“Popular”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This stop nearby the Casino gardens is always packed, especially in the later part of the weekend afternoons. Tea and pastries galore. Excellent service to match!

Reviewed June 30, 2013

sometimes, recommendation disappoints but not this one! immaculate decor with crisp table linen, attentive kind waiter. Had green bean soup, fig with ham, plate of prawns with 2 dips, half bottle of wine, cakes and coffees- 35 euros. Cannot go wrong with this because: bean soup lovely and smooth, ham was cured and v tasty, figs were just ripe, without falling apart, prawns were that fresh that u could eat them whole. delicious selection of sweet pastries, puff, not too sweet, just perfect,douro wine v good. excellent service, spotless loo.
We ate in several other places, see my other reviews and some were ok, some were a write off, some v expensive and nothing special.
Wish we didn't explore other places and went back to this Pastelaria.

3  Thank WestCountryFroggy
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We have just had a lovely lunch at the Pastelaria Garrett.
Yes it is a little expensive but in this case it proves the old adage "you get what you pay for"!
The decor and layout is exactly what you would expect from a high class establishment in any major city in Europe.
The quality of the food and service does not let them down.
We decided on a slice each of what I would call a quiche but which probably has another name here in Portugal. Also, as I had read previously, savoury items are not always what they seem and many have some sweet additions.
The pastry was thin, perfectly cooked and flaky. The egg custard was light and fluffy with almost a soufflé quality. There was a generous amount of spinach. But the real surprise were the pine nuts and sultanas at the bottom. These gave the basically savoury dish a definite sweetness. We both loved it and it is a dish I will certainly attempt to reproduce once I get home. I am sure it is in one of the Portuguese recipe books I bought recently.
We followed up with fresh fruit topped cheesecakes. One was a small round and at first we thought it was a fruit tart the other was a triangular slice from a bigger round.
Both were very light and tasty. The red fruits were ripe and sweet. There was a generous amount of red currants, a couple each of raspberries and blackberries and a halved strawberry. Absolutely yummy!
We had both started weigh a small (20 cl) beer and I finished with a coffee (bica).
Cost was €19.20.
A little expensive? Yes!
Value for money? Yes!
Would we go there again? Oh yes. Tomorrow if we have the time.
Peter & Jean. :o)

2  Thank PRO69
Reviewed June 17, 2013

A nice place for lunch. I found it unexceptional and a bit overpriced (though Estoril has high price levels overall), but the food was good and service was decent. To be fair, I've probably never eaten so well as during my week in Portugal, so "unexceptional" here is still pretty good.

1  Thank Dorothy P
Reviewed June 12, 2013

If you like going in pastelarias in Portugal, you can't afford you not to go in that pastelaria, which is the most famous in Estoril (and the most expensive also). Everything is a devil for your eyes, you would like to buy everything.
I have also lunched one time, the lunch was quite good, but nothing exceptionnel.