“Agree with other reviews”
Review of A Toca do Julio

A Toca do Julio
Ranked #6 of 27 Restaurants in Colares
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 4, 2014

The other reviewers are correct. This place not only serves prosciutto, they make it themselves (you can see them hanging) and apparently much of the food comes from their own farm. In this case don't be put off by the fact that it's a favourite with tour companies. Service is also very good -- really enjoyed being looked after by Yolanda.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

My wife and I were part of a small group which was brought to this restaurant for lunch. as part of a tour to Sintra and Capo Roca, among other places. It has an old rustic charm and the decor is pure Portuguese and comfortable. it is on the tourist track as many tour companies use this place for lunch. I suppose it was therefore with some trepidation that we entered the interior, but our minds were soon put to rest by the friendly and attentive service we received, plus the quality of the food from a purely Portuguese menu. We both had fish for our main course, my wife having the sea bass and I the dorado. Both fish were very fresh and well cooked, coming with boiled potatoes and green vegetables. The desserts were excellent.
It was a pleasing experience all round, particularly with white and red local wine being provided as part of the tour price.
Yes, we would recommend this restaurant to anyone who finds themselves in the area, and yes, we would go back there again.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Although a tourist spot, the A Toca do Julio, Estrada 12, 12 Almocageme-Colares, presented an authentic portuguese experience.

The staff were very friendly and efficient and communication was not a problem.

The customary optional appetisers were not the sad affairs offered often in tourist areas, but were the equivalent of good starters(and used as such). The monkfish with prawns was beautifully cooked, no mean feat for seafood on a skewer.

The overall cost was extremely reasonable.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I recently had lunch at Toca do Julio, having been brought here by a tour guide from Celina Day Tours out of Lisbon. It appeared that this restaurant accommodates numerous tour groups visiting Sintra & coastal areas of Portugal. There are two dining rooms, one for locals and the other for tourists. The decor is quite rustic, with hanging and aging prosciuttos from the ceiling rafters. Tables were heavy wood and the table setting was family style.

A nice basket of crusty bread was delivery immediately to our table, along with a plate of thickly slice prosciutto, local cheese, olives and sliced Honeydew melon. I sat with others from our group and there was enough for everyone. For an entree, I had a hanging skewer of grilled Monk fish, prawns and onions. The dish was flavorful and not over-cooked. The wait staff was attentive and prices were reasonable.

If I resided in the area, I would return to sample some of the other grilled specialties on the menu. Unfortunately, I had no idea where I was and I have no imminent plans of returning to this area of Portugal. All in all, the restaurant was a good choice made by Celina Day Tours.

1  Thank Mirto56
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The menu is mainly Portuguese tradicional food, very well cooked and served. The prices are not high for the quality of the service and food. The place is nice and in winter you can eat by the fireplace. The staff is nice and kind.