“Excellence in Portugal”

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Estoril
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Excellence in Portugal”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

A true luxury hotel at a reasonable price as long as you negotiate to get the price down. Rack rate of €600 per night once negotiated €140 which when I asked for any possible upgrades go us a suite. The Spa was excellent a real treat and the inclusive breakfast a true wonder to behold. You will easily find cheaper hotels in the area however nothing better. If you want luxury and comfort with excellent service this is the one.

Room Tip: Email for an upgrade especially if you are going for a special event
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Madrid
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Hotel is good. Everything clean, friendly service, etc...Great stay.
Building is old. Regardless of the maintenance, some things point out as just old. For example, loud pipes... you could hear flushings and running water. Plus walls are not up to modern hotels standards and there is too much noise coming from adjacent rooms.
Everything else, quite acceptable, and the location is excellent near a train stop and the beach.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
London
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Chocolates on your pillow, the following day's forecast, sumptuous marble bathrooms, comfortable beds, a fully equipped spa and pool. OK it is pricey but totally worth it. Then if you really feel the need you can take an underground tunnel to the beauty centre next door and get a truly wonderful Thai massage.
The staff were more than courteous AND the breakfast was fabulous, loved the fresh smoked salmon and amazing range of fresh fruits including mango and papaya.
You are a 5 minute walk away from the beach and the casino, where Ian Fleming got inspired to write Casino Royale.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the casino's grounds.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed her during MIT Forum, was upgraded to a suite which was lovely. Overlooked the swimming pool and garden, very peaceful. No noise except the noise the hotel doors made when closing along the corridor. Breakfast very good, lots of choice and the staff wer extremely efficient and friendly. Very close to the beach, enjoyed a stroll on the esplanade. Just wished I had been able to stay longer to take advantage of the spa.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Paris, France
Reviewed October 24, 2012

fanstastic historical hotel completely refurbished with an incredible spa very professionnal and friendly staff we warmly recommend this hotel, it is worth every euro
rooms are beautifully decorated
breakfast is perfect
dinner staff speak many languages and are very attentive
beautiful location by the sea
the spa is fantastic with a huge pool and marvellous lavender scented hammam !

Room Tip: superior rooms are worth the difference wider, with balcony and beautiful view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for three nights on business and was impressed by the high standard of the décor and food. The dinner service ws a little slow and the gym hours too short, but apart from that, it was an excellent hotel with high standards of comfort and service.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The Hotel is in pristine condition and the room that we had (a Junior Suite) was lovely and great value for the price we paid through Expedia.

The breakfast buffet was excellent and catered for all tastes, it helpfully didn't close until half ten which was great if you wanted a lie in but still wanted to get breakfast as well.

Housekeeping was normally finished by the time we came back from breakfast, this is one of the things that annoys me about so many other 4 and 5 star hotels, coming back to a room that still hasn't been made isn't 4 or 5 star service. Thankfully the Palacio seems to have the right ratio of housekeeping staff to rooms so we always had a clean room to come back to.

The one disappointment I had was with the way in which they handled a request made prior to our trip and an issue we had with the Wi-Fi. The trip was a birthday gift for my girlfriend who has had to either work or study on her birthday for the last seven years. I explained the situation via email and requested one of the junior suites that had a garden view with a balcony and asked if I could arrange dinner on the balcony on the night of her birthday. The e-mail went unanswered for three days (I expect a next day response at worst from a 5 star hotel) and then when I chased for an answer I was told that none of the junior suites overlooked the gardens and we could order room service when we got there. They didn’t really engage in a dialogue to see what they could do to make it a special trip, I would have been willing to pay a bit extra for the next class of suite but the response didn’t show any willingness to understand if there was anything they could do to make it a memorable trip. As it turns out, the balcony would have been a bit tight for space to have dinner on; I would have expected the hotel to tell me this to allow me to make alternative arrangements.

The only issue with my room was that the Wi-Fi connection was very weak, it just about worked ok in my lounge but I couldn’t connect in my bedroom. I raised this quite early on in my stay and a concierge came up to my room to check. He agreed that it wasn’t working properly for my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3 so not a brick) and he asked me to speak to reception in the morning to see about alternative rooms. When I spoke to reception they told me a technician was coming out to check it, I asked why this was happening since the concierge had already confirmed that it wasn’t working and was told that the technician would need to confirm it. I hadn’t heard anything by about 7pm that evening so I asked at reception if they’d had an update. One of the guys on reception was quite abrasive and stated ‘He’s been out to check and there’s nothing wrong with the Wi-Fi in the room, it works fine’. Two things, first of all I don’t expect to be spoken to like this in a 5 star hotel and secondly, why hadn’t anyone contacted me to tell me the outcome? I challenged the staff member on this as my device has had no trouble establishing network connections anywhere else and it is one of the latest mobile smartphones. Thankfully one of his colleagues was more diplomatic and very kindly offered to show me alternative rooms (which was all I was looking for). The three rooms that were shown to me were either smaller or weren’t as attractive as our room so we decided to leave it but the manner in which it was handled didn’t make us feel valued as customers.

The Four Seasons restaurant was nice enough but a little overpriced for what they offered and the service and atmosphere was very old school. I’d recommend Hemmingway’s for a fine dining experience, it was only about 6 or 7 Euros in a taxi, had a better quality of food and was cheaper.

The Palacio Estoril is a great hotel, but could do with a little bit more focus on issue resolution for customers. If everything in your room works and you don’t have any special requests then the Palacio will give you a fabulous base for your holiday.

Room Tip: Garden side roome will have a nicer view, if you're on the town side then ask for a room higher...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gsmith1980
Also consider these accommodations in or near Estoril
InterContinental Estoril
#10 of 39 in Cascais
Vila Gale Estoril
Vila Gale Estoril
#3 of 17 in Estoril

Been to Palacio Estoril Hotel, Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!