“Enjoyable but didn't quite live up to its hype” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oitavos Dunes

Oitavos Dunes
London, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable but didn't quite live up to its hype”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I thought the course was very good with stunning views. There are some fantastic holes, particularly the 8th, 10th, 14th, 18th but also some that are a little weak such as the 12th (stupid green) and 16th. However, I didn't feel it had the consistent challenge of Penha Longa and was not in as good condition. The welcome and service from the reception staff and marshalls was good, but again not fantastic. We had to go across to the hotel for lunch which is an odd building. The service was good, but understaffed and took a while.

Visited May 2013

Paris, France
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Monies worth of golf”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

We play a lot of golf and so far Oitavos Dunes is our most scenic and challenging course. We played 3 days straight, which was a bit much given the challenges of wind. I walked 2 of the 3 and rode in a cart one day with our son. My husband walked all 3. Both of us were truly exhausted after the 3rd day. The course is just off of the beaches of Guincho where world champions come to compete in wind and sail surfing. Our first day the winds were blowing constant at 30 knots/hour. Keep the ball low is key. If you are walking, it's can be just as much of a challenge to get yourself to the hole as much as the ball. Buggys are available if you don't walk or prefer to ride.

Cost was reasonable. The staff were so very friendly and they had on course beverage/snack cart. But, the greatest thing about this course in addition to the challenges of the wind; were the diverse views of the Atlantic and/or the mountains. If you can sustain through the 1st 13 holes (13 is par 5 uphill and into the wind) your reward is 14 (par 3 over a huge ravine). 15 - 18 will be your gift for the excursion - as all holes are facing with wind behind you. Enjoy the drives.

I'll definitely be back. After a good round, stop and eat at Restaurant Fumas do Guincho.

Visited April 2013
Calgary, Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Overrated - living off of its old world top 100 ranking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Links golf course, back nine much more interesting and challenging than front. However, reception and welcome service was poor, almost rude. We rented golf clubs for 40 euro per day, (we paid 65 for the whole week from clubsforhire.com on the Algarve). One set was short a club and we had to go back to clubhouse to correct even after we asked a staff member if someone could bring out the missing club. Power carts were 70 euros (for 2). While they had lockers, we had to ask if we could use them and where to get keys as help was not forthcoming. Must say that the bar and restaurant service was much friendlier and most helpful. The condition of the course itself was not up to its billing as top 100 either. This place needs a tune-up all round.

Visited April 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Best in Lisbon Area?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

First, an admission. I am very, very fond of links courses where the wind blows and you can, and sometimes have to, play the ball along the ground. I think it provides for a much more varied golfing experience than target golf (lobbing wedge after wedge into parkland-style greens). But, taste is personal...

Second, in rating this experience I am not comparing Oitavos with the best links courses in the British Isles. I guess most of you reading this have either already decided on Lisbon and are searching for golf courses in the area or are comparing Lisbon to different golfing destinations in similar climate zones.

With this in mind, I can wholeheartedly recommend Oitavos and I do so for four main reasons:
1) the layout of the course and the views: many tee shots are incredibly scenic,
2) the conditioning of the course: you can come here when other tracks are wet (not uncommon in the winter) and still not have a speck of mud on you shoes coming in, and
3) the 19th hole: we were very well treated when we had our late lunch after playing and the views are just as great as on the course.
4) fantastic hotel, literally on the course: I played with a PGA Pro scouting out the place and tagged along when he was shown around the hotel. Awesome!

Finally: why the headline?
I have stayed an played a week each at Penha Longa and Praia del Rey and this place easily beats them both on all four counts. The question mark is there because I have not been to enough other places in the area to be absolutely sure.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Ex-expat-1964
Arosa, Switzerland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Nice golf - terrible service in the Restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

We were there with a group of Swiss golfers. Golftreatment was ok and professional, the course is nice and offers good views and holes. At the end we got a very unfriendly treatment in the restaurant, which spoiled the whole experience. A pitty!