“Updated, but decent”

Hotel Atlantis Sintra Estoril
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Estoril
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I've stayed on this Hotel for one night, since I had business close by.
The hotel is decent, but completely updated.
I've paid 60€ for room with breakfast, and also there is free parking in the area.
They have wi-fi in the lobby only.
The room is spacious and quiet and the breakfast is medium, lacking fresh products.
Overall for 60€ I was not disappointed, maybe in the summer with the Pool it becomes a better deal.

Room Tip: Garden room seem to be more quiet
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

Adjacent to the Estoril GP Circuit, though a little outdated and in need of some refurbishing this hotel is good for a couple of days pit stop at a very fair price.
It has good outdoor pools and a couple of tennis courts.
Friendly service.
Good convention rooms.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed November 7, 2011

The structure was very old and most of the furniture in a bad condition and decadent, both inside the room and outside (particularly depressing the old armchairs and sofa in the corridors); also the minibar was not in use (therefore it is arguable if it could be considered four starts).
Also the location is not very attractive: just beside the Estoril circuit but in the middle of nothing. It is impossible to go around without cars or taxis.
The breakfast was quite poor in choice although the dinner at the restaurant was acceptable.
Despite the bad conditions of the hotel, the personnel was kind and competent (maybe the only good things of the hotel). In the receptions there was a free internet connection. Luckily the bathroom seemed clean and in order.
I had no time to go to the swimming pool, the gym or other facilities, therefore I cannot judge them.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Paoletor
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Big rooms and a friendly bartender who poored a beer after closing time, but otherwise: just depressing!

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Willemmm
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Having read some reviews on here I was expecting a slighty dated hotel & the Atlantis didn't disappoint. It was clean & the rooms were spacious so that wasn't a problem but the building of a dual carriage way right in front of the hotel gave us a shock upon arrival, this meant that to walk anywhere you had to walk over the building site which during the day was hazardous but at night would've been ridiculous with the limited light. I had read that the bus service was good & after 2 of us got to the Atlantis from our hotel in Lisbon by metro, train & taxi for a total of €15 I was expecting the public transport to be the same but with how dangerous it was to get to the bus stop this was out of the question.
We asked reception if there were any restaurants near by & he directed us to the local shopping mall & his idea of restaurant included KFC, McDonalds & other Portugese fast food outlets. The one shinging light was a pasta outlet which was very nice but hardly somewhere I would recommend for a evening meal when abroad. We were also told it was 500m away which may've been the case if we could have flown but to get there we had to walk along unfinsihed roads after walking past the JCBs & there wasn't pavement in sight. His 500m took us 25 mins to walk whilst we dodged traffic & walked over hundreds of yards of rubble.
We fell unlucky that the Estoril Race track has a race meeting the week we were there but the only good thing was the noise from the straight (situated 30m from the pool) drowned out the building work at the front of the hotel.
The positives were the breakfast which was good & there was plenty of choice, the pool area was nice & the 2 tennis courts were in very good condition.
The bad points were the construction work, no access unless by car, the gym was 'under renovation' (although nothing was done in the 7 nights I was there) & half equiped from the pictures I'd seen, tennis racquets couldn't be hired which rendered the nice courts useless & the crazy golf was falling to pieces.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mrblondebrown
Reviewed September 30, 2008

I stayed at this hotel as part of a group booking for three nights. I was booked to share a room with a friend for each of the three nights. Upon arrival, I was informed (as was my friend) that we were not, according to their records, to have a shared room. The hotel wanted to put us in separate rooms for the first night, thereby increasing the amount that we would collectively pay, and they would arrange a shared room for the second and third nights. We both objected and the hotel agreed to put us in the same room for all three nights.

On the morning of checking out, the hotel demanded payment for four nights (ie the first night in the single room, the same first night in the shared room, thereafter an additional two nights for the final two days). I objected but had to check out to get a flight. I have disputed this charge with my credit card.

To make matters worse, the taxi that the hotel arranged to drive me and my friends to the airport ripped us off for 55 Euros explaining that because it was a Sunday, "special" rates apply. It was only upon arrival at departures that a police officer checked the amount charged (according to local laws it should be a fixed charge of some 37 Euros) and booked the driver, who handed over the difference for which he had ripped us off.

Never, ever, again would I stay at this hotel, quite apart from the fact that as a building it should be condemned. The bathrooms are grim, the rooms plain sad, and forget going down for breakfast.

Being ripped off, twice, soured an otherwise very enjoyable trip with a group of friends.

• Stayed: September 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank steveo748
Reviewed August 18, 2008

I stayed here with a friend for a week right in the middle of August. It was not as busy as expected. This is a relatively small, friendly hotel with good onsite facilities. Some of the reviews on this site say that it feels a bit dated - I agree - I would say it is a 3 star rather than 4 star hotel. Some of the decor is dated, or could do with a bit of maintenance, but this did not detract from our stay.

We got a taxi from Lisbon airport and the driver got lost. As a result, it cost €70 and took an hour. I believe it should have been closer to €50, but I didn't know enough Portuguese to argue! The address of this hotel is unclear. If in doubt, refer to Estoril autodrome - a very useful local landmark. (See below).

Our room was very large, with 2 double beds and a big balcony. From what we could see of other rooms, all seem of a similar size. We were lucky as we had a pool-side view. From what I could tell, the worst view you could get would be the car park. It was quite a long walk to our room though. The hotel is 2 stories high and horse-shoe shaped, and the only access is in the middle. Therefore if your room is at a far end (as ours was) it can feel quite a trip getting there!

NOTE OF CAUTION: This hotel is RIGHT NEXT DOOR to the Estoril race track. I do not know when race season is, but it would certainly be worth finding out before you go! We were fine in August, but I can imagine it would be very disturbing lying by the pool and listening to race motors. Some rooms are just across the fence from the track too. (However, it does prove useful for directing taxi drivers to!)

The swimming pool is a great size, with a jacuzzi attached. There are tennis courts and crazy golf which is all free to residents. There is a sauna on site and massages can be booked a day in advance. The staff are friendly, the restaurant is of good quality and not too expensive and the bar is accommodating too.

There was a fridge in our room which was a great touch. We only had breakfast included, so we made packed lunches. We couldn't find a shop nearby, but there is a bus stop right outside with buses to Estoril or Cascais about every 15 minutes. The journey costs €1.90 each way.

Estoril is nice for the beach or the train station, but there is not much there town-wise. Cascais is better for restaurants and night life, a large supermarket and more beaches. You can easily get the train from Estoril or Cascais into Lisbon which is well worth a visit. The trains follow the coast which is beautiful. We returned to the airport via train and then an aiport bus from outside the station. A much cheaper option, but it did take about 2.5 hours.

NOTE OF CAUTION: The last bus back from Cascais is at 9.15pm. If you catch it, as we did once, the last stop is the one before the hotel. This is only a 5 minute walk, but you have no choice but to walk ALONG THE HARD SHOULDER of a duel carriageway to get there! We didn't want to risk this in the dark, and ended up waiting half an hour for a taxi to drive past. I would recommend getting a taxi all the way from Cascais instead, at a cost of about €7.

Overall, this was a very enjoyable week. A great mixture of lying by the pool, making use of the hotel facilities, and very easy to go and explore if you want to. I would happily stay here again - as long as it wasn't racing season!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank meerkat95