“Excellent gluten free spot!”
Review of Zarzuela

Zarzuela
Ranked #9 of 60 Bakeries in Lisbon
Neighborhood: Bairro Alto, Bica & Cais do Sodre
Description: Traditional pastry since 1968 wiht own manufacturing, restuarant and hamburgeria. Handmade ICECREAM Highlight: all our products in "LIGHT" version and dietry, glúten free, lactose free and for diabetics.
Reviewed August 24, 2018 via mobile

Read the reviews and stopped in on the way back from Belem. The restaurant is busy, but the staff is welcoming. I had g-free pizza zarzuela and a pastel da nata. Very tasty!!

udo b, Proprietário at Zarzuela, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2018

We are spezializied in gluten and Lactose Pastry, Backery and a la carte from our Kitchen, Pizzas and ice cream. A place for all the family.
We have the tradicional pastry but gluten free

Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

Beware! This place clearly specialises in gluten-free sandwiches and cakes but they also sell a glutenous version of the sandwiches and natas. I went to the counter and ordered a gluten-free ham&cheese sandwich with coffee, and a gluten-free nata. The guy replied 'gluten-free' and pointed to the sem-gluten natas. I said, yes, gluten-free, everything gluten-free. That's why I am here. We nodded at each other. He gave me the 'sem-gluten (gluten-free) nata. He then brought the toastie and coffee to my table. Everything tasted good.

I went to the counter to pay and the guy tried to charge for a normal toastie. I said 'no I ordered a gluten-free' toastie'. He said 'normal' (which they charge less for btw). I was horrified. I just eaten a glutenous one. I used their toilet to regurgitate the lot. I will spare you the pictures of my puke.

The cafe could stop this happening again by 1. Training the staff in very basic English, since the shop is in a very touristic area. 2. Having a separate gluten-free menu rather than a single menu with two prices (normal/sem-gluten) next to each item. 3. Employ staff with the common sense that even if they don't understand you they will guess that if you want one gluten-free thing, you will probably want everything gluten-free. I mean please, wtf? 4. More radical this... Why not just stop serving glutenous stuff?!? I mean there is enough of that everywhere else. That way you won't make people who put their faith in you very sick.

I hope this never happens to anyone else again.

1  Thank Runoutofgoodnames
Reviewed August 1, 2018 via mobile

Travelling to Portugal I didn’t dare imagine I would have the chance to join in on my non-celiac friend’s enjoyment of the Portuguese tart, but here it was. So yummy I’ll be back for more! Lots of other options for treats and food for gluten free and gluten eaters!

udo b, Gerente at Zarzuela, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2018

We are spezializied in gluten and lactose free offeres, all home made in our backery/Pastry, Kitchen. A place for all the familiy

Reviewed July 28, 2018 via mobile

We came to Zarzuela to try the Portuguese tart. As Celiacs we rarely get to try the local pastries. As a group we selected a number of pastries to try and all fantastic. The staff were wonderful, especially dealing with a celiac that is faced with a choice of fresh pastries and doesn’t know what to do. Even if you don’t need gluten free, great place to visit. Thank you Zarzuela for making lovely food.

udo b, Proprietário at Zarzuela, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2018

we are spezializied in gluten and lactose free offers. we make all in our backer and kitchen, all home made. We are ceritificate by the port. celiac association and Ecarf. A place for all the familiy.

Reviewed July 20, 2018 via mobile

Both my daughter & I are Coeliacs and she had researched this cafe. When we walked in we couldn’t believe our eyes, pastries, doughnuts, pizzas all gluten free and made in a safe environment! Fantastic! Tasted as good as it looked aswell. We went back again, twice but closes on a Tuesday so be warned!Bought takeaways if there custard tarts for taking back to uk. Thankyou! We need more of these cafe/bakeries as quite expensive to keep popping to Lisbon for a decent cake!

2  Thank audreypiggott
udo b, Proprietário at Zarzuela, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2018

We are spezializied in glúten and lactose free pastry, backery and a la carte. A place for all the family