We spent 4 nights at this pleasant bed and breakfast with outstanding staff. They could not do enough to make your stay special and memorable. Special thanks to Rafael for his wonderful suggestions, Magda for her 'check in 101' with maps, overview of B&B, particulars of the city and 'must sees', and Andreas for his logistical help with our Fado dinner reservation. Staff was wonderful! My only suggestion would be, I wish they were on site more consistently after 4 pm. During our stay staff was not always present in the late afternoon/early evening. They were extremely apologetic and mentioned it was not the norm. There is a button on the outside door that will connect you to staff member's cell phone if you need assistance at anytime and they can be there very quickly. Normally they have coverage until 9 pm.
Casa do Bairro is an incredible value. Room was clean and comfortable, with a standard double bed. Ample space and bathroom a good size as well. Extremely quiet! We were not quite sure because we were the first room off of the breakfast area and hallway to all other rooms. Thought we would hear foot traffic but it was very quiet. Room faced alley with apartments directly across so we needed to close shutters at times for privacy. Some grout and caulking in our shower area looked tired- should consider re-caulking. Breakfast was a lovely spread, something for everyone and food all home made.
Area is transitional. All of Lisbon trying to update and modernize. We were told
that the city was vacant up until the mid 80's; people moved to the suburbs. Over the last 25 years Lisbon has since seen a tremendous resurgence with restoration projects everywhere. It is booming with people, restaurants, bars, museums, and culture. With that said, there are still many vacant buildings, one right next door to the B&B. Many buildings are still covered in graffiti, waiting to be rescued. It is only a matter of time! With that said, Casa do Bairro is 2 turns off the main street, that half block is poorly lit at night time. It is perfectly safe but should have better lighting. Casa do Bairro is in the lower Bairro Alto section closer to the river. A 10 minute walk to the heart of Bairro Alto, 15 to the upscale Chiado neighborhood, and 20 to Rossio square, the heart of Lisbon. Walk is uphill so wear comfortable shoes. We enjoyed the exercise and love to walk, but you can take tram 28 which is right around the corner. You must take the tram at least once- it is fun! If you buy the 24 metro pass you can have unlimited access to the metro and trams for the day. Very helpful to get to many tourist attractions.
Finally, bring the directions in Portuguese to the B&B from their website with you for the taxi driver. After reading the many reviews we were prepared to get lost from the airport. We felt the directions in Portuguese were immensely helpful and we really did not have trouble finding the location. We also had the street address and telephone number with us just in case. Recommend pre- arranging taxi to the airport with the staff when you are ready to leave- very smooth logistically.
All and all a great value, unique B&B, quiet location, wonderful staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shiadu Boutique Guesthouses started in 2007 and is a trademark for "refined" guesthouses, combining the provision of comfort and elegance with a customer service completely dedicated to each of its customers. The Casa do Bairro by Shaidu, only a 5-minute walk away from Chiado, Bairro Alto and the No. 28 Cable Car to Alfama, opened in the spring of 2009. It was in that major apartment complex, with its 11 double, triple and family-sized suites, that our first guests got a taste of our very characteristic Lisboan hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and Agoda so you can book your Casa do Bairro by Shiadu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Do Bairro Bed And Breakfast And Apartments
- Casa Do Bairro b&b And Apartments Hotel Lisbon