“Wow”

Altis Belem Hotel & Spa
Ranked #22 of 253 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Great stylish room with nice view on marina, very modern with high quality furniture and lot's of space. Good bed. Top service, very clean hotel, low noise. Windows can be opened. Make sure to have a view onto the harbor or river.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
altisbelem, General Manager at Altis Belem Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Thank you for your choice on the Altis Belem Hotel & Spa during your stay in Lisbon.

On the behalf of our staff I thank you for the time you dedicate us on sharing your experience and opinion on this site.

We continue to strive and deliver quality services which are a hallmark of Altis guest service excellence and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

There are newer reviews for Altis Belem Hotel & Spa

Reviewed September 9, 2012

It was our first visit to Lisbon. We booked four nights at the Altis Belém. I was left with mixed feelings about the hotel.

This started with our arrival. The taxi from the airport could not get the barrier to open so dropped us at the gate. The entrance is fairly obscure. It is a plain glass door opening into a glass corridor, which I mistook for a fire escape exit and walked straight past it. It looks like a side door in an office building. Once through the door, you have to walk down a corridor to find the reception. There is no doorman or staff on hand to help with luggage. Indeed on the one of only two occasions anyone held the door open for me, was a member of staff going outside for a smoke. At any time of the day a number of hotel staff can be found outside the hotel puffing away. Therefore, the meet and greet is far from 5-star.

Check in was smooth and efficient and the hotel had taken note of my request for two rooms next to each other. We had room 118 (a diplomatic suite for us) and 117 (a deluxe room for my 16 year old daughter). 118 is a corner suite, which has a balcony and fabulous views over both the Targus River and the Doca do Bom Sucesso marina. The location is fantastic and feels very much like a sea view.

The rooms were both very nice. There were a few minor irritations. As many reviewers have noted, if you do not ensure that the shower doors is sealed tight, the bathroom quickly floods. This happened to both my wife and me. Also, the bathroom has clear glass walls, offering no privacy at all (the WC is separate). Personally, I prefer privacy when I wash and bathe and a band of privacy film applied to the glass would be welcome. There was no shower in my daughter's room just a bath, which was disappointing. The lighting system in the rooms is also unnecessarily fiddly. However the rooms are scrupulously clean, the sheets are changed daily and the rooms have a very light and airy feel to them.

The other thing I had not noticed was they actually charge guests for using the coffee making facilities in the room! I have stayed in all manner of hotels from some very cheep hotels and guest houses in my younger days through to 5-star and I have never been charged for this before. We were charged 4.40 Euros per time cup of coffee, which of course we had to make ourselves and no milk was provided. Personally I think this is outrageous and I would not have used the facilities on principle had I been aware that I would be charged at the time.

We tried Bar 38°41' (its geographical coordinates) although if you visit the bar during the day you could be forgiven for believing that the 41 minutes refers to how long it takes them to serve you a drink. We were in the bar one afternoon, with 10 other guests and 3 bar staff. It took them 17 minutes to deliver our drinks. The service is so abysmal that we only stayed for two drinks. In contrast, we ate two evening meals at café Mensagem and we had our breakfast there every morning. I thought the food and service were first rate and would recommend them. I did not try the Michelin star restaurant (Feilaria Bar) as I did not like the menu but it looked very busy in the evenings so I suspect it is very good.

The real advantage of the Altis Belém is its location. It is about 20 minutes from the centre of Lisbon either by cab or hop on a number 15 Tram, which stops a couple of minutes walk from the hotel. There is so much to do within walking distance of the hotel, that there is little need to travel into central Lisbon. The two main UNESCO sites of the Jeronimos Monastery and Fort are a couple of minutes walk from the hotel as are loads of museums, the presidential residence and the tropical gardens. If I return to Lisbon, I will definitely stay in Belém.

Overall, the hotel has some cutting edge design some of which works, such as the rooms and balconies, the airy reception and public spaces and some of which does not such as the very dark corridors, glass bathrooms, poorly sealed shower doors and concealed main entrance (made worse by the lack of a doorman). The hotel is bolstered by serving first class food. Therefore, I would rate it as very good rather than excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the marina as they have the best views.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Also on the behalf of our staff I thank you for the time you dedicate us on sharing on this site your opinion on such a profitable way to show how much our team still have to improve, your comments and suggestions help us fine-tune our services, we have taken good note of your opinion to keep working on refining.

Looking forward to welcome you back in the future to the Altis Belém Hotel & Spa, I remain

Reviewed September 1, 2012

We went from The Oitavos in Cascais to Altis Belem in Lisbon. It took some adjustment.
From the country to the city. From a large hotel to a design hotel. The exterior of the hotel – modern architecture – was exciting. The interior matched that. The hotel is situated on the banks of Tejo, so the view is beautiful.
The receptionist at the hotel was extremely welcoming. Unfortunately the – as they advertise - ‘exclusive gourmet restaurant specialising in signature dishes’ Feitoria was closed for the holiday. That was a big disappointment. But the sushi chef at the other restaurant almost made up for that. The menu was very nice. Breakfast was lovely.
The modern design rooms were comfortable and offered a wonderful view on the river. Amazing to experience the wonders of nature when from one moment to another the view was blogged by a fog, which disappeared as quick as it appeared.
Three of us visited the Bspa. I was enthusiastic about Magda who gave me a manicure and a pedicure. Magda has devine hands. My husband had a massage and my daughter a facial programme. Both of them were not impressed. They rated it as ‘ok’. Important to say that my husband compared it to his massage 2 days earlier at the Oitavos, which was “of a different class”. It is hard to beat that. What I personally did not like at the Bspa was the pushiness of the staff to sell Karin Herzog products. When I came in, they were ambushing a guest. When I finished there was the ambush again. I don’t feel this type of behaviour, hard sell, suites a 5-star hotel. I blame management, because I figure that the pushiness comes from the reward system implemented by management. If you put a target on sales of the products, then you can expect pushiness from the staff. Furthermore they mixed up our reservation; they booked it for the wrong day.
All in all a very nice hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Banoyi

Also on the behalf of our staff I thank you for the time you dedicate us on sharing your experience with thw world on this site.

Your comments and suggestions help us fine-tune our services, we have taken good note of your opinion to keep working on improving.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Fall asleep and waking up looking to the Tagus River, in a extraordinary city like Lisbon and in an amazing hotel, where the kindness and efficiency of the staff are 2 of its major brands, makes this stay an unique experience.
We strongly recommend it.
Felipe Frazão

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
altisbelem, General Manager at Altis Belem Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Also on the behalf of our entire staff I thank you for the time you dedicate us on sharing such a motivating review, your comments and suggestions help us to improve our services and to motivate our team.

We are all looking forward to welcome you back in the future to the Altis Belém Hotel & Spa.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

In contrast to the city of Lisbon, Altis Belem is a superbly modern hotel located in the suburb of Belem, a short 10 minutes taxi ride from the city center. Belem has a lot of things to offer tourist, such as the Belem tower, the monastery, the museum, etc, all within walking distance from the hotel.

We stayed here for 5 nights and enjoyed every moment of it. The hotel exudes total relaxation and pampering. We love the elegantly designed room with floor to ceiling window, which can be fully opened creating that al fresco look. Each of the room is unique in terms of wall colours, design, and ambiance, ours was in the 'african wing' of the hotel.

The hotel also had an extensive array of spa facilities (indoor pool, hammam, sauna), gym (small but somewhat adequately equipped), and small outdoor swimming pool on the rooftop. You'll get an amazing view from the rooftop.

Everything was just great. I have no bad things to say about this hotel. Will definitely come back when I got the chance.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mrtravelmore
altisbelem, Gerente geral at Altis Belem Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Also thank you for the time you dedicate us on sharing here your opinion and such a great description about the property and it's privileged location.

Me and the entire team will be looking forward to welcome you back in the future to the Altis Belém Hotel & Spa.

Warm regards

Reviewed August 17, 2012

It was a really good surprise when i first visited Altis Belem
I had a breakfast with my mentor and I had the best yogurt (vanilla) i've ever had, the bread was also really good and all natural juices and fruits were incredible. - we had breakfast outside looking at the marina and the view was as good as the delicious food.
A few days ago i went with my boyfriend and a friend to have some cocktails and was already late (around 23.00h), everything else was closed (it was a monday) and we basically had the outside seats all for us, the cocktails were very tasty and well prepared (not only tasty but looking great) and the view (looking at Tejo river) was the perfect ambience for us. The barmen was really nice letting us stay even after the closing hours and was really polite when saying we had to leave.

Both experiences gave me the best impression possible.

Room Tip: I didn't sleep at the hotel but i can recommend the rooms with views to the river! It is totally...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Margarida N

Also on the behalf of our staff I thank you for the time you dedicate us on sharing your opinion with the world on Tripadvisor Your comments and suggestions help us fine-tune our services and motivating the team, they really enjoy to be focused.

Looking forward to welcome you back in the future to the Altis Belém Hotel & Spa.

Warm regards

Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

Very stylish boutique hotel and very friendly service. Quiet Location right in the middle of the historical centre of Belem and a EUR10 taxi ride to the city centre. Bring your trainers so that you can go sunset jogging along the river front. Walking distance from key tourist attractions such as Jeronimos and Belem famous custard cakes. Lots of nice restaurants around. Perfect for a long weekend.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank SummerDahlings
altisbelem, General Manager at Altis Belem Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Thank you for choosing Altis Belem Hotel & Spa during your stay in Lisbon.

Also on the behalf of our staff I thank you for the time you dedicate us on publishing and sharing your opinion on Tripadvisor Your comments and suggestions help us fine-tune our services.

We will be looking forward to welcome you back in the future to the Altis Belém Hotel & Spa,

Best Regards