“Mouldy place”
Review of Pensao Monumental

Pensao Monumental
Ranked #210 of 255 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Our room had a mouldy smell and walls had moulds. Damp was everywhere, after the night the newspaper which was left on the commode near the bed became damp! The wardrobe had a nasty smell, I did not risk to put my clothes in it. I am happy that I had to spend only one night in this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Neringa V
There are newer reviews for Pensao Monumental

Reviewed September 30, 2013

To say staying here is slumming it is an understatement. Never stayed anywhere as bad as this before. Will never trust a friend to book my accommodation again. Suspect wiring in the bathroom, Dodgy water taps and shower, not all the lights were working. The décor was totally substandard, and the bedding grubby. When we got home after 2 nights washed all clothing whether it had been used or not, and showered in an effort to wash away the whole grubby experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank peter j
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Small and very cheap typical pension.
Perfect position, just steps from shops, public transport, city center and the famous "Bairro Alto".
Clean rooms ( daily maid service ) and very helpful staff.
Absolutely a gret choice if you're looking for a cheap andclean option, in the best position.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank ZAMY73
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Would advise all fellow travellers to stay well clear of this one. Not only was my i-phone charger stolen from my room but the reception staff offered no assistance whatsoever. The wouldn't phone the police, wouldn't question cleaning staff and generally took a very dismissive attitude to the whole thing. The best advice they could offer me was to "not" wear my watch out when going out for a stroll in the surrounding area......... Good night Vienna ??? Goodbye Lisbon....... I wont be back !!

Joe.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank joe m
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Have just returned from staying 4 nights at this budget hotel. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to other travellers on a limited budget who want somewhere in a great central location. Our room was at the back of the hotel and very quiet, it was cleaned every day, and the staff were really friendly, giving us maps and great advice about where we should visit in Lisbon.

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor at the back of the hotel which I would choose again. On the downsid...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Stayed here for a week in February, 2010. First we didn't find the hotel, because the sign was so unnoticeable. Me and my friend (both students) didn't expect much from the hotel, as you can imagine, we are super-low-budget-travelers and payed about 110e per person for five nights. Cheap huh?! The room itself was pretty good, I mean for the money that we ''spent'' this felt like pure luxury.. Even though it was quite chilly in that time of the year, there is some blankets to use, but I would recommend that guests take warm clothing with them. Our room was on the first floor, and our window was towards the inner-garden so we didn't hear any voices from the street either. The man on the reception made us feel very welcome, and helped us if we had any questions. The outer-door is locked, but there is a doorbell. We didn't use the hotel for anything else than sleeping and storing our belongings in a secure place, and this hotel certainly suited for that kind of use. I wouldn't recommend this as a family-friendly hotel, but if you're outgoing and looking for a good-value hotel, this is a good choice. As many of these earlier reviews have pointed out, the location is awesome! Ps. go down the hill to the bar called Young Liberty (on the right) and try a drink called Fluffy Duck!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank disa S
Reviewed December 15, 2009

Best price-value hotel. It has excellent location, just at one of the main squares in Lisbon - Praca dos Restauradores. It is 1 min walking distance from the bars quarter of Lisbon - Bairo Alto, and no more than 10 min walking to the Baixa and Chiado.

The staff in the hostel is friendly and you can be confident on asking for things to do and places to go. In our case they were very helpful in recommending us good, cheap local restaurants!

Rooms are cozy and clean.

But one minus is that we didn't have heating in our room and it was December when we visited this place. When we asked the reception for heater they suggested us an extra blanket instead. Another minus is no WiFi internet in here. These are two reason for me to rate this hotel with 4*.

I attach some photos from our room.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank feradz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lisbon
Hotel Dom Sancho I
Inn Fashion Residence
#125 of 255 in Lisbon
B Lisbon
#2 of 5 in Estremadura

Been to Pensao Monumental? Share your experiences!