“The best gluten free bakery!!”
Review of Zarzuela

Zarzuela
Ranked #9 of 60 Bakeries in Lisbon
Neighborhood: Bairro Alto, Bica & Cais do Sodre
Description: Traditional pastry since 1968 wiht own manufacturing, restuarant and hamburgeria. Handmade ICECREAM Highlight: all our products in "LIGHT" version and dietry, glúten free, lactose free and for diabetics.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Stumbled across this bakery by accident when getting out of a taxi. I have been GF for over ten years and this was the best donut and custard tart I have ever eaten. There was a really big range of items to choose from and I paid €4.60 for both. Well worth it and a great find!

Must visit if Coeliac in Lisbon!

udo b, Proprietário at Zarzuela, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

We are spezializied in gluten and lactose free backery/pastries and al a carte like pizza or hamburgers. A place for all.

Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

This was the only breakfast my wife enjoyed on our visit! Their GF pastries were wonderful and they have fully loaded options available for those craving gluten. I had a croissant with ham and cheese and a glass of fresh squeezed OJ.

udo b, Gerente at Zarzuela, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2018

We are spezializied in gluten and lactose free pastries and backery, all home made as well pizzas an other dishes at ou a la carte

Reviewed August 29, 2018 via mobile

yummy!
the vanilla cake is amazing!!!
gluten free and lactose free.
u have to go.
they have the biggest opposition that i saw for gluten and lactose free.

udo b, Proprietário at Zarzuela, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2018

We are spezialicied in gluten and lactose free produchts all from our one backert/pastry. A place for all the family

Reviewed August 24, 2018 via mobile

Read the reviews and stopped in on the way back from Belem. The restaurant is busy, but the staff is welcoming. I had g-free pizza zarzuela and a pastel da nata. Very tasty!!

udo b, Proprietário at Zarzuela, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2018

We are spezializied in gluten and Lactose Pastry, Backery and a la carte from our Kitchen, Pizzas and ice cream. A place for all the family.
We have the tradicional pastry but gluten free

Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

Beware! This place clearly specialises in gluten-free sandwiches and cakes but they also sell a glutenous version of the sandwiches and natas. I went to the counter and ordered a gluten-free ham&cheese sandwich with coffee, and a gluten-free nata. The guy replied 'gluten-free' and pointed to the sem-gluten natas. I said, yes, gluten-free, everything gluten-free. That's why I am here. We nodded at each other. He gave me the 'sem-gluten (gluten-free) nata. He then brought the toastie and coffee to my table. Everything tasted good.

I went to the counter to pay and the guy tried to charge for a normal toastie. I said 'no I ordered a gluten-free' toastie'. He said 'normal' (which they charge less for btw). I was horrified. I just eaten a glutenous one. I used their toilet to regurgitate the lot. I will spare you the pictures of my puke.

The cafe could stop this happening again by 1. Training the staff in very basic English, since the shop is in a very touristic area. 2. Having a separate gluten-free menu rather than a single menu with two prices (normal/sem-gluten) next to each item. 3. Employ staff with the common sense that even if they don't understand you they will guess that if you want one gluten-free thing, you will probably want everything gluten-free. I mean please, wtf? 4. More radical this... Why not just stop serving glutenous stuff?!? I mean there is enough of that everywhere else. That way you won't make people who put their faith in you very sick.

I hope this never happens to anyone else again.

1  Thank Runoutofgoodnames