“Just what we wanted - Fado night”
Review of Caldo Verde

Caldo Verde
Ranked #3,349 of 4,353 Restaurants in Lisbon
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Bairro Alto, Bica & Cais do Sodre
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Some co-workers and I wanted to catch some Fado but not with one of the tourist clubs or hotel-sponsored traps. We were wandering around Bairro Alto early on a Saturday night (8-8:30 pm) so our options were limited. This place fit the bill perfectly, and we enjoyed the Fado, the atmosphere, and not paying a fortune.

Later in my visit, I took a different group for Fado elsewhere and it delivered a similar experience for higher prices. Still, when in Lisboa, one must catch a Fado and I was happy with our experience here.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We had an enjoyable time here. Food was ok, waiters very polite, prices were reasonable. Live fado music in the background made for a wonderful atmosphere (in spite of all the sadness that comes with it!).

1  Thank Afrodeeta
Reviewed December 30, 2013

First off all I have to say that I'm living in Lisbon but I dont know many Fado house because it's always the same situation. We were walking on the street and a suspicious guy take us to this restaurant saying that the food is very cheap (He was saying 9/10€, guess he didn't even knew the prices...)
I went there to ear some Fado and to have a romantic dinner. But the waiter wanted to put us in a table that was already occupied by another people. My answer was of course no. Then He came back and ask us to seat in a empty table (there was 3 empty tables in the restaurant...). Then He came back again and said we must really have to share a table, at that moment I just said I was leaving. He ask me to stay that he would talk again with someone I guess to the manager or owner (and I only stayed because the person I was with beg me to). When he came back everything was ok. He gave me a big smile as nothing happened and we stayed in the same table (alone of course).
The dinner was nice but not nice enough for the price they ask. I guess I would pay half for it.
There was this lady who looked like she was the boss that went to the dinning and shouted something to the waiters. I mean I wasn't paying 5€ to the meal and I expect the service of the price they ask.
I stayed there listening the music and enjoying the show (that wasn't bad but wasn't that good either) and wonder wonder the other tables didn't even were occupied.
I think this is a place that's looking for easy money from the tourists and if you can, avoid it.

1  Thank Ana G
Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

This is the first negative review we have ever posted anywhere - hopefully you can avoid our mistake! We decided to have dinner and enjoy some Fado when approached by the owner - the restaurant seemed fine and the prices were reasonable compared with other Fado places. Big mistake! Clearly this is an example of "you get what you pay for"! We asked the waitress to recommend a bottle of wine. Her recommendation was awful by any standard. The appetizer of melon and ham showed more promise only to be followed by tasteless paella with badly overcooked meat and seafood. Part way through the evening the maitre d moved a woman to our table without our agreement to accommodate friends of the singer. She was nice enough, but we thought it odd that she was seated with us without asking. To cap things off, the fado singers were incredibly disappointing. The first woman sang reasonably well, but only 2 short songs; the next fellow had no talent and couldnt keep pitch for anything. The last woman was unable to project at all and couldn't be heard. Strange and dreadful experience with no redeeming qualities. We were sorry we hadn't paid more for good food and a professional fado performance given the evening still cost €70.

3  Thank flymimi
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Caldo Verde has been the only place that I go to Bairro Alto to see good fado with quality prices and great food. The singers add a certain flair to the restaurant that impresses with great bacalhau (cod) dishes. Try the one with cornbread crumbles. It is my favorite.