“Stunning design, beautiful but don't eat there”

Inspira Santa Marta Hotel
Ranked #31 of 248 Hotels in Lisbon
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London
“Stunning design, beautiful but don't eat there”
Reviewed August 29, 2011

This hotel is beautifully designed from walking into reception to the bedrooms. Nothing is broken and everything is exceptionally clean! I defy anyone to be disappointed with their room. Rooms are smart and maintained well. There is a really nice jacuzzi/steam room sauna area which for some reason the hotel keeps hidden. The reception team are professional and friendly.

The negatives i have is mainly the breakfast. Its really disorganized, staff looks miserable and badly positioned. The breakfast is the same every day which i got a bit fed up with. Stay away from the bacon its terrible, in fact the hot breakfast is very disappointing. In 10 days of staying there i was never offered a coffee once and just jugs of tepid water for tea and diluted orange juice.
Don't use the room service! i ordered a breaded chicken breast with vegetables. The kitchen failed to cook it throughout so when it turned up at my room the chicken was uncooked and raw throughout the inside. They did however take it away but was presented a few mins later with the same chicken breast but cooked. Clearly cross contamination isn't a big issue for them but it was for me especially when paying nearly 20 euros! and yes i was charged despite this.

I would recommend this hotel to a friend but for 100 euros a night service could to be better but this problem isn't confined to the santa marta hotel but to most places you go in Lisbon for food

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank joshuag
Inspira1, General Manager at Inspira Santa Marta Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
Dear "Joshuag",
Thank you for your feedback regarding the hotel. Your comments have been read carefully and taken on board, You have clearly experienced an unfortunate situation with regards to breakfast and room service and we apologise for this. I assure you this experience is not typical of our high standards and you can see this from the majority of positive comments we have on trip advisor.
I hope that if you do come back to Lisbon in the not too distant future, that you willl betaying with us and I am sure we will show our true colours on that occasion! Please contact us directly should you wish us to make the appropriate arrangements.
With renewed apologies,
Nick Roucos.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kent
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. It is excellent value for money at the moment especially if you book in advance. The interior is modern and attractive and not what you expect when you drive up to the front. The rooms were comfortable with a good shower. I had an excellent massage at the spa which I would highly recommend - there is a discount for hotel guests. The breakfast was simple but good and the restaurant is modern with well sourced ingredients. The hotel is in a good central location however it is difficult to park outside. If you arrive by car it is better to drive straight into the car park just past the hotel. There isn't a baggage porter so you need to bring your luggage up in the lift from the car park. There is a useful taxi rank outside. We will definitely return here on our next trip to Lisbon. The lo

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank LAW64
Dear "LAW64",
Thank you for your feedback - Delighted everythign was to your liking and I hope we can make your stay even more memorable on the next occasion!
Zonhoven, Belgium
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We went to Lisboa previous week voor 4 days. We stayed at the Inspira Santa Marta and were overwhelmed by the cleanliness and luxurious of the hotel. First, the staff :
very kind and helpfull, nothing was too much for them to do or answer.
Then there was our room : WOW !!!! We got the suite, because we just got married and my husband turned 50. The Room was breathtaking!!! Modern Furniture; desig bathroom, we even got à round bathtub in the middle of our bathroom!!! Also there was champagne and strawberries, soaked in chocolate. mmm
The hotel is also well situated, nearby metro and city center.
The breakfast was ok and the fresh fruis excellent!!!
I would definitely recommend this hotel to everybody!!! I think it is one of the best hotels you could find in this area. If we will come back to Lisboa, we will book this hotel again!
Thanks à lot !!! You made our stay unforgettable !!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Inspira1, General Manager at Inspira Santa Marta Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
Dear "Petra Erik"
Thank you for your comments regarding the hotel. I was delighted that we managed to make this a most memorable experience for you. I do hope you will visit us again!
izmir turkey
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Inspira Santa Marta Hotel Lisbon is very clean and new.The location is good.You can easily walk to many sightseeings.
Especially I want to advise the transport to the airport by AEROBUS.Because the ticket is valid 24 hours in the city buses and trams.As we arrived we bought the Aerobus tickets in the bus from the driver and with the same tickets we could go to many places at the first day and 24 hours before we left Lisbon we bought our Aerobus tickets and with these tickets we visited many places and at the end to the airport.So far as I remember one way Aerobus ticket cost only 3.5 euro.I wanted to share my exprience..Lisbon is worth to see.

Room Tip: If you are a memeber of the hotelchain show your membershipcard and request an upgrade
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ayhanbalim
Inspira1, General Manager at Inspira Santa Marta Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2011
Dear Ayhanbalim
Thank you very much for your review on the hotel. We were very pleased you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and in Lisbon.
Hope you will visit us again.
Athens, Greece
Reviewed August 13, 2011

When i first saw the interior of the hotel i thought that i'll have again to deal with a "design over functionality" hotel. Well, the experience was better i have to admit and since i believe that mainly in a hotel you want to sleep well (as in a restaurant you mainly want to eat well) and i did, there goes the 4 stars rating.
Briefly i give you the good news:
*everything looks (and is) new.
*there's a nice desk/workstation in the rooms
*the rooms are spacy
*there's a nice lcd 32" tv with internetional channels
*everything is VERY clean
*free wifi in the room or the use of computers at the reception
*safety (elevators are working only with the room card)
*High quality linens and pillows - VERY good sleep quality!
*nice big shower (with "puffy" new towels). The toilete is a separate small room.
* free coffee, tea, water (sparkling or natural) in your room that are refilled daily!
*free use of gym, sauna and the spa facilities (except the massage).
*nice reception - except the recommentations which are "touristic".
*the breakfast is not rich but everything seemed very fresh and was tasty.
*they offer the wine in every lunch/dinner in the hotel's restaurant.

The not so good news:
*99% of the rooms are facing the walls of the nearby buildings, so no view at all and that's it - accept it or look elsewhere. I hate that, but after all the good news about the sleep quality i got over it.
*The windows are locked - and i hate that more. I ask the reception gently to unlock it. They said that people ask for that and then they smoke which is not allowed. I told them we're not smokers (me & my wife) so she opened the half of it (the top drop which means it was open for only 2cm) and then she lock it again on that possition! The next three days i had a bit of fresh air, much of the noise day and night (since it couldn't close well as it was locked).
*very small closet and only 4 hangers(!).
*parking cost 16,5 euro per day. I parked outside for three days and it costed me a total of about 5 euros since it's free of charge after 19:00 to 09:00 next morning. If they have priced the parking in a more logical price like 10 euros per day they would have more money and i would have been more satisfied.
*very complicated lightning system (design over functionality as i told you before).
*The recommendations of the reception couldn't be more touristic! If you ask for a restaurant they recommend you instantly "sacramento" or "salgadeiras" no matter what you're looking for and for a fado night they recommend "Faia" as the best choise which is just a tourist trap as you can check. The locals i asked recommended me instantly "Senior Vinho" as the best - it is i think. I hope that these recommendations are not a direction from the administration - i guess is just a way to complete the customer's request fast...

Good luck whatever you'll choose to do. :o)

a small note for the manager:
Dear Mr Roucos (as i see that you read all of the reviews about your hotel) please don't give me another formal answer/comment like "Please rest assured we have taken on board your constructive comments about ...(the problem description) .....and we will ensure steps are taken to improve immediately".
I really appreciate that you listen to me and the feeling i get is that you're trying. But some facts are just as they are! The closets are tiny even only for my shirts - not to mention my wife's stuff ! The walls isn't the best view. You can't change these things. If you really want to do something, at least unlock the windows!
We liked your hotel, we recommend it and we'll be back when we'll in Lisbon again.
Thank you for your hospitality and keep up the good work! :o)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank nikosgeo
Inspira1, General Manager at Inspira Santa Marta Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Dear nikosgeo,

Thank you very much for the "good news" and also the few "not so good".... If you notice from our responses to our reviews, you will notice that we do try to respond in a personalized manner to most, we do not wish them to be formal.
The many good news you mention are indeed many and that is great for us. Your comments are of great help, even the "not so good" ones : we can also accept that we do have some points we cannot change as you very well put it.. We cannot change many of the views from our rooms and this is typical of most Lisbon city center hotels. This being said there are steps we can take to make someone's stay more comfotable: we can try to, availability permitting, allocate rooms that have more closet space for longer stays and we generally do. I am also positive that we can give good tips at Reception with regards to local restaurants and places of interest and we generally do ...As for the lighting system, we have tried to improve this by providing a little booklet in the room that explains how the system works. As for car parking, we will discuss the possibility of happing more attractive rates in the summer months with our car park operator...All in all, we are glad you enjoyed our hospitality and thank you mostly for encouraging us to "keep up the good work". We will keep at it and do hope to see you back soon in the hotel.
New York
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Went for my birthday and asked for nice view room, got walls of another building but room was lovely and clean and modern. Big moan was the bathroom! This was just like a fish tank, all clear glass walls except for the toilet. Yes, that's right - if you are in the bed or anywhere in the room you can see the other person using the shower, shaving, washing! Mini bar is free but only 2 small bottles beer, orange juice, coke and water and nowhere near enough milk for the tea and coffee. We tried the breakfast for €12.5 each. This was very poor, had to repeatedly ask for bacon, scrambled eggs were cold and if you wanted toast or cereals you had to ask and wait for ages. Tea was cup of hot water then wait for teabags then when I asked for milk I had to wait and wait again and tea was then cold so drank without milk. Asked for another cup of tea and same thing happened. Would not bother. Never used the Spa as nobody there when I went to look. The bar is hidden away and had to hunt for somebody to serve us and it is very expensive. We sat in the lobby as nothing or no-one was in the bar and still had to hunt for someone every time we wanted a drink. Shame! But on the positive side, this is a very new hotel and the staff are very helpful and friendly except the breakfast staff. Also don't book via expedia or the like as they charge a fee and you pay the balance to the hotel, just go on their own site and book. Be careful of the cabs, they will stripe you up as we found out! Let the hotel book your cabs, much much cheaper. We got the 48 hour tour bus ticket. This was great as you can also use it on all the public trams and buses and also gives you free use of the vehnicular and the lift thing. Great value. Have fun and enjoy.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank neasey
Inspira1, General Manager at Inspira Santa Marta Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Dear "neasey"
Thank you very much for your feedback. Please rest assured we have taken on board your constructive comments about breakfast service and the bar and we will ensure steps are taken to improve immediately. As you can see from other comments most of our clients do give as a positive rating so I do believe that the breakfast experience was a one off though, once again, thank you for giving us the opportunity to get it right.
Kirkenes, Norway
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We stayed at the Inspira for a week in the beginning of May, and loved it! We booked it after a little Tripadvisor research, and can confirm what most others write about it. In short: calm and almost tranquil atmosphere, very convenient location, fantastic rooms with comfortable beds and nice breakfast! Unlike a few other members we found the bathroom-bedroom solution and the light settings not to be problems. The restaurants we tried nearby (a few of many) were all excellent. We got married during our stay at the Inspira, and the hotel was a perfect place to start the honeymooning!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnetteJens
Dear "AnneteJen"
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the hotel. I am glad that we managed to add a positive memory to your honeymoon! I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back some day!