“A fantastic place that couldn't be better!!!!!!”
Review of Pensao Royal

Pensao Royal
Ranked #93 of 262 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 20, 2013

It's difficult to put into words just how good the Pensao Royal was. It is described as a hostel, but it could not be further removed from the 'traditional hostel'. The value for money is fantastic - our room was a good size, with an en-suite bathroom and breakfast (which was phenomenal) also included in the price. The rooms are a little quirky but they are modern and spotlessly clean. The location is excellent - in the centre of the city in the Baixo district. This is just a short walk to a number of sights and shops and it is located a few metres from the metro and tram stops and the Rossio train station is only a 5 minute walk away. The owner (Paula) is a star - she made us feel very welcome and nothing was too much trouble. She saved us so much money by offering excellent travel/ticket advice and recommended some fantastic places to eat, which we would never have found on our own. Back to the breakfasts - this really was one of the best breakfasts we have had at a hotel - as well as the usual cereals, meats and fruits, there was an abundance of cakes, tarts and pastries - all of which were home made by Paula through the night! We have been to a number of European cities and stayed in a range of 1 -5* hotels and would definitely recommend the Pensao Royal for location, cleanliness, customer service and the breakfast:-) We will be going back!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pete s

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Great valueformoney. The breakfast is famous and worth the compliments to be found here. Paula's advice beats any guide book and helped us see the best of Lisbon. Thanks for an amazing few days in this incredible city!

Room Tip: Cat room lovely!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We arrived at Pension Royal address but could not see a sign for the B and B. We entered via the open, unlocked door on the street level and the women smoking on the first floor landing told us that Pension Royal was on the 3rd floor. We carried our packs and bags up an interior dank stairwell that reeked of cigarettes....about 50 stair steps...

We were buzzed into the reception area, and shown to our double room.. It was a bright magenta pink room about 11 feet square with a large bed in the center and an en suite bathroom. There was no closet, dresser,or table for belongings. We did not notice any other furniture in the room.

The lady who checked us in was very pleasant. We had reserved the unit for 5 nights. We paid for one night, but decided we could not stay. Thus, we cannot attest to the comfort of the bed nor the quality of the food served....

It is just not what we expected after reading multiple reviews which evaluated this property as a “5”, the top rating. It should be noted that we have stayed in at least 20 B and B units in 5 European countries, and this is the first time we found one that was unacceptable.

Room Tip: Be aware that the building itself is not secure and it is a long climb to the third floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Kerry W
Reviewed October 11, 2013

On the plus side: The hotel is quirky and fun and the breakfast is amazing! Large and very comfortable room and bed. Location is excellent just down from the Metro. Quiet. On the minus side: There are a lot of stairs up to the hotel (65!). The towels were clean but smelt a bit of smoke.

Room Tip: We had the butterfly room and had the best sleep of our trip!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LanaSingapore
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I loved our stay in Pensao Royal. Paula is a great host. She is the best to tell you all the little tips, to make your stay amazing. Great location, very central but not noisy. The room was beautifully decorated, and the breakfast is just amazing !

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2013

This is not a guest-house. It is also not a small hotel. It is something else, a very special place, even a kind of magic place. Now, Lisbon can be seen as a magical city, so it is fitting for the location, but this is not it. Whereas, Lisbon is melancholic and introvert, this place is not, so it is actually a contrast to the city. The first time you arrive, you certainly don't know what to expect. The building in the Baixa district does not really look promising. You stand there wondering if this was indeed the right choice. Then you walk up three floors and wonder again, how many times a day I will be able to walk up this floor. None of this prepares you for your destination. The stair-case looks like it has seen better days and then you come to the door and ring the bell. A woman opens the door and asks you in and in many ways you don't really know what you see now is real or not. You feel like you just walked through the door of your children's room and into a magic world of fairy-tales. You haven't seen so many different colors since childhood, stuffed animals, dolls and many little things you can't possibly pay attention the first time. I arrived very tired from a nightly train ride from Madrid, it was very early in the morning and I couldn't really distinguish if this was my fatigue or if this place was indeed real. The owner of the place, Paula, who over the next days was a like a good fairy of her Pensao showed me my room. When I entered it, I was overwhelmed by the colors, the walls, the dolls, the pillows on the bed. I had re-entered childhood and nobody has prepared me for that. Since it was early in the morning, Paula the fairy, asked me to come to the kitchen and have breakfast. So, I went into the kitchen. Again, I was not sure, if it was my fatigue or something else, but I don't remember seeing a colorful kitchen like this in decades. I looked at the table and there it was, I was invited to a birthday party of 8 year olds. Pastries, cookies, chocolates, cakes, everything little kids liked. I was so overwhelmed I couldn't touch anything and just had a cup of coffee – yes, coffee, grown ups live here anyway.
In short this is a magic place. My room was spacious, the bathroom rather large, impeccably clean and cleaned every day. I couldn't have felt better in a five star hotel. Paula – I still wonder if she is a real person or one of the heteronyms of Fernando Pessoa – is always there to answer your questions. She is there when you wake up early in the morning to prepare breakfast, she is there when you come back in the afternoons to rest and she is there when you arrive late at night after being out. And she will answer all your questions, where to eat, where to walk, where to listen to Fado and whatever it is you want to know about Lisbon. The location is extremely convenient, right next to the Metro stop of the Baixa (thus it will take you around 30 minutes to get to or from the airport with one change); you can walk to the Alfama neighborhood or the Barrio Alto, all very near. You just need to figure out how many times you want to walk up the three floors. If this does not bother you, go there, no need to search for another place. I hardly remember being in such a special place before. And being transported into a magic world of your childhood has some advantages and counts for something. The price is more than fair for what you get. Just remember: don't expect the comfort of a 5 star hotel and if climbing stairs is not for you, go somewhere else, but Lisbon is about climbiing anway. I would never go anywhere else in Lisbon.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 30, 2013

All I can do is repeat all the positive comments left by other reviewers. Penao Royal is very clean, brightly decorated and a welcoming environment. Paula is a great host and obviously likes people to feel at home. And of course, the phenomenal breakfast! Very well situated in the centre of Lisbon too, close to various forms of transport making day trips very easy.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple