“Modern hotel a short walk from the main squares”
Review of Lisbon City Hotel

Lisbon City Hotel
Ranked #172 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Quite a basic but very modern hotel offering good sized rooms with excellent air conditioning (outside temperature when I stayed hovered around 30˚ and the room was kept very cool). My room unfortunately had no balcony but was still well proportioned. The room was kept very clean and sheets changed daily. No safe or minibar but neither expected for the price paid for the room. The free wifi is a bonus but note that although perfectly adequate for web browsing and email checking, services such as Skype were slow and often interrupted by poor signal.

A few minor gripes though; on a couple of occasions, upon arriving back at the hotel after spending the evening out, the automatic doors of the main entrance had been disabled and closed (and reception unmanned). I had to wait around 5 minutes on both occasions before the receptionist returned to his desk. As mentioned in previous reviews, the area is fairly quiet by night so would rather not have had to wait outside for long! Also, the doors to each hotel room are armed with an alarm that sounds if the door isn't shut properly. A few times another guest on my floor failed to shut his door properly and so the alarm could be heard from my room. Breakfast was basic but perfectly adequate for the price paid for the room.

The hotel is located a short walk from the main squares in Lisbon and only a few minutes' walk away from the metro stations Anjos and Intendente. There is little in the way of restaurants in and around the hotel, the best nearest one, Portugalia, being a 15 minute walk away on Av. Almirante Reis.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a balcony, it would be advisable to email the hotel prior to or ask on arriv...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Ronnie T
LisbonCityHotel, General Manager at Lisbon City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback in tripadvisor. Your comments on our service and hotel facilities are well noted and our teams will take immediate action to improve these areas. Please accept our sincere apologies for experience encountered.

We hope you would stay with us again.

Best regards,

Reviewed July 3, 2012

This hotel is a step up from a hostel and not much more. On the plus side it is very clean and our room had a little balcony with a great view. I was uncomfortable in the neighborhood and didn't dare venture off very far, made sure I was in by dark.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
LisbonCityHotel, General Manager at Lisbon City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your fruitful comments following your stay with us. We will constantly improve our services to provide greater experience to every guest.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed April 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed here one night after coming off a cruise and needed an overnight stay before flying back home early the next day. The hotel itself is very clean with IKEA-style furniture throughout. The staff was very helpful. We arrived two hours before check-in but the receptionist made a special request to housekeeping to get our room cleaned first so we could go up and relax before heading downtown. We walked about 15 or so blocks to the heart of the downtown shopping area, it was a nice day, but probably not doable when it is raining. The immediate neighborhood is spotty. We encountered young couples strolling but were also approached twice by drunkards asking for food and/or money. We got a larger room on the sixth floor. The room is comfortable and seemed well cleaned as was the bathroom. Everything looked rather new. There is free wifi in the rooms, which is a plus, but the lighting is poor and only one outlet near the desk, so I had to unplug the overhead light in order to recharge my laptop. A minor complaint overall. Would recommend this hotel for a one night stay at a very reasonable price (60 euros).

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carolynn S

Dear Guest,

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed March 29, 2012

My boyfriend and me were staying in the hotel in June 2011 and were very pleased with the accommodation and the service. The rooms are very clean, the furniture is new (basic but new) and, as far as I can tell, every room has a balcony (which is quite convenient when you want to have a glass of wine and a cigarette before you go to sleep). The bathrooms are very, very clean - spotless. Breakfast buffet is basic - coffee, tea, juice, ham, cheese, jams and pastries, all in accordance with the price.

We stayed there for 6 days and loved the town and the hotel. People at the front desk were very nice (some did not speak English all that well, but they did their best). Hotel is rather cheap and very close to the town center (app. 15 min. walk, but you have a metro station like 20 meters from the hotel, if you're not into walking).

To conclude, I would definitely recommend this hotel and if I ever go back to Lisbon, I'll make sure to book my stay at this very hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MartinaKiky
LisbonCityHotel, General Manager at Lisbon City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear client.
We thank you very much for the description of your experience in our
hotel. Your feedback about the room and treatment is the
best incentive, not only for the management, but also for the hotel staff:
our most important purpose is making of your stay an unforgettable
experience.
We hope to welcome you again when you return to Lisbon.
Thank you again for choosing Lisbon City Hotel.
Kind regards.

Reviewed January 14, 2012

First I have to say that I choose this hotel on internet on the same day I've come, because previous hotel that I've reserved before coming to Lisbn was completely not acceptable.
In the reception I've met two very friendly and very helpful guy and girl. I was travelling with friends and was very important to me to have a room next to friends and with one bed for two. After a little wainting my request was granted.
Room was very good, comfortable, good workind AC (I was there in new years eve, and in the night was quite cold outside).
But unfortunately good feelings was crushed by a receptionist which was on duty next day. We'd invited a friend for a drink, after that we wanted to go to the club. Receptionist began to lead an investigation, who he was, what was his name and what is he going to do.... It was very unexpected for me, I had never met this behaviour in 3*** hotels. His duty was call me if I want to pass my friend or not. Nothing else, especialy that he was my guest for an hour, not for all night. The most unexpectable was that receptionist warned us that he'll call the police (!!!)
My guest was very upsed, and he went out. I felt very bad. Next day another receptionist said his sorry, but tried to excuse his co-worker.
The second strange situations was that we asked receptionis to call the taxi. He did it, and told us that we should use only cab number 1. It turned out the taxi driver do not know where to go, driven us all over the streets, we had to shout at him to turn of the counter.
Summary... hotel is good, good localisation, to Bairo Alto about 20 min walk, but service deffinitely to learn how to work properly. Guy and girl at the first - gr8 job, but man next day.. to fire.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank pit2606
LisbonCityHotel, General Manager at Lisbon City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear Customer:
First I want to thank you for filling out the TripAdvisor questionnaire relating to your stay and our hotel. I am glad that the room, location and helpful staff were to your liking during your stay.
All the security questions sometimes asked to strangers that are not staying in the Hotel are for you own safety.
Regarding to what happens with the taxis outside the Hotel, unfortunetly it is dificult to be controlled by the Hotel.
We are working to correct our mistakes and your words help us to improve. We always hope our customers have a pleasant stay and excellent service.
We apologize if in any way we did not live up to your expectations.
We apreciated your comments and we are pleased that the service is to your liking.
We hope to see you in your next visit to Lisbon.

Thank you very much.
Sincerely

Reviewed January 2, 2012

I booked this hotel because it is super close to the city center (you can reach rossio by walking in 15 minutes) and the undergraoud stop intendiente is just near by if you dont feel like walking. The area seems a bit dodgy at first sight, but it is not and it is very quiet in the night.
The hotel is brand new, dont expect a tipical portogues style, it is very aseptic, but very clean and tidy. The rooms are big enought, the only weakness is that they are a bit dark. Staff is very friendly and helpful. I found a good deal so a double room costed me only 40 euros per night.
I would definately recommend it to make the most of this beautiful city!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rubinthedust

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Lisbon City Hotel and for your valuable comments. We appreciate your compliment on the staff and guestroom comfort during your visit. We look forward to welcoming you to our hotel again in the near future.

Best Regards.

Reviewed December 5, 2011

This is good hotel for the price paid. (in my case 40 euros per night) It wont leave you speechless, but u ll feel fine and comfortable. Rooms are not so big (single room) but has everything u need, you will anyway use it just to sleep over, right. It's clean, and comfortable, and there is no noise, even hotel is almost in the city centre. in front of the hotel (30 meters) is metro station Intendente, and thats the best way to travel Lisbon. With one day card - cost 4,60 euros - u can use all the transportation, even those carries and boats. hotel staff is nice and friendly and they are willing to help u with anything. (i asked for some help in translating from Portugese). The best thing is u even dont need taxi to go from airport to hotel. Instead of that, take bus 98 (the one that goes from airport to center) but take off at the first stop. Then cross the street (a bit left) and take bus 708 which will take you literally in front of the hotel - take off at Intendente station. I think its 12 stops from station u get in and get out. Hotel breakfast is fine (selfservice "swedish table" and u can eat good.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Dear client.
We thank you very much for the description of your experience in our
hotel. Your feedback about the room, cleanliness, breakfast, location and treatment is the
best incentive, not only for the management, but also for the hotel staff:
our most important purpose is making of your stay an unforgettable
experience.
We hope to welcome you again when you return to Lisbon.
Thank you again for choosing Lisbon City Hotel.
Kind regards.