“Believe the reviews, this place is a GEM!”
Review of Home Lisbon Hostel

Home Lisbon Hostel
Ranked #2 of 468 Specialty Lodging in Lisbon
Lusaka, Zambia
“Believe the reviews, this place is a GEM!”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Traveled as a group of four friends and spent approximately 4 nights in Home Lisbon hostel in June 2012. It's a great concept, we talked to Andre who told us that when you're "home" mama cooks and you get your laundry done - for free! Yes. The beds, bathrooms and all common areas were incredibly clean and the showers always hot with good water pressure. I guess if you're not used to sharing bathrooms with your brothers, the idea of unisex bathrooms might be a little off-putting but it was never a problem, and none of us have had to wait for a toilet/shower during our stay.

Other mentionables: the free wifi, a communal computer, free DVD rentals, and we highly recommend doing mama's dinner at least once (10 Euros)! We sat down with other people at the hostel, got served Portuguese food and drinks, and it was a great way to kinda sliiiiide into the pub crawl (15 Euros?). Between the four of us, we have cumulatively stayed at many hostels and this - by far - has wonderful people, great location close to the water and a 5 minute walk to Alto, is very safe (lockers included and 24 hour reception), amazingly soundproof (seriously), and clean, clean, clean. The decor in the hostel is like you're in someone's lovely little home: dark hardwood floors, high-ceilings, antique picture frames, comfy couches. We were IMPRESSED. When we were there, they were doing some renovations and apparently this place is supposed to expand for next year (double bedrooms, ensuites, separated bathrooms, a whole new floor maybe, Andre?). We will definitely be back! It's a place that I would stay at again with my boyfriend or even my budget-minded family. Great concept, great value, wonderful people.

Can't sing its praises enough. Deserving of 5 stars!

Much love,

Rowena (Canada), Leah (Canada), Gina (Holland), Karin (Sweden).

Room Tip: Stayed on the 4th floor and splurged for a deluxe room: great view. First floor rooms could be quite...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bondi, Australia
Reviewed June 17, 2012

The hostel was very close to everithing that matters and the subway.
Excelent staff, bads, showers. The dinner option was amazing, becouse you could get to know the portuguese food and drink some sangria for only 10 euros.
I recomend it!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Cássia T
Sorrento, Campania, Italy
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I have stayed in many hostels around Europe and this hostel blew them all out of the water. I was mentally preparing myself for a normal hostel and then when I arrived I felt like I had won the lottery. Not was the place clean, safe and had wonderful beds, but the staff was above and beyond awesome and Mama's dinner was absolutely amazing. When I go back to Lisbon, there is absolutely no other place I am going to stay. Truly lives up to its name!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 3, 2012

This hostel was absolutely phenomenal. The rooms and bathrooms were impeccably clean. We had a room with a gorgeous view. Mama is delightful and tries to speak to every person staying there. The breakfast is comparable to a hotel spread is delicious and hot. you have to spring for it and try Mama's dinner which she serves every night. It's traditional Portuguese food that is to die for, absolutely delicious. It's served with sangria and a dessert. The people I met there were amazing too, making the stay all the better. Plus, it was only 13 euros a night, an unbelievable deal. Couldn't recommend it more.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Porto Alegre, Brazil
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Clean, excellent location, great common area, big bathrooms. Don't miss the Mama's Dinner, a traditional portuguese meal, made by the owner's mom. You'll really feel like home :)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I can´t even put into words how amazing this place is. I was only there 2 days and felt like I had known the staff forever. They were absolutely lovely and super helpful and fun. I was vey nervous about travelling alone but they made me feel at ease. Really funky place, very cosy and met lots of cool people. I had one of the best meals I have ever had in my life MAMMA´s DINNER IS A MUST!!!! You must also go on the pub crawl with Ricardo (aka Leonardo Davinci) and Gabriel they are loads of fun and will have you laughing. Was and still am very sad to have left, wanted to live there. Thanks guys for an amazing stay love you all :) x

Rach R (Aussie) x

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed April 4, 2012

This was without doubt the coziest and nicest hostel I've visited so far. I also made a lot of friends.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends