“Welcome refuge from a noisy food court.”
Review of O Madeirense

O Madeirense
Ranked #1,583 of 5,514 Restaurants in Lisbon
Cuisines: European, Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Mercês
Reviewed May 12, 2017

It was very pleasant to get away from the noisy crowded food court of this shopping centre into a proper restaurant. We haven't visited Madeira but this served what is considered typical food so it was interesting to start with. Full of local business people having serious conversations over their food! There are curious rods over the tables which I learned - when I ordered chicken on the spit - are to hang the skewer from. The meat keeps warm on the skewer and gradually drops down to a plate below. Cunning. I like a bit of theatre at the table. Complementary appetisers given - two had shellfish which we don't eat, the others were what I'd call 'bureki' flaky pastry with spicy cheese and herbs. Very good. Good chicken on the spit with pineapple, potatoes and veg, husband had the swordfish which he enjoyed. A couple of beers and coffees and that was all we wanted. Good service, not expensive, a real find.

Date of visit: May 2017

Reviewed April 6, 2017

Excellent food and service in this restaurant inside the most exclusive shoppings in Lisbo - Amoreiras Shopping Center. Nevertheless the restaurant is inside the shopping, it has a private space without the shopping movement and the food is simply great. Regional food from Madeira Island.

Date of visit: April 2017
1  Thank PauloSim
Reviewed March 11, 2017 via mobile

I have been to this restaurant a couple of times, some have been very good and with a excellent service but others have been terrible, always with my family including children, I had from under cooked chicken to what happen today where we requested a plate from the menu with rice and fries, without "grelos" cooked beans, and they bring me the plates with fries but no rice and the "grelos" and with that I requested they changed to the original request rice. The issue was not the exchange that they agreed it was their mistake. The issue is that with this the steaks got cold and the main thing they didn't changed the plates, I could see in the plates still some "grelos".
As a good restaurant the first thing when something is wrong is replacing the dishes. I am not saying cool the steaks again but the plates need to be changed.

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed February 3, 2017

At first sight it looks like a gourmet restaurant with its ambiance, its warm welcome and its expensive dishes.
Once at the table, we discover from one bad surprise to another: the amuse-bouche is charged, the waitress does not know how to serve the wine and has poured all over the table, but the worst thing happens when we found a PIECE OF SCOURING PAD IN THE DISH !!!
When we call the head waiter, he simply states that it often happens when you clean the pans. Unbelievable !!

Date of visit: January 2017
3  Thank MKK2020
Reviewed November 30, 2016

It was a brilliant meal - the "Espetada de vaca" is out of this world, not to mention the starters and desserts...it is a bit expensive and formal, but it is worth the trip.

Date of visit: November 2016