Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Review Highlights
Fantastic Stag Party

The highlight of the stag weekend was the visit to these guys along with the beautiful beach. The... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
gavalar1974
via mobile
Good vibe, amazing people and a lot of fun!

Moana surf school is the place to be to learn to surf. Good waves (also for beginners), good... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
larissa-travellove
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Google
Recommended experiences in and around Cascais
SURF EXPERIENCE
74 Reviews
from $42.67
from $56.15
from $62.94
More Info
All reviews surf school his team guincho beach private lesson rough waves wet suits excellent instructors great fun complete beginner green waves spent a week learn how awesome experience perfect location these guys beautiful beach a lot of fun
Selected filters
Reviewed July 28, 2019 via mobile

I am not a surfer and am 64 years old. My friend, aged 67, who does surf wanted to go surfing in Portugal. I happened upon the Moana Surf Shop, next to the Guincho Beach Bar , which I visited several times. I spoke to Megan ( from Michigan by way of Guatamala, I think) who assured me that I was not too old . From there Miguel set us up with Pepe , one of their very seasoned and very patient and very competent surf instructors. The surf and weather were a bit out of control with misty rain and surf that was coming from every direction creating a frothy white water reminiscent of a washing machine. Nevertheless, Pepe taught us the basics on the beach and quickly had us in the water actually trying to surf some of the powerful mid range waves. Pepe kept us protected and then turned us into the waves and we’d take turns standing up and riding the surf to the beach. It was a great time and we’ll talk about it for quite some time. My long-winded recommendation is to try these guys and gals at Moana Surf School where you will get competent instruction by compassionate people at one of the most exciting beaches in Portugal. Many thanks to Miguel and his team- Megan and especially Pepe for great time backed up by some of the best instruction around. We can only imagine being there on a normal day when the waves are not as fierce. But try Moana, they are good folks, and worth the visit!
- Bill Kelly

Reviewed July 23, 2019

We are one or twice in the year in Portugal Cascais Guincho Beach and we always visiting Moana Surf School Alex and his team are giving everyone a warm welcome and a and a save feeling at the time when you are enjoying the surfing class or a privat lessen specially they teaching kids they are with they full heart in it my son really had so much fun with is instructor we all had fantastic time and we all really definitely recommend Moana for Kids friendly fun Surf School ‍♀️

Reviewed July 22, 2019

5 days surf school for my 2 daughters 11 and 15. they had a super time , were well looked after and it really made our holiday a success. Thoroughly recommended.
The teachers are all obviously in love with their sport and are very enthusiastic, they look after the smaller children well and the ratio of pupils to teachers is excellent (and safe). The teachers spend a lot of time and effort with the smaller kids as the waves can be pretty impressive and they need help getting through them before they can then turn round and head for shore on the board.
Miguel and Meghan deal with all the bookings and all runs smoothly- Miguel also takes some excellent photos , better than I could take ! 30 Euros for a 'pack'.

We bought a pack of 10 lessons and split them between the 2 kids-very reasonable pricing, good value.

Logistics-

1) Bar Do Guincho is the site of the school-its at the north end of Guincho beach. This is down a rocky/dusty road off the main road that taxis will not go down so expect a short 5 minute walk to get to the school/bar. Alternatively walk the length of the beach from the hotel on south side. note that Guincho beach is a long way from Cascais-certainly not walking distance ! We didn't realise that when we booked our hols !If you have a car theres a paying carpark at the bottom of said dusty road next to the school.

2) however its easy-8 euros each way in taxi from Cascais and about 10 minutes. I think there is a bus pickup by the school for about the same price-we didn't use it and found taxis dead easy. The bar or hotel will oder the return taxi and it takes about 10 minutes to arrive.

3) don't be fooled by the seemingly laid back booking arrangements for the Moana school, no prebooking required on Alex, the boss' advice. After daily phone checks with Alex re the weather we had a lesson at 1030 every day and it ran like clockwork-all gets sorted out on the day, with lots of teachers. if weather is windy then alternative arrangements are made (as happened one afternoon we were there-too windy). stress free !

4) toilets at the bar and toilets/shower and a surf shop adjacent to the school.

5) bar food and drink is excellent and very reasonably priced

6) no changing facilities at the school so take your towel and do the towel shuffle thing !

7) my emails all answered promptly by Alex.

Highly recommended-thanks Alex and all the instructors !

Reviewed July 19, 2019 via mobile

We spent an hour having a private lesson. The instructor was very patient and helpful. Facilities were good and the setting was stunning. 20 minutes from Cascais-Estoril with easy parking. Restaurant and bar/toilets on site. Payment was cash or Paypal.

Reviewed July 19, 2019

Myself and my 2 sons aged 8 & 11 tried surfing for first time in July. we joined 3 group lessons, 1.5 hours each, over 3 days.
The first day I was a bit hungover from the delicious Portuguese wine and initially found it hard but the coach Pedro kept me motivated, always calling me over, helping and encouraging me to try again even.
My youngest son initially found it too difficult, trying to maneuver in the surf with the wind and wanted to give up. the challenged seemed to big for him. the amazing coach David coaxed him back in and made it fun again and within a few tries he was up and surfing, AMAZING! in fact the ratio of coaches to students was so good, the boys practically had 1to1 coaching all the time.
By the end of the three days we were all able to get up on the board which seemed impossible on the first day
I would really like to thanks all involved as I know its a big team effort from everybody there,
Thanks guys