“A TOTAL RIP OFF!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Taverna del Rey

Taverna del Rey
Ranked #3,478 of 4,053 Restaurants in Lisbon
Cuisines: European, Portuguese
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Castelo, Alfama & Mouraria
“A TOTAL RIP OFF!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

A total rip off! Please do not eat there. They even charged us for food we didn't order! Very expensive and low quality food. I even suspect they have a different menu for tourists. A disgrace!

2 Thank Foodnamma

• Czech first
  • Polish first
“Caveat Emptor”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

No we didn't check on TA before this meal- wish we had.
As a few of the previous reviewers mentioned this place is a tourist rip off. The meal acceptable though it was did not equal value for money. Our particular gripe was the wine. We asked for a carafe as the table adjacent to us was enjoying, a bottle arrived which we tasted & assumed would be of a similar value. On our bill the wine alone was €40. I had expected a mark up, after all the musicians have to be paid, but a grand total of €128.50 was a bit more than we had bargained for.
Please avoid this place it does not deserve your custom

Columbus, Ohio
“Horrible Tourist Rip-Off Scam”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Why O why did we listen to the taxi driver and not check TripAdvisor first? We took a taxi to Alfama and asked the driver for a suggestion where to eat...we grew suspicious right from the beginning when the taxi driver followed us into the restaurant to get his commission!! We were just so hungry that we went along with it. When we told the server that we didn't want any wine, just food, she said, "Really, why not? Are you sure?" Can you believe that.
The food was AWFUL. The prices were double. The service was terrible. This restaurant should be reported as a complete SCAM

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Animesh B
usa
“I wish I would have read trip advisor rather than listening to a local”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

I had planned on going to fado every night that I am in Lisbon (4) but Taverna del Rey has RUINED the experience for me. The food is expensive and awful. In retrospect I understand why the waitress didn't ask me how I wanted my steak cooked. She didn't even care when I told her. Then she refused to serve a glass of water, but later relented. The music was played in short three song sets with long breaks in between. My dinner was served when the musicians were playing and the lights shut off. Finally after charging 22.5 euro for the absolute worst food I have ever picked at, they charged an extra 10 Euro for a cover charge. I will just wait for touring fado performers to give concerts where I live. The music is better, the seating more comfortable, it costs less and I don't feel cheated.

• Visited May 2012
Rio de Janeiro
“Great food, great singers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

We loved this restaurant, went there for a Fado night and had so much fun. The singers were awesome, beautiful voices! It was so nice to hear Portuguese original songs... and the food, simply delicious!

• Visited April 2012
Review collected in partnership with Despegar

2 Thank Anie-RJ