“Highly Recommended”

Louro & Sal
Cuisines: Portuguese, Fusion
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Bairro Alto, Bica & Cais do Sodre
Description: Romantic, special prices for groups, music and ambient light.
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Found this place on our first night in Lisbon, and we were so impressed we went back again. The venue itself is right in heart of Biarro Alto, and the exposed stone walls within give it a unique and intimate character. The staff are all very friendly and professional. (On our return trip two other couples came in right after us, and the waitress, even though one couple were requesting to order first, made sure to see to us first, which was very professional.) The menu is small and the food portions border on the minimalist, but it was all very tasty - can recommend the veg soup and the chicken, salmon and cod mains (though cod is not deboned!). Yes, as others have mentioned, the bread and dips placed on table are not free but this practice is widespread in the city, and we enjoyed them. We drank a bottle of douro from the wine list each night and it came perfectly chilled with a cooler - and only cost €12! The food is good value too - would definitely revisit on a return to Lisbon.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I am lucky to work for a company that allows me to eat in some of the worlds best restaurants.
I had previously eaten in a very good and highly praised restaurant very close to Louro & Sal.
However, Whilst the food and service was excellent you can have too much formal dining.
Louro & Sal was the perfect antidote. The menu is simple, but tasty the food has been put together with care and attention and the staff take great pride in their restaurant. It is the owner and staff that make a good honest restaurant into a place that you feel you want to return too.
Whilst I did visit several other much more expensive restaurants in Lisbon, I kept on returning to Louro & Sal because, it is a nice, relaxed and friendly place with a good mix of customers, friendly staff and good simple well put together food, and the prices are ok as well

Reviewed September 2, 2013

It looks like it would be a good restaurant as you walk by (and there's no doubt, it's a nice atmosphere once you're inside). But I don't feel like I'm an overly picky restaurant visitor, and I have several complaints about this place.

First off, they bring you bread and butter and olive oil and some crab based spread when you sit down, and you'd think, "wow, that's a nice touch!" Except that when you look at the menu, you realize that the bread and other accoutrements are under a section in the English part of the menu called "cover charge," meaning you pay €3.50 ($5 bucks) for something you didn't ask for. Complete [--] in my opinion, and something I have never come across anywhere in the world.

Secondly, the front of the restaurant was super warm. My girlfriend and I walked in to this place after walking around the hot city all day (it has been 90+ degrees every day since we've been here), and wanted to cool off a bit. When we sat down, I instantly realized it was too warm for my comfort, but I know it's not a restaurant's fault for having a hot space, so I just accepted it. But then I went to wash my hands before dinner and realized that the other area of the restaurant was much cooler. So I kindly skied the waiter if we could move back to the other space, but he replied that they had reservations for those tables and so we couldn't move. I must say, I did not see anyone go into that back room as long as we were there, and I believe that they seat as few people back there as possible to make it seem like the restaurant is full because passers by can see how full the front (hot) room is but can't as easily see if anyone is sitting in the back. So they just try to fill up their front room to make it look popular to attract more people. Boo!

And now the food... The bread that they bring at the beginning that they make seem complimentary but that actually costs money (see second paragraph) is the worst I've had in portugal. It tastes like they bought standard white bread, toasted it slightly, and then left it out on the counter all day. It seemed stale is what I'm saying. My girlfriend ordered a gazpacho and a fish dish which were both actually ok (but by no means great), although her main dish came with beats that were clearly out of a can (sorry, but that's not even semi-fine dining). I ordered the "game sausage" dish. Boy oh boy was it awful. First of all, it tasted like unknown street meat that I've had and spit out in Bangkok. So right away I was thinking that the "game" that I was served was like a dog or something. But on top of the gross and unknown origins of the meat, the presentation was a disaster. It was like a mush of shredded bits of this unknown meat under a strange skin-like cover that was neither crispy nor soft. Horrible.

Anyway, they did very kindly give us two shots of ginjinha before we left, so that was nice. But overall, I would say this: this place should not exist. It is not good. It is in a tourist area and knows how to attract non-locals in by the look of the place. Don't go here.

1  Thank Trav1326
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Kitchen stays open till 1 AM, so great for a late-night bite. Classy yet cozy interior, with great view of the bustling street. Fast, attentive service, delicious food, great value for money.

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

It is a small restaurant with the cause atmosphere. We were 6 and we took different dishes all of was greatly satisfied.Many thank to cook Dima,who make for us good recommendation what to order!he is doing his job excellent!

1  Thank Zybalova