“Probably a lot better places to go”
Review of Taverna del Rey

Taverna del Rey
Ranked #3,785 of 4,455 Restaurants in Lisbon
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Castelo, Alfama & Mouraria
Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

I agree with other statements that it is a tourist trap. Quite literally you get stuck behind tables and downstairs away from the door. Was my first night in Lisbon and I realise now compared to everywhere else it was over priced and the food very average. They do not tell you about the extra charge for seeing the fado. Not sure if you could tell what is or isn't real fado though. It was fine for a one off but probably a lot better places to go if you research it.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

A very very very very very friendly taxi driver took us here, (we realised after what the Irish barman had meant when he said he'd take us..) we entered, starving after a day of walking about ten miles, to all grace and smiles, a middle aged lady waited at the door for us, ushered to a seat in the middle of the thoroughfare tween the restaurant and the kitchen dispatch hole, we were treated to about 6 dishes we never asked for, sausages, cheeses, olives, breads, water even before we'd ordered the main. My friend had an omelette and I had lamb chops (13.50 & 20€ respectively on the menu) We were told there was no extra charge for the music. We ate and drank hearty not realising what was to come. After 3 singers (only one, in my view as a professional singer, was passable, none remarkable. And the beautiful mid twenties woman who sang. I don't think would normally be a Fado singer, but was maybe standing in) we decided to leave as some French tourists were being hauled in and there wasn't enough seats. We added our bill up together to just under 60€.. my friend handed me 30 and we went to the hatch to pay.. WE WERE THEN PRESENTED WITH A BILL FOR 178€!!!! YES 178€! One Hundred and Seventy Eight Euro! Needless to say we questioned it, but as is usual in such places they were well versed in the ways of slivery. They charged us 20€ for sausages we didn't order, 10€ each to cover the music, 30€ on a bottle of the 'house wine', there was a cover charge on every morsel they brought to our table in the beginning when we had sat down and on and on and on.. We were disgusted. We'd been on tour in Portugal singing in Bars and as you can imagine didn't make much and this ate in to a large part of the profit. The portuguese are such lovely people. Generous in nature and spirit and friendly to a fault.. And then this? It doesn't make sense? We left and went up the hill to the left exiting this mugging pit. I heard the sounds of a real singer from a basement restaurant on the left about 50 yards up. We went in ordered wine and nuts and sat and listened. Stunning. At the end I sang them an old Irish folk song and the guitar player took us to an all nite fado club where our musical minds were blown and we glowed from our TRUE FADO EXPERIENCE. As this music is alive and vibrant in the Alfama, I am witness. I would put the name here of the place but I am not being paid to advertise it, (plus it's up the hill and a bit off the beaten track, in a crowd of 70 or so people we were the only non Portuguese...there is a big green door on the front. Honestly). But I just want to warn other gullible travelers who also might be low on funds. DO NOT GO TO TAVERNA D'EL RAY

6  Thank DarrenByrne
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I ordered a omelette, the cat would make a better one. My friend had lamp chops, also terrible.

Charged us for everything..and I mean everything.

Cost about 74 euro each. In other fado restaurants it is half the price.

Avoid like the plague.

Only rip off we encountered in Lisbon for 4 nights.

2  Thank mattmanireland
Reviewed November 16, 2012

SO BAD. THEY STEAL YOUR MONEY AND THE WAITERS ALWAYS COUGH ON YOUR FOOD. SINGERS ARE BAD.
Even there are different menus for different people (eg old women have to pay more because they dont understand whats going on). Dont never enter this criminal restaurant!
They Steal your Money and charge you things you did not order and if you say something they do very aggressive.
Its a very dirty and criminal place ! Kriminell ! Roban tu dinero !

4  Thank roxrami
Reviewed October 9, 2012

It's 10 Euros just to walk in the door! They don't tell you about the entrance fee. They only hand you a bill at the end with an extra 10Euros for your entrance fee. The singing was marginal, food was ehhhhh- ok I suppose, but nothing amazing. It was definitely overpriced for what we ordered (A fado cod dish which was actually deep fried hash browns with small bite size pieces of cod with a lot of bone in it.)

Walk up the street and get AMAZING food and AMAZING Fado for 1/2 the price. I don't recommend this place at all! Never going back and I LIVE in Alfama!

2  Thank Fairygirl333