“Very bad experience, normal food, very high bill and unfriendly staff”
Review of S. Miguel D'Alfama

S. Miguel D'Alfama
Ranked #3,765 of 4,514 Restaurants in Lisbon
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Castelo, Alfama & Mouraria
Reviewed August 21, 2010

I wouldn't recommend this restaurant. We had a very bad experience, we arrived quite late, at about 22, but they told us that it wasn't a problem. We waited about an hour to get our food, and sincerly I expected something more tasty. When the Fado group started to play we were not informed that we couldn't speak and, as a group of 6 people, it was quite annoying not to talk at all. When I blew my nose I was reproached and during the concert we were reproached about 3/4 times just for asking the salt or the oil. It was quite stressing.
At the end of the meal we got the bill, and we paid something like 7 euro for two coffees and 15 euro for a bottle of house wine. According to the Portuguese standards this is too much.
Don't go in that restaurant!

Reviewed May 31, 2010

We went there because the restaurant we were meant to eat at was closed. This place looked inviting and we said we'd try it. The atmosphere was very good and everything was going fine until the food came. A child could have done better, really it was cafeteria stuff. Watch the add-ons, €6 for bread and some dips, €5 for a bottle of water, €4 for mint tea, etc.

That wasn't the biggest problem. We went to get out of the place (quickly) but were informed they didn't take credit cards. The bill was €69.50. We were then told we would be escorted to the nearest ATM machine. We searched our pockets and wallets and scraped together €68.82, about 68 cents shy of the total. We gave them that thinking that would be the end of it. It wasn't.

The manageress/owner loudly and not very nicely announced to us and the entire restaurant that we were still shy of the total and that we would have to be escorted to the nearest ATM for the 68 cents. We tried to explain that there was no sign on the door informing people that credit cards weren't taken, but to no avail. She wanted her 68 cents and that was that.

A bit shocked, my husband found a US dollar bill in his wallet and gave it to them. It wasn't pleasant leaving that awful, twisted, greedy excuse for a cafe, never mind a restaurant.

This was my second time in Portugal and I think the people are wonderful, but I think these people running this place in the Alfama should be shut down for the sake of Lisbon and the neighbourhood it is located in.

3  Thank dorisdublin
Reviewed April 1, 2010

So we were wandering the Alfama in search of a particular restaurant known to be veg friendly, which we finally found, only to return here when it turned out to be closed. We came back to the Sao Miguel because the friendly man outside, the greeter who gathers customers, was so nice and friendly. This greeter turned out to be one of the Fado singers, and was really great. All the singers were awesome, and we even took home a cd. The singers take food orders when they're not performing, which was pretty cool. The atmosphere was cozy, with people literally from all over the world here to listen to some great music. If only I hadn't ordered the sardines, supposedly a Portuguese specialty, I would have much fonder memories of my whole trip to Portugal, as well as this restaurant. Next time I'll trust my instincts about what I'm eating and should have known better, since they did taste a little.. not quite right. A tough lesson learned, but the illness was so severe that when I got back to the US I was forced to visit the ER for some antibiotics and IV hydration, both of which felt like lifesavers. The thought of sardines is making me queasy even now.

1  Thank SteffieB
Reviewed July 20, 2009

Nice restaurant in a beautiful old part of Lissabon. The interior is very elegant, the food is good and not too expensive. I remember having eaten a carrot soup and a very nice "bacalhau" (typical Portuguese fish). Unfortunately there was no fado when we ate there.

Reviewed May 26, 2009

Sometimes a rainy night makes your day perfect :). We were looking for a place to stay away from heavy rain and to have drinks and entered this restaurant. The restaurant was full, but the friendly owner kindly offered us chairs and we listened to wonderful Fado singing of Yolanda and her colleques. Most friendly service, good atmosphere and local audience.

1  Thank travellingman52