“Paula and her colorful hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pensao Royal

Pensao Royal
Ranked #56 of 203 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Budapest, Hungary
“Paula and her colorful hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I spent 5 nights in this hotel with my friends. The accomodation has a good atmosphere, rooms and corridors are colorful and full of decorations, figures, paintings - every day you could discover something new. Paula was very helpful, she has given good tips what to see, where to go for a dinner. She also helped a lot to rent a car, which was the best way to discover the surroundings. The breakfast was delicious: different types of cheese, ham, toast, coffe, and so many cakes. Rooms and bathrooms are cleaned every day.
Best choice for couples and friends who want to spend some days in a familiar environment.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ortomi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Got back just two days ago, and I already miss open-hearted Paula, her famous breakfast and her happy and colourful pensao. Everything you've read here is true: the nice atmosphere, Paula's devotion, Paula's tips, great location of the pensao, etc. But I guess you've already got lots of info on the above matters.
So, what I would definately like to stress, is the spotlessly clean rooms, which is not always usual in that type of accomodation. Paula used to clean my room everyday, and I still remember that fresh smell each time I got back after these long days (and nights sometimes).
I would definately get back there, actually I'm looking forward to it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank NataliaEfebrua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

I and my boy friend stayed at this cozy bed and breakfast for 3 nights. The breakfast was amazing as I read, and on sunday morning before going to Belem to taste the famous egg tart, Paula baked her own and it tasted so good as the Belem's. She constantly gave us good advice for good local places, such as fado restaurant. On the checkout day we left for Porto, she packed us some bread for us to eat in the long bus trip. For the rest of our journey we missed her and kept talking about her true kindness. If you feel real local Portugese kindness, I'll recommend this place!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Ishlife
Edina, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Like everyone else, we love Pensao Royal. And the reason is Paula! She is very kind and helpful and you will not experience better food in Portugal. We've stayed at Pensao Royal twice and we loved it both times.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Pensao Royal is such a great place to stay because of the owner, named Paula. She's absolutely a wonderfull person. She bakes the most delicious cakes for breakfast and she's always willing to help you to visit the best places in Lisbon! Me and my friend had an amazing time in Lisbon, thank you so much Paula!

Frederique&Marit (from the Netherlands)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

My friend and I had the great pleasure of staying at this wonderful place for 3 nights. The owner Paula goes out of her way to help you. The place is immaculate, very well presented and the themed dining room changes daily. The breakfast is the most appetising I have ever experienced. Her wealth of local knowledge is outstanding. I can't recommend this place enough.
Prior to arriving we booked an online cookery course with a company with a hefty price tag and sadly it wasn't what we expected it to be. So the next evening Paula invited us to watch her make a traditional Portuguese family meal which was amazing! It tasted sensational. At the end of the evening we went to help clear up and she would not accept our offer of help. She really is just a tremendous lady. I'm sure you won't find another place quite like it :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed for 4 days with my girlfriend in early December, and Paula couldn't have been more helpful!
From the very beginning to the end she always wanted to help in any way, and it was amazing to think that it is just her who runs the whole show.
And those breakfasts! I can't remember a better breakfast, and the cakes are the best in the whole of Lisbon.
Really great stay, many many thanks, for all the help and kindness.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple