“Homely Guest House”

Lisbon Story Guesthouse
Ranked #37 of 262 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 4, 2014

On behalf of my mother:

Cosy little old house in the old city, very centrally located with a nice vibe to the place. Close to the castle. Beautifully architecture and view. Good breakfast and welcoming hosts.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed July 1, 2014

A very good quality/price ratio.
clean and pretty house,
warm welcome
good advices to discover the city

We will address this to our friends who want to discover a beautiful place to rest and a beautiful city to explore

Room Tip: nice view from higher floors
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 21, 2014

A lovely place to stay in Lisbon, which was a bargain for the central location and interesting nature of the hotel.

The staff were super friendly, the rooms were clean and varied hugely, but that made it all the more better. I had a shared bathroom, but never saw anyone else around when I needed it. The breakfast buffet was super fresh in a room for of cushions. The staff let me check in really early and after check out have a shower before heading for my flight!

The only downside is that owing to its location, it can be very noisy outside at night and there was no air con, so you need to ask for a fan or have the windows open. I brought good ear plugs, so I slept perfectly with the windows open. Just be aware of this and you can't fail to love this place. It isn't a hotel you spend time in, so get out into Lisbon and enjoy it there.

I would recommend this to people who are exploring the city and need somewhere easy and hassle-free to stay with some novelty and uniqueness.

Room Tip: If possible, get a non-square facing room or bring ear plugs.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank brob11
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Just spent three nights of a long weekend at the Lisbon Story Guesthouse. Small and intimate B&B atmosphere. I was a bit worried about the shared bathrooms but no problems here ... they were clean and the other guests were considerate enough to keep them that way. The house was full when we were there but we never had a problem with bathrooms being occupied when we wanted to use them. The breakfasts are generous -- rolls, cereal, fresh fruit and fresh squeezed orange juice if you're willing to do it yourself (can also make yourself some eggs if you like). The lounge where breakfast is served is an odd space. Not really very practical or even that comfortable--it feels like someone though this would add a little charm to the place, and maybe it does. I'm speculating that it was designed with a young clientele in mind, but the actual customer base looked older (that includes me), in the 50+ range. You have to negotiate over soft cushions with your food and drinks and then plonk yourself down at a table where your food is basically at the level of your chin. But the staff are so helpful and nice and the place is so relaxed that it's kind of pleasant in the end. The location near Rossio Square is just fantastic. It is very easy to walk to almost everything in central Lisbon, and it's easy to get to from the airport. The downside is the noise, which is almost hilariously out of control at night ... when the garbage removal guys show up at 02:30 a.m., the racket, yelling and whistling is almost beyond belief (mind you, we sleep with the windows wide open). But even this is forgivable (and I usually hate loud nights at a hotel), given everything else positive about the place, not the least of which is the outstanding value for money. We also appreciated that the house works to support the homeless in Lisbon ... nice to see some social responsibility in the hospitality business. So I can easily recommend the Lisbon Story for a great stay in Lisbon.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We were assigned the Luz room, which overlooked the square - double glazing on the window didn't interfere with our sleep quality. No elevator in the building so you get to keep fit trundling up/down lots of stairs! The shared bathrooms were clean & well maintained. Generous breakfast + there is 24h access to the kitchen - guests are welcome to cook if they wish. Small kitchenette located on the top floor next to a tiny terrace. Staff were helpful with advice when asked. Close to Rossio metro, short walking distance to Praca Figuera for tram #15 to Belem, 5 minute walk to train station for Sintra. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Found this place on trip advisor and booked it.

We arrived on a Sunday afternoon and the square outside was just TEAMING with people...People selling stuff, playing music, hanging out, etc. I was a bit worried because I knew I would be on my own the next day. When I got up to my room, there was an explanation that the square is very important to people and there are a lot of ppl around, and it´s completely safe. I was thrown for a minute due the sheer #s and the smell of urine (sorry).

Once inside, the bldg and rooms are charming, quirky and soooo full of character. All the rooms have different themes and I saw a few when they were cleaning in the AM. It is very clean and the breakfast provided is super, way more than I expected from a "hostel" type place.

The beds are fab, but there are no tvs in the rooms. Never had any issue w getting an empty bathroom. Also read in the kitchen that Lisbon Story Guesthouse sponsors 90 meals/month for homeless people. What´s not to love there?

The location is great if you want to go shopping (right next to Chaido) and there are tons of restaurants around. However, if you are a light sleeper, I warn you there are lots of people and traffic way into the night. The windows have shutters that block out the light, so that's a big plus but you can still hear the street noise.

If you like a more cultural feel, I would suggest staying in the Alfama. I was in a bit of a hurry when I booked this lodging but it´s been wonderful.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the street if you want a quieter sleep.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We just came back from 3 nights here and can't say enough great things. Wonderful staff, clean rooms, clean bathrooms, fun quirky vibe, and AMAZING location. Can't be beat. Stayed in the room called "Fado." We only with there were more people around to get to know in the hostel but it had more to do with the time we were there than the hostel itself. Breakfast was also great - who can resist fresh oranges for fresh squeezed orange juice? (they have a juicer!). Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends