“Lovely meal and lovely host”

Malmequer Bemmequer
Ranked #745 of 4,053 Restaurants in Lisbon
Cuisines: European, Portuguese
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Castelo, Alfama & Mouraria
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal and lovely host”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Crossed town to search this place out as reviews were good and the price seemed right. If you're not familiar with the neighbourhood, a good street map would be beneficial as we went a little out of our way and had to ask at another bar for directions. We were the only diners that evening, although lunchtime had been busy. The owner was friendly without being obtrusive and made helpful suggestions for wine, starters and mains. I have to say that having seen what was brought to the table as pre-starters I sort of wished I had not ordered a starter - a selection of bread, cheese, ham, and olives which looked delicious but unfortunately had to be turned away uneaten as we would not have had room for anything else. I had the fish soup which was lovely, my friend the mushrooms in cream and garlic. Mains were home made chicken cordon bleu and sea bass, all prepared beatifuuly and served with fresh vegetables. No room for sweet but with a nice bottle of portugues white and water the bill came to around 40 euros. Didn't feel at all 'odd' that we were on our own - the owner chatted but didn't overdo it - all in all a lovely experience and worth seeking out. Will return next time.

Silkeborg, Denmark
“Bad service, poor food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

We had difficulties to get the owner?? to understand our order. He might have be stressed, drunk or even sick, as we ended up being served just one main course to share. The wine we chose was out of stock and we had anotherone, which was OK. To get some sparkling water was the next problem and I ended up going til the bar to get it in my hand.
The food was not very tasty - I would say average school-cantine-standard. Service from the owner was all in all non-existing, plates etc merely been slammed on the table inpolitely without a smile or a word.
The best you could say about the restaurant is problably the location in front of a small famous fado restaurant!

Luckily this was the only bad experience we had in a after all lovely week in Portugal, and we had the luck to visit a great small bar with fado song on our way back, so that this experience was washed away.

Chester, England
“The best meal and wine in Lisbon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

I had a fantastic meal in this restaurant. As a solo traveller, I always look for somewhere friendly. The owner was a lovely man, who spoke good English and served great wine! It is a very authentic, cosy feel and was extremely popular! I was very surprised when the bill came.. it was the tastiest and the most reasonably priced meal I had in Portugal. To find it, just wonder down the beautiful street of Rua De Sao Miguel and you'll see a Blue sign with two sunflowers on your right. Don't miss this little restaurant!!

Sydney, Australia
“Slow service- terrible salmon!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

The restaurant was not easy to find and is it tucked away on a very small street. The ambience is great with lowlit lighting and candles. There were only 3 couples when we got there and were all tourists. It took the owner awhile to take our order as he was too busy running around serving other people. The food took awhile to come out even though there were only 3 other tables?? The entree of melon and salted ham was so so. I ordered the grilled salmon and it was so salty it was in edible! It looked like it was covered in salt. The steak was okay but a bit on the dry side. The owner was nice but he seemed to be over focused on the table beside us. Extremely disappointed with the food because I read all the good reviews on here and was expecting so much better. I don't know if I just ordered the wrong things or came at the same time but it was an extreme disappointment!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely place for great dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

This little restaurant (8 tables only) has a great charme : you just feel home in it, and the cuisine is really delicious. I had there my first grilled sardines. Not only it was very good, but you also have more than enough. The owner is very friendly, speaks several languages (at least french, english and spanish). You have to be very careful in the street if you want to find the restaurant, because it's very discrete. And you don't have loud music all the time (which I find very good because I like to eat in quiet places). Nobody can regret to come there. I highly recommand it !

• Visited August 2012