures and flavours and generous portions, with the seafood cataplana (stew) a much-lauded feast. The menu is limited, but here it's all about the quality of the food. As for the entertainment, this is local fado at its most authentic -- the singers and musicians have known each other for years, and the performance is heartfelt and genuine. Quite often, diners are invited to join in which makes the evening truly memorable.
Chicago, Illinois
“Please go”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

What a wonderful experience. I had heard Fado forty years ago the first time I was in Lisbon and was stunned by the beauty and emotion of the genre. When I prepared to return for the first time since then, I knew that I wanted to hear it again. I researched many places and and from the enthusiastic reviews on Trip Advisor made a reservation. The experience was so heartfelt that I returned a few days later and was once again greeted with the warmth and personal attention that I had had before. What an unusual feeling it is to be remembered by name and greeted as an old friend. Duarte and Marina are family as soon as you walk in.
I was hoping to return a third time but had to return early because of an emergeny. I visited four different fado experiences while I was in Lisbon. None could come close to what I felt there. If you are ever in Lisbon, please do yourself a favor and go. Make a reservation. It is a very small place (24 or 25 guests maximum). If you have never had the experience of hearing Fado you will be hooked for life after a visit. If you know and love Fado you will fall in love all over again. If you need to know anything about Duarte and Marina, just notice that they respond to every review on this site; how much more personal can you expect. Thank you Duarte, thank you Marina. I will never forget you.

• Visited September 2012
SrFado, Proprietário at Sr. Fado de Alfama, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Mr. Joe

Thank you for your words and thank you for your contribution to an excellent environment in two nights that was between us.
This house will always be open when you want to back these friends will always welcome you with open arms

a big hug and always

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Warsaw
“One of the best experiences in my life!!”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

What is there to say other than what has already been said!! Great hospitality, great food, AMAZING singers and musicians!! At a certain time there were more musicians and singers than guests and all of this in a great family atmosphere!! Days after my visit in SR Fado, I still couldnt stop thinking about this place. Now I plan to save up some money and surprise my parents with a trip to Lisbon especially to visit SR Fado. I am sure they will love it as much as I did!!

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank OmarArnaout
SrFado, Owner at Sr. Fado de Alfama, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
dear friend
to say before your comment? this is the home of our friends, so we say it is not a restaurant but a home of our friends. We loved all the people who visit us, and feel like you understand, like you, that this is a family home rather than a restaurant. A big hug and when you want and can, be a pleasure to welcome you again.
At least one day
Paris
“What a great birthday night”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Last year, at the same time, we've ended up into a "tourist" Fado place… where there was much more noise than atmosphere and real good music.

This year, I've wanted a "real place" to celebrate one of my friends birthday. After consulting TripAdvisor I sent a mail to Sr. Fado. on Aug. 8. Though they were closed for summer vacation, I got an answer the following day from Ana Marina who confirmed my reservation for Friday, Aug. 24.

We were running a little bit late but Duarte made us feel very comfortable when we arrived. The place is a small place. Looks like much more like your grandmother dinning room than in a restaurant and we loved it.

Ana Marina was in the kitchen cooking while Duarte was taking the orders and serving. Duarte was going from table to table, always with a nice word for the guests.

We took the Cataplana (typical seafood) cooked in a utensil which is also named cataplana (shaped like two clamshells hinged at one end) as almost all other guests and we did not regret it. It was very good.

After a great dessert, at 11pm they turned down the light, push the tables and Ana Marina appeared, completely different. From a "kitchen chef" she was now a Fado singer and Duarte was playing the guitar.

What a night! Different males singers performed each with a different style but incredible voices.

There was also a German group celebrating one of their friends birthday. Duarte made an announcement, they played Happy Birthday song and Ana Marina came with a candle. My friend loved it!

Then it was the turn of Ana Marina!!! What a voice, what a talent and what an emotion!

This fantastic nights ended up around 1.30 am. My friend bought Ana Marina's CD.

Sr. Fado is not a restaurant is like going to a family reunion where at the end uncles are singing.

A beautiful experience that I will do again when going back to Lisbon!

Muito obrigada!

• Visited August 2012
SrFado, Proprietário at Sr. Fado de Alfama, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
was a pleasure for us to have chosen Mr.. Fado to celebrate the birthday of his friend, now our friends too
will always be a pleasure to welcome you again
a big hug and always
Dallas, Texas
“One of our best experiences in Lisbon”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Sr. Fado was an excellent Fado restaurant in Alfama. It is a short walk from the train/metro station. It is not located in the main square of fado restaurants by the fado museum in alfama, but is more tucked away on a sidestreet. It came recommended by the owner of the property we stayed at - and it certainly did not disappoint! The food was delicious, the atmosphere was cozy and welcoming, the hosts were excellent (the restaurant was run by a husband and wife, who do the cooking, serving and cleaning!) and spoke several languages (French, Portuguese, English.... and one other that I don't remember. Maybe German?) and utilized them to make all the guest feel welcome. The entire night and experience was lovely. Reservations recommended. If I remember, the cost was about 30-35 Euro per person.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank traveler518518
Thank you so much for joining us and being part of this small family
hope you next visit
a hug and to always
Auvernier, Switzerland
“Best fado in the City! (not a tourist trap)”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This is the most lovely place to listen to the Fado! I was in Lisbon and I saw many "Fado restaurants" and most of them are really only for tourists! This one is perfect! The staff is lovely and I recommended Sr. Fado in Switzerland to everyone! We went there and they played until late in the night even thought all the other tourists left at 1.00am. They played until we left without even telling us that they were closing... This is a proof that they only do it for passion!!!

• Visited March 2012
, Proprietário at Sr. Fado de Alfama, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
hello friends

thanks for the time to rate Mr. Fado and especially for your words based also in terms of comparison with other sites. Once again thank you when they return to Lisbon and we hope to have your sympathy with us again

a hug and always