“a unique place to stay”
Review of micasaenlisboa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lisbon
micasaenlisboa
Ranked #90 of 238 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Malaga (Spain)
“a unique place to stay”
Reviewed January 17, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Micasaenlisboa in Christmas '10, and we had a wonderful time. Actually, a UNIQUE time, because the place is unique. We have traveled quite a lot through Europe, and we have found nothing similar to Micasaenlisboa. It is certainly not a hotel, and it is not a normal b&b either. It is a small house in which you live with Maria and her dog. Be aware that tou will find no luxuries, no tv (in the rooms nor in the living), no fancy bathroom kit. Instead, you will find lots of books, a gorgeous terrace and garden, and incredible ecological home-made breakfast, and Maria's help and tips for eveything you can possibly do in Lisbon - particularly museums, exhibitions, or eating. The zone is full of popular restaurants and cafés, and you walk down the hill and you get downtown in 5 min. (you can also take the tram.... when it crosses Alfama you can touch the houses from the window , it is amazing how they managed to make the tram get through these small streets).
At breakfast time the place is sometimes a little too noisy, when guests gather around the table - the only table - to sip coffee and eat delicious cheese, cake, or fruits, but one does not go to Lisbon to sleep until 11 AM, right? Well, I guess in spring or summer breakfast is served outdoors, so no problem.
If you like feeling like at home, if you like trying a totally different kind of accomodation, or you like mixing with locals, then this is your place. If you prefer ordinary, impersonal hotels, you have plenty of them.... and perhaps you will not fit in this place. And it is not for people alergic to dogs. Despite being small and unpretentious, Micasaenlisboa is unique, personal, convivial, extraordinary, cozy. By unique I mean literally unique: I don't think you can find something similar in downtown European cities. It is worth the trip.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Victoriamalaga10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 8, 2011

The first impression is somewhat weird... the taxi driver drops you in front of a town house, with absolutely no exterior signs of a hotel or a b&b. "Are you sure this is the place, 50 Calçada do Monte?" - "Sí, acá es" ["Yes, this is the place"]. Then you ring the bell, and a blue-eyed, nice forty-something woman opens and welcomes you, and you enter to a cozy living room, perhaps with people sitting chatting: no reception, no carpet, no wall-tv screens, no valet, etc. "Oh Geez, this stupid taxi driver! I am not in my hotel, I am in someone's house!".
You've just got it right. This is Maria's house, and you are going to stay at hers. You have practically the same privacy, comfort, cleanliness, etc. as you woud get in a **** hotel, plus gorgeous, home made, just-prepared breakfast, incredible views of the city, and above all, friendliness of Maria. Do not expect a jacuzzy, flat TV, mini bar (but yes, you have wi-fi access). Expect sleeping in rooms decorated with extremely good taste, waking up hearing seagulls and the bells from the Convento da Graça, and of course meeting Maria (and Lola). Maria is simply wonderful, she knows everybody in Lisbon and gives you the best tips (transport, eating, wine, fun, museums, river tours, shopping), and above all, the warmest welcome and conversation. Needless to say, she speaks english... and french. Lola is a 10-year old Schnauzer, friendly with everybody (particularly kids), if you pet her when you cross the door and when you get down to have breakfast.
After staying at Micasaenlisboa you could say you hace actually LIVED (and probably loved) in Lisbon. By the way, Lisbon is lovely, cheap, full of things to do. Bring comfortable shoes. And in summer, sunscreen (you can lay outdoors in the terrace overlooking the city).
Do not miss it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank MBDefelipe
Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2010

We came to Lisbon for a long weekend for my birthday in September. We like staying in more personal small places and this lovely B&B certainly fit the bill perfectly. It is well located for both the Tram 28 and the Underground station, both of which you will want to use unless you are a marathon hill walker as Lisbon is very hilly!! The hosts are extremely welcoming and friendly and will help with any questions. The breakfasts are a perfect mix of healthy start while filling you up well and truly till lunchtime! You feel like you a local who lives there rather than a visitor and that gives a lovely experience in this very interesting city.

3 Thank annieoakley19
Muscat
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Very warm and helpful hosts. We love experiencing culture through food - especially seafood! Maria and Hugo recommeded many fabulous seafood restaurants to us all over Portugal. We tried each of the restaurants and all of them were tasty, cheap and full of character. A particular highlight was the oyster bar in the Algarve! Maria and Hugo's recommendations were an essential ingredient in our lovely holiday in Portugal.

2 Thank Kazzbarr
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed October 5, 2010

A friend reciently recomended me this place. I though I would take 4 days off in Lisbon in the middle of a business trip in Europe, where I had to spend the the nights in well managed hotels but without personality. Clean rooms, perfect service, perfect bathrooms... but all in a cold standard business smell. I have really enjoyed these days in Micasaenlisboa. Delicious local breakfast carefully and homely prepared in a peaceful garden with incredible horizon views... Nothing compared to buffet breakfasts around hurried people. On my first day I almost did not walk around but from the second, María gave me some tips to organize my days. She also told me of interesting exhibitions going on and a concert I finally was not able to attend because I was "busy" relaxing near the river...
Try this if you want to have a different experience of a trip, a different trip to Lisbon.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank carlosalonso100
sheffield
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Stayed here with my wife in September. Our stay at Maria's home was fab. It feels different from a B & B as it feels that you are really staying in someones house not just renting a room. Maria makes you feel very welcome and her dog Lola made me miss my own dog back home just a little less. The room felt lived in and very individual not like a stale modern hotel room, the breakfasts are wonderful with fresh home made bread and cakes, freshly ground coffee, juice and fruits. I could go on but just to say we didn't need much to eat till the evening. If you want to go to Lisbon and feel that you have really stayed in LIsbon go here.

Madrid
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Let me explain with facts our experience in My House In Lisbon (MHIL henceforth): I made the reservation online quite in advance (the place is quite popular) and had almost an immediate and very friendly answer. Before the trip I requested for advice as I was planning a romantic getaway with my wife in a very special anniversary: Maria gave me very good tips to plan my trip in advance (non an intrusive manner). We were helped by friendly management of MHIL when unloading our baggage from the taxi (we arrived quite late at night) into MHIL (façade is misleading: interior is excellent). Then, we dashed to a local seafood restaurant recommended by Maria: first “homerun”! (excellent food and price). Back to MHIL Room was clean and spacious with a great view to the peaceful garden, with beautiful views to the Castle of St. George and the “Graça” cathedral on the top of the hill . Each room is decorated in a different manner and is amazingly Zen-decorated. The books and magazines are around the house in shelves or tables (interesting art and architectural magazines, city guides, photography books, local culture shows magazines, etc. The bathroom has a very special touch for people from Spain: it has soap and eau de cologne from the very traditional perfumery "Alvarez Gomez" (amazing memories from my childhood) .We slept loooong and peacefully…and only woke to have an amazing breakfast chatting with Maria …for 90 minutes! She is sooo charming and had great conversation on any topic you mention…in at least 4 languages…She gave us some tips on what to do and walked us to the “Marché de Puces / Rastro / Flea Market” where we enjoyed a long walk before having beautiful lunch in “Alfama” neighborhood…and siesta! To make it short, we did a great short boat trip in the Tagus River, dinner in “Belem” hood, some drinks next to the river and good night sleep and fantastic breakfast next day! . The only problem was that it was TOO SHORT (by the way, you can find references to MHIL in different designs/fashion magazines like the Spanish edition of Architectural Digest (AD), Vogue, The Guardian, El Pais (http://elviajero.elpais.com/recomendaciones/listado/portugal/ ) and picks in http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmccracken/4093725928/
I cannot stop writing on my feelings about the place but to say that I would call it truly MY house in Lisbon (along with Maria and Lola). Cheers

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple