“meat lovers paradise”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Lisbon, Portugal
“meat lovers paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

in this hidden gem inside Casino Estoril I ate the best steak of all my life . Tender and tasty such as the sauce But not only. The fries were divine . The dessert - Tarte Tatin splendid . The service very kind . And the red wine by glass a high quality wine by a low price . i'll be here for dinner soonly

• Visited August 2013

Toronto, Canada
“good food, too much smoke”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

The food was good as was the wine.

We started out alone in the restaurant which was great, but then it filled up quickly with smokers. I know this is not the restaurants fault, but it is awful to eat a nice steak and it be ruined by smoke filling the air.
They should have a no smoking area.

As well if you eat the bread they serve you when you sit down, you will be charged for it. A common thing we found in Portugal. They should warn you of this as well, as we would never choose to order a slice of toast with our meals.

The traditional steak was my husbands favourite. Much better steak than the sirloin- very thin.

• Visited July 2013
Vevey, Switzerland
“As nice and good as the classic one in Lisbon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

I have known the Cafe de Sao Bento in Lisbon for a long time since I had lived there for a few years. Always a nice place to go, with flawless service and an awesome steak, very famous in town.
In these last holidays I went with a friend to try the newest one in Estoril inside the Estoril Casino.
I met one of the older waiters, very kind, and I ate the classic steak. Very tender meat and very tasty sauce, as usual. I finished with a Tatin Apple Pie with vanilla ice cream: fabulous.

• Visited June 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
“Good steak after hours”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Very friendly place to be with family, even for those large families like mine, with three grown up boys and their wives and friends. The time went by and the dinner was as usual a good family get together.

• Visited July 2013
Poole, United Kingdom
“A Tasty Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

Estoril Casino
As Portugal was neutral during the Second World War, the Estoril Casino became a meeting place for Intelligence Officers of several different nations. One was a young Englishman by the name of Ian Lancaster Fleming.
Later, based on his own experiences and the Estoril Casino he wrote a book called Casino Royal.
The Casino is strategically sited at the top of a small rise. Leading up to it is a pleasant garden ending at a pool with an interesting fountain. After dark the fountain comes alive with colour and movement. It is worth a walk up this small hill in the evening just to watch the fountains change.
If you then go to the left side of the building you can enter for free the Casino it's self.
Once inside it is a blaze of lights and colours. There are slot machines galore and after 19:30 the upper floor is opened with the usual Black Jack and Roulette tables.
Back downstairs are several bars, a Chinese Restaurant, a buffet bar (@ €15 each for what looks like a good buffet) and the Cafe Sao Bento. This small restaurant was our destination on this evening. We had been told to book, which we did through our hotel reception. However, whilst there we saw only another six customers. Still we are early diners and I am sure it filled up later.
The decor is red plush, nice but rather faded. In need of a bit of TLC. The staff however were lovely and right "on the ball"!
We had had a drink at the sunken bar in the middle of the reception area so just ordered a 1/2 bottle of the Fundacao Eugenio. This was dry and a little lighter on flavour than we had expected. Still it was drinkable and not over priced.
A basket of mixed, toasted bread and pats of butter were brought to the table with the menu.
The menu is small but with enough choices to tempt most people... Provided you like steaks. Steaks are what they are famous for and steaks are what we had come to eat.
As usual Jean did not feel the need for a starter but for myself I ordered the smoked black pig ham. This was thinly sliced as it should be and I thought that it was a good portion as there were at least 12 large slices. It was moist, lean and very much to my liking.
For our main course we both ordered the Bife Cafe Sao Bento. This is a fillet mignon with a cream sauce. We both ordered it medium as we knew from experience that they would probably come more medium rare, which is what we wanted and in fact they did. I asked for an egg on mine. Jean ordered a green salad which was huge and I ordered the creamed spinach.
The steaks were of a nice size, not too big, they were tender and tasty and the sauce was lovely. So many places think they have to make cream sauce so thick that you can spread it with a knife! But this was just right to perfectly cover the back of a spoon. As said, the salad was huge and the spinach excellent with a nice hint of nutmeg.
Once again I was the pig of the party and ordered a desert. Two scoops of Hagen Daz ice cream. One chocolate and one macadamia. Very nice it was too!
A lovely meal in pleasant surroundings.
The bill:
1 spinach €3.90
1/2 bottle red wine €9.60
2 scoops ice cream €5.40
Total €75.70
A reasonable price for a nice, tasty meal.
I have just realised that they did not charge for the ham! Ah well that makes up for the few Euros I lost at roulette!
The most important thing was that Jean thoroughly enjoyed her evening and was very impressed by the size and layout of the Casino.
Peter & Jean. :o)