“Almost perfect...”

Palacio Estoril Hotel, Golf and Spa
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Estoril
Reviewed September 12, 2010

We stayed at Hotel Palacio for one week at the end of August. We wanted a relaxing, luxurious holiday, where we didn't have to venture far for food/entertainment/swimming/etc...and that's exactly what we got. It really was a dream holiday, and we spent most of our time by the pool, or on our balcony.

I asked for a room with sea views and a balcony and was told there was none available. However, when we arrived we were given a gorgeous room with a large balcony and views over the pool to Cascais...absolutely superb! The room was tastefully decorated, spacious and very comfortable with everything we needed. On arrival there wasn't a kettle, but they brought one up to us and left it there for the week. The bathroom was huge (and also had lovely views) with quality fittings and toiletries, but my one criticism would be that the shower was tiny.

All members of staff we dealt with were polite, friendly and helpful, and spoke good English.

We used the spa (directly across the carpark) almost everyday - the facilities are fantastic. I loved the circular pool when they turned the current on... The Hammam is different to a traditional one, but nice. The spa treatments were good, very relaxing...but perhaps not as good as from specialist beauticians.

Every Thursday the hotel hosts guests at a complimentary cocktail party...they were very generous with food and drink, and music from a pianist and violinist...most enjoyable.
The only negative experience we had was ordering room service - the chef's special pizza! It was absolutely disgusting. Perhaps the chef was having a bad day, but I wouldn't recommend room service after that experience. We did eat at the Four Seasons restaurant...it was quite nice...but not exceptional. I wouldn't say it was expensive compared to prices in Ireland, but you can definitely get just as good food in Cascais (approx 5 Euro in taxi) for less.

The outside pool is brilliant. The loungers seemed to get taken quite early in the day, but many people lay out on the grass area on the other side of the pool. It was very hot out there, so good to have plenty of umbrellas available. The drinks from the poolside bar were reasonably priced, so it was nice to have a cool beer in the afternoon.

There's a handy shop about 2 minutes walk from the hotel where you can buy wine, water, cheese, ham, olives, etc..which we used a lot. They also have lovely fruit, although the breakfast at the hotel was so plentiful you'd hardly need anything else to eat all day. The breakfast provided great variety, including lots of fresh fruit. I thought the standard of the cooked offerings (sausages, scrambled eggs, bacon, etc) was average, but there was plenty of alternatives to these.

The hotel is a 2 minute walk from Estoril beach...we walked around that area, but preferred to sit by the pool as the beach was very crowded. The train station is also very close. Tickets to Lisbon were cheap, and the ride took about 25 minutes. Our taxi to the airport cost 40 Euros and took approx 35 minutes.

There's not much in Estoril at all (apart from the Casino), if you're looking for more action Cascais is probably better (the 2 nights we went there it was VERY busy). However, for a peaceful, relaxing stay I definitely recommend Hotel Palacio. I absolutely loved our week there, and would definitely return. The hotel is sophisticated but surprisingly unpretentious, I didnt want to leave.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AngelaDickens

Reviewed September 3, 2010

Three friends and I had a wonderfully relaxing few nights at the Palacio after a weekend partying in Lisbon.

The service was fantastic, lovely big pool (always plenty of space on the sunloungers) and large airy rooms. Breakfast was great - huge range of choice. Banyan spa on site and a wonderful bakery across the road selling the most divine pastis de nata and other goodies.

I would recommend this hotel for a relaxing break - real 5 star luxury.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 30, 2010

On a whim I decided to go to Portugal. I didn't know anything about the country but it turned out to be the best place I had been in Europe. Part of that is directly related to this hotel. I chose it because of the reviews and I was not disappointed. You kind of feel like you are stepping back in time when you enter the hotel. The staff is all dressed extremely well and were extremely nice. For example, when I checked into the hotel, the lady behind the front desk actually escorted me to my room to ensure everything was satisfactory. I have stayed in nice hotels before but never experienced this type of service. The room was a little small but it was very comfortable and most importantly clean. I didn't actually use the pool as I am a beach person, but it is very nice. There is also a really nice grassy area. The breakfast, which was included, was very good and the service was excellent. Every time I would get up to get something off the buffet, my napkin would be folded. I don't even know how they had the time to do it because I wasn't up there long. But it just goes to show that they are really on top of things. The common rooms in the hotel are really nice and make you feel like you are in an old mansion (the furniture, marble, etc.). I didn't eat dinner at the hotel so I can't comment on that particular aspect.

As for Estoril, it is a beautiful place. I really enjoyed walking along the esplanade from Estoril to Cascais. It is a nice walk along the water. The water is really cold but it felt good since it was in the 90's while I was there. There are plenty of places to eat along the esplanade as well as in the town of Cascais. I didn't see too many places to eat in Estoril.

Anyway, choose Portugal and choose this hotel. You will not be disappointed. I am already thinking about going back.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 19, 2010

We got a great deal on this hotel - booked directly and got the 7 nights offer with amazing banquet breakfast included - came to £425 each. The breakfast is unbeatable, the outdoor pool stunning and the staff are friendly and relaxed despite the old skool glamour.

Guests can attend the world-class spa across the road for free - they don't make this very obvious, I guess so the spa aren't swamped with guests, so make sure you go there - best spa I have ever been to - we went almost every day!

We also made use of the golf course - which is 4 euros away in a cab. It cost 45 euros by the time we'd hired clubs and bought golf balls but we had a riot - I'd never played before but that didn't matter with the 9 course for beginners.

On Thursdays they have a free cocktail party - very clever idea as the manager mingles and does a bit of informal market research, he was a smooth dude, switching effortlessly between the guests different languages. He said Britons are no longer make up the majority of their guests because of the exchange rate - I think that's a shame as your money goes far at this hotel with so many freebies!

Tip: If you want to eat at the swanky restaurant, bring a jacket and 'proper' shoes. It's fancy. Or if you want a great steak for half the price try the hotel next door - we were impressed.

Tip 2: there aren't that many restaurants in Estoril but there's a nice place at Monte Estoril, set back behind the station - it's quite trendy and good value - on a balcony under some palm trees.

I haven't uploaded any pics but there's some nice hotel ones here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jenniferpoole/sets/72157624729003760/

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LondonTreepixie
Reviewed August 2, 2010

My wife & I recently spent 9 days in Portugal (3 in Lisbon, 6 in Estoril). We chose to go west of Lisbon for the last 6 nights and looked at both Cascais and Estoril. There appears to be a greater choice of hotels in Cascais but I think it is a mistake to class them as different resorts as you can WALK from one to the other in 15 mins. Therefore while the Palacio is classed as the best in Estoril it is not directly compared with those in Cascais and I am confident it would still be number 1, even if you added in Lisbon and possibly all of Portugal!
Access to (and from) Lisbon is very easy with the train station about a 2 minute walk from the hotel, just beside the beachfront or a 15 minute drive.
From my first phone contact with the hotel about a month before travel there was personal attention (provided by Paulo Costa) available at all times, even when he was off duty! It was our 25th wedding anniversary and he saw to it that we were upgraded. The room was huge and we were easily able to add a bed for our daughter who joined us for 3 nights. The bathroom was equally spacious. The TV had a good range of English speaking channels.
Breakfast was about 6 courses (it had been equally expansive in the Real Palacio in Lisbon - no connection), including a large range of juices, cereals, fresh fruits, cold meats, hot buffet, eggs, cheeses and breads.
The outdoor pool was very large and the swimming area never crowded though on one of the days there was a large demand for the poolside chairs. One side of the pool area is chair-free and if very busy you could use this area of lawn to lie out.
There is a complimentary Cocktail Party each Tursday evening, a great way to meet and chat with fellow-guests.
The Spa at the hotel is also outstanding. Guests have full use of the indoor pool area (about 8 different choices of water jets, jacuzzis etc) and all its surrounding area with steam rooms and saunas. We didn't have time to avail of the Thermal Spa or the associated treatments.
We had dinner one night in the hotel, again a very personal and attentive service, with a good if not huge choice of dishes.
All the staff are very loyal ot the hotel and many have worked there for decades. They are all willing to help and advise and though we almost never return to the same area it would certainly tempt us back again. We have nothing negative to say about the hotel and struggle even to find anyhting suggestions for improvement.
We ate out most nights in Cascais, a 5 minute drive or 15 minute walk away. It has a lively centre and music in the square each night beside the very pleasant Palm Tree Restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tadgh
Reviewed July 22, 2010

all the areas including the rooms and the splendid lounges have been recently renovated and refurbished.However, the hotel is in the middle of a large real estate development project (serviced apprtements, commercial buidings ) and for the next coming months one should expect noise,dust etc...and most probably a new extension to the hotel.

All room are not identical! as we booked to superior rooms the first was smaller and cramped when compared to the second much larger and with a beautifull bathroom.
When we complained we moved to a first floor suite the 112 : nice room arragement but sad view on the rblack oof of the main restaurant ,kitchen smell and air blowers noise.

Staff and service was excellent and courteous.Good housekeeping ;However ,a room service tray was left over on the 1 st floor hallway from noon untill...midnight :nobody to remove it?
Breakafast room was elegant (white tableclooths) and pro staff.Good buffet choice including the expresso machine.
If we had to return we would definetely opt for Cascais as Estoril is cramped for space, between a train station and two gaz stations just in front of the Casinoand Palaccio's gardens .
Free internet desk available .

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank mzani
Reviewed July 14, 2010

We have just returned from a seven day visit to Portugal staying in the Palacio hotel, Estoril.
I would just like to thank all the staff for a wonderful time, particular mention should go to the housekeeping department as everything was always spotlessly clean. The pool was an excellent place to relax and you should try the beef burger, it was the best I have ever tasted, along with an ice cold beer sat in a sophisticated environment with like minded guests what more would you want!
Yes items are a bit pricy but what do you expect from a Five Star Hotel, come on you’re not going to Benidorm here!
The hotel is set in a great location with plenty to do every day, visit Lisbon (20 minutes on the train), Sintra and the surrounding area, also the restaurants and night life in Cas Cais along with the Estoril Casino are excellent.
Give the hotel a go you won’t be disappointed!
Oh! and don't forget the Banyan Tree Spa, if anybody could show me a better one i will be amazed!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fyldecoaster
Also consider these accommodations in or near Estoril
Grande Real Villa Italia Hotel & Spa
#7 of 39 in Cascais
The Albatroz Hotel
The Albatroz Hotel
#10 of 39 in Cascais

Been to Palacio Estoril Hotel, Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!