It is rare that one gets to stay at such an impressive location with the waves of the Atlantic crashing onto the beach nearby and the hills of Sintra looming in the distance. But when the hotel itself is a marvellously refurbished old fort, tastefully and expensively decorated then it is hard to fault it.
Yes, as some have said the rooms are not huge and may be a little dark but there are so many other positive things to say about the rooms including the whirlepool bath.
We could not eat in the hotel that night as they were already booked (grrrr) so we ate at a nearby seafood restaurant and had a wonderful meal there instead. So if your plan is to eat at the hotel it might be wise to let them know in advance.
The only slight negative was that we found some of the staff a little aloof. Considering that everywhere else we stayed in Portugal we had marvellously friendly and attentive service it let the overall experience down somewhat.
However overall I recommend a stay here as it is quite unique.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Leaning over the Atlantic Ocean, the Fortaleza do Guincho welcomes a charming five star boutique hotel - integrated into in the prestigious Relais & Chateaux association - with a range of services that focus on the well being and peacefulness of the customers. The Hotel's restaurant, awarded with a Michelin Star, offers an unforgettable dining experience of Portuguese cuisine, made from the finest national products. The Hotel Fortaleza do Guincho has a warm and personalized service, making it the ideal place for a family holiday, board meetings or the perfect refuge for a romantic getaway. It has the perfect conditions for company meetings, special parties and events or banquets. Located just seven kilometers from the town of Cascais and 30 kilometers from Lisbon and the International Airport, the cultural and leisure offer in the region is rich and full of varieties. Along the cost line you will find Sintra and its magnificent monuments and natural landscape, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. For sea lovers abound beaches along the coast and all kinds of water sports and outdoor activities . The Hotel is surrounded by the best golf courses, while the Estoril Casino, the largest in Europe, is just a few minutes away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Fortaleza do Guincho reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fortaleza Do Guincho Cascais
- Fortaleza Do Guincho Hotel Cascais