“A good Fado experience”

Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Castelo, Alfama & Mouraria
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We had an enjoyable evning at this Fado resturant. The service was very efficient and the format well practised and smooth. The music was great. The food was good without reaching a very high standard. We thought the price reasonable for this type of establishment. It was as expected quite touristy but at least on the night the audience seemed to be a mix of locals as well as foreigners.

1  Thank Mcb42
There are newer reviews for Clube de Fado

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Very nice Fado music performed in several tranches of four songs throughout the evening (with about three different vocalists). However, the food has an average taste and doesn't have any sense of decoration/presentation. The wine being served is satisfactory taking in consideration its price. The service is punctual but without any special hospitality since everybody has to be served in between the music tranches to make the revenue is there at the end of the night.

The menu card displayed outside the restaurant shows high prices which might suggest that the Fado performance is included. However after seeing the bill this was only wishful thinking. In addition to paying 15 euros extra for the Fado performance, a service fee of 5 euros had to be paid as well. First time I saw that outside of Italy. Final bill for two persons came to 150 euros.

I chose this restaurant based on the comments in a travel guide, but next time I would definitely try another formula to hear Fado music.

1  Thank A H
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Given it was my first experience with fado, I enjoyed the music and the emotional singing of the performers. I tried a traditional Portuguese dish that was boiled bread with seafood, and it wasn't bad, first time I tried a dish like that so I don't know how it's supposed to taste. The service was excellent, the waiter was very good at explaining and recommending items. There are 4 rotating singers per night, we had 2 men and 2 women, each sings for around 15 min and an hour later another singer comes on.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

For fado songs a very good place. Unfortunately the food has to be improved. The people who serve are very friendly and punctual.
We did not have a resevation but they did their best to give us a very good place! This was very nice.

Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

I've visited clube de fado about 5 years ago, my hope for this place was high since I've had a great experience 5 years ago. But what a terrible mistake I made to hope the place would still be the same. This is what I experienced yesterday about this so called restaurant.

I'm visiting Lissabon for a second time, now with my future wife. We entered the restaurant at 9pm and the service was superb like I experienced in the past. But our first dish, soup of asperges was not fresh, the asperges were out of a can with small pieces of real asperges. No taste at all.

I ordered the monk fish and my wife a salad. The salad was ok. Some salad with bad tomatoes, and no dressing, we received some cocktail dressing after asking for this. My plate from monk fish was the worst I ever tasted in a restaurant, if you can call it a taste. It tasted as nothing, nothing at all. Rice was overcooked, the tomato sauce was just water, the taste of the monkfish was gone. I had to send it back to the kitchen since it was horrible. Glad I ordered a salad as side dish or I would have left with hunger. I told the waiter that I would not be paying for the monkfish and he apologised. I feel sorry for these people (the waiters) because they doing, honestly, an excellent job! But the kitchen is worse than a kid from 3 trying to cook. With all respect for children from the age of 3 trying to cook.

In general : great service, great music, horrible food. Do NOT! visit this place for it's food!

2  Thank Bastiaandb