Fortaleza do Guincho
$259
$180
$162
$155
All reviewsmichelin starenclosed balconyrelais and chateauxcliff overlookingcrashing wavescomplimentary fruitchaise longuehuge wavesoutstanding restaurantamuse boucheold fortressguincho beachthe atlantic oceanportuguese coastsuperior roomkite surfersjunior suites
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Fortaleza is a unique hotel – a pretend fort on a promontory between two splendid surfing beaches (not recommended for casual sunbathers), a view of the Cabo da Roca and the Atlantic thundering nearby. The design is eclectic with an exotic feel and was far too complex for our minimalist taste.

For a five star resort hotel, the facilities are inadequate - no pool, no sun loungers, practically no outdoor space. The restaurant is excellent, one of Portugal’s best, and we much enjoyed dinner there.

Our room was small and poorly lit, with a heavy oriental furnishings and decor. The bathroom was tiny (we had one twice as large in a nearby three star hotel) and offered the most complicated bath/shower/whirlpool/steam bath combo we have ever seen and one far too complicated to master in only two nights (but we did manage to get the shower to work).

The staff were pleasant and helpful. There is free but complicated WiFi available in the public areas.

Some will find the Fortaleza's unique quirkiness attractive but it wasn’t to our taste (apart from the excellent food).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank globaltraveller200
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We hiked for 8 miles to reach this oasis .The hotel is impressive; the view is outstanding; and the food is to die for.It is an experience that the six of us will long remember.The staff is very helpful and the dining was a culinary experience. Our waiter made the evening a perfect one.

Room Tip: Go for a room with an ocean view
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Reidduse
Reviewed August 4, 2012

The best place: the nice surrounding and views, easy and quick access to Cascais, Lisbon and Sintra... Fantastic nature and beaches outside the hotel. The history, nice rooms with ocean view, gourmet restaurant - inside! This is really fantastic place! We came home after 2 weeks travel through Portugal, changing the places and hotels, and Fortaleza do Guincho left us the biggest impresion. We would like to come back here! We'll be back!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Glotera
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Who could resist a romantic package that includes one night at a fabulous Relais & Chateau property, dinner in their Michelin starred restaurant and a bottle of champagne, all for 400 euro? Well, I certainly couldn't.
Was I happy with the result? Yes. A 100 percent satisfied ? No.
Let's look at the plus side first. Fortaleza do Guincho is an impressive historical building, set in a breathtaking natural environment. Some of Portugals most beautiful surfing beaches are next to the hotel, and the coastline is stark and wild. Most of the rooms and the restaurant have wonderful views. The champagne waiting for us was Piper Heidsieck, no complaints, and the overall service was smooth and professional.
On the down side: our room was pretty small and unimpressive , but it did have the view. Dinner was delicious, with foie gras as a starter, but the portions fort the main dish were incredibly small. We had three very tiny noisettes of lamb, and if you have been touring Portugal for a while, this comes as a real surprise, portions always being so generous.
Mayby this was, after all, the biggest dissapointment: the Fortaleze lacked neither style or quality, but a certain generosity and warmth that Portugal has in abundance.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Talkabout
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I don't know if I have words appropriate enough to describe my intense happiness with the Fortaleza. Situated approximately 20 minutes North (I think) of Cascais center, this area is stunningly beautiful. The hotel is fantastic and worth every penny I paid. Yes it's pricy, but worth it. I slept with windows facing the sea, hearing the waves each night. The hotel was sparkling clean, the service was awesome. I would definitely go back there.

A word of caution...the in-house restaurant is very expensive (paid close to 1 night's room rate) but the food is absolutely an experience not to be missed! The chief obviously puts a great deal of thought and creativity into every little thing that will be on your plate.

Fernando, their bartender, makes the most fantastic of fantastic sangria you will ever have. I still am dreaming of my chair on their balcony with his sangria. Scrumptious.

If you want an honest cab driver in the Cascais area, please call Antonio Capitao (Taxi-Cascais) Moble Number: +965 291 546. As you can see, I asked him for his card because I was so pleased with his service. Antonio was marvelous to us and likes to practice his English. He has taken people on guided tours of Lisbon and Cascais (the surrounding areas also). He is very well informed of all the interesting things to see and do in the area. He took us to Sintra and we pre-arranged a time for him to pick us up to take us back to the Fortaleza. A really nice man! If it weren't for Antonio, we wouldn't have gone or even known about Sintra and it was one of the hi-lights of our trip.

All you Experienced wind surfers and kite surfers (and I mean experienced), this is the area you're looking for. You'll have plenty of company there too. I saw a surf shop to the right of Fortaleza. The "big beach" to the right of the hotel. Take a walk down there...

Well, my Portugal trip was lovely and the Fortaleza made it perfect!

Room Tip: You want the 2nd floor. They upgraded us to one when we checked in.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple