“Another wonderful stay at the Hotel Baia”
Review of Hotel Baia

Hotel Baia
Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in Cascais
GreenLeadersGold level
charleston
“Another wonderful stay at the Hotel Baia”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We just returned from another wonderful 10 day stay at the Hotel Baia. The staff at the hotel is excellent and our room was lovely with a breathtaking view of the ocean and slept peacefully to the sound of the waves breaking on the shore. Also enjoyed the view up the coast from our shower! The many modern renovations to the hotel are excellent while still maintaining its old world charm - celebrating 50 years! You cannot find a better location than this hotel, easy walk to shops, restaurants, the marina and the miles long promenade to Estoril along the coast offering a spectacular experience, view and restaurants by the sea. The hotel Baia restaurant run by Chef Nuno Ribeiro is excellent, our meals were outstanding and Chef was generous with sharing some recipes so I can try to replicate at home.
If you are looking for the best location, comfortable rooms with balcony, awesome views of the sea, great breakfast buffet, attentive staff, GREAT restaurant, terrace dining option, roof top pool with breathtaking views and meals poolside at a great price - this is the place!!

Room Tip: room 405 is perfect! Large, sunny with a view up the coast from the shower!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DarleneKristi
JoaoCoruche, General Manager at Hotel Baia, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I'm sure many people will find it very usefull. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Finnish first
Cascais, Portugal
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Great rooms with en suite and sea view in our case.

Clean & friendly staff.

Great restaurant with an excellent view of cascais bay and very reasonably priced..

Right in the centre of cascais near all the restaurants and easy access to the train station to lisbon.

Room Tip: Ask at reception after booking if you can be upgraded or make sure you ask for a view when you book.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank SurfnPaddle C
JoaoCoruche, General Manager at Hotel Baia, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I'm sure many people will find it very usefull. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Walldorf, Germany
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Pros:
The location is great. The beach starts directly across the street. The rooms have little balconies with an excellent view. Room and bathroom were clean. Bed was OK. The price was good, too (after a little bargaining on the phone). Staff was very friendly when checking out.
Cons:
Staff was not so friendly when checking in. Due to the location it was rather noisy. It is an old hotel, doors, furniture and especially carpets look a bit sad.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank terbang
JoaoCoruche, Gerente geral at Hotel Baia, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. Your feedback is very important to us. The friendliness of the check in staff is something I will adress immediately!
The hotel is 50 years old this year and we are constantly doing renovations bit by bit. This means that some rooms will be more modern than others. We look forward to your next visit and perhaps we will be able to put you in one of the more recently renovated rooms.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Hotel Baia is one of the best justifications for the notion that you shouldn’t judge a hotel by its star rating. For a start this three star hotel dominates its cove in the Cascais bay in the way you might expect a five star hotel to do. Its commanding presence on its exterior is matched by the comfort and consideration that has be taken inside the hotel.

I have just returned on New Years Eve from a week at the hotel which was one of the best holidays I have ever enjoyed. I had a comfortable room on the second floor with a balcony overlooking the bay. Almost every thing I needed was in place, and a couple of odd things that needed attention were speedily put right.

Catering in the place was to a high standard. The large breakfast buffet, unfeasibly large for one who tends to stick to cereal and coffee and toast, but it was all there if you wanted it. A snack service throughout the day with a good selection of items, and an award winning restaurant which gave me all the fresh fish I could want, presumably caught that day by Cascais own fishing boats, and cooked to perfection in the hotel’s kitchen. There were lots of meat, seafood and other options I did not attempt, though I did try and enjoyed tomato soup with a poached egg, an option I had not come across before.

There many other fine aspects to this hotel from a swimming pool and sunbathing area on the fifth floor, the Xmas weather though excellent did not quite reach sunbathing levels. I also liked the many nooks and crannies around the hotel where one could hide yourself away reading a book or using the iPad or computer, though the internet is only available on the ground floor. I noticed on their website that rooms cost around €50 a night, though as I had a balcony, mine was slightly more. I booked through Expedia who provided an excellent service, but the hotel did say that if I contacted them direct they might be able to make a better offer, which I will do next time

The staff were always helpful and friendly, coming up with practical solutions to all the problems I presented them with during my stay. The thing I much appreciate about being in a three star hotel as opposed to a five star, is that this three star hotel gave me all the facilities I needed, but left me to organise myself.

Of course the best hotel in the world would not compensate for being in a poor resort. Well Cascais is an excellent resort, with a wonderful coastline and beaches, where you can walk all the way past Estoril, There are plenty of other lovely walks, fine restaurants and cafes, and a fine shopping centre. My intention before I came had been to spend a least a couple of days in Lisbon, but the weather was far too good and the town far too pleasant. I just stayed in Cascais, soaked up the sun and pitied the people stuck in London facing the Xmas cold and rain

A good judge of a hotel is whether you would come back to it again. Well the Hotel Baia has already passed that one, because I first came in Xmas 2006, and I would probably have come back before but ill health prevented it. Now I have been again, and all the good things I noticed the first time have been repeated. I am certainly planning to come again next Xmas

Room Tip: The rooms without balconies are bigger than those with them, but I found the balcony gave you an ext...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank 1ToGo1
JoaoCoruche, Gerente geral at Hotel Baia, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I'm sure many people will find it very usefull. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Reviewed December 18, 2012

The hotel is in a great location with the beach cove right in front of the hotel. The hotel is nice, rooms a little small but adequate & cleaned daily. There's a small pool on the roof, but a great spot for sunbathing. We were there in mid September and the weather was fantastic, about 30 degrees with clear blue skies, we were told this was normally weather for August. Cascais has everything you want without being too big, plenty of reasonable restaurants and pubs, Shops & a few clubs. Taxis in Portugal were very cheap and were normally charged on the meter, a 45 min from Lisbon to Cascais cost us €30 between 4 people with luggage. Be wary of ordering a Taxi through the hotel as we got ripped off by Antonio Vieira(Lisbon Coast golf), to travel 10 mins to a golf club, it cost us €7 per person x 4 (€28)! A similar trip on a meter was €7. We were there on a stag doo and had a great time with everything in the vicinity. Cascais is very clean and well maintained with very friendly people, a recommended venue for anyone. The open air night club at Estoril is definitely worth a visit at the weekend if you're up for an all night party!

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank KevFromEngland
JoaoCoruche, General Manager at Hotel Baia, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Kev from Englad,

Thank you for your review. I also thank you for giving us feed back about your experience with Lisbon Coast Golf, an independant agent offering golf services in the area. Although this is not a service offered by the hotel we often work with them so your feed back is very usefull. However, I wonder if you are taking into account the transportation of golf clubs?
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Baía in the near future. In the mean time, have a fantastic Christmas!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Although the weather was not at its best for our stay(Nov24th-3rdDec) this Hotel was great. First of all the location, in the centre facing the Marina and Beach area of Cascais.This meant that shops,Bars and Restaurant were all within a 5-10 walk. The Hotel itself was of overall excellent value, the Staff were very helpful in all aspect during our stay. The room was cleaned every day even at 14.00hrs.(We stayed in a twin room 4th floor with Balcony) The Restaurant at the Hotel was good to very good(we only ate twice there) as we found an excellent Restaurant (The Luzmar) 2min from the Hotel,highly recommended for service and food(try the White Asparagus) with grilled Pork Chops also any of their Local Fish dishes.

Room Tip: Choose a sea facing room with Balcony.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KenAnna657
JoaoCoruche, General Manager at Hotel Baia, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the new year. In the meantime, have a fantastic Christmas!
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We had seen the hotel on a recent visit to Cascais and thought it would be a good place to stay, right next to the sea front. Our stay was only for 4 days but was really first class. The staff were very friendly and helpful with everything my husband and I needed. We requested a room near the lifts as my husband has difficulty walking and that was done. The rooms were spotless clean and the roof top pool area was superb - especially at night. We shall definitely return.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms would probably be a little noisy during the height of the season
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Elaine S
Thank you very much for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.