The Fortaleza is a unique hotel – a pretend fort on a promontory between two splendid surfing beaches (not recommended for casual sunbathers), a view of the Cabo da Roca and the Atlantic thundering nearby. The design is eclectic with an exotic feel and was far too complex for our minimalist taste.
For a five star resort hotel, the facilities are inadequate - no pool, no sun loungers, practically no outdoor space. The restaurant is excellent, one of Portugal’s best, and we much enjoyed dinner there.
Our room was small and poorly lit, with a heavy oriental furnishings and decor. The bathroom was tiny (we had one twice as large in a nearby three star hotel) and offered the most complicated bath/shower/whirlpool/steam bath combo we have ever seen and one far too complicated to master in only two nights (but we did manage to get the shower to work).
The staff were pleasant and helpful. There is free but complicated WiFi available in the public areas.
Some will find the Fortaleza's unique quirkiness attractive but it wasn’t to our taste (apart from the excellent food).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Leaning over the Atlantic Ocean, the Fortaleza do Guincho welcomes a charming five star boutique hotel - integrated into in the prestigious Relais & Chateaux association - with a range of services that focus on the well being and peacefulness of the customers. The Hotel's restaurant, awarded with a Michelin Star, offers an unforgettable dining experience of Portuguese cuisine, made from the finest national products. The Hotel Fortaleza do Guincho has a warm and personalized service, making it the ideal place for a family holiday, board meetings or the perfect refuge for a romantic getaway. It has the perfect conditions for company meetings, special parties and events or banquets. Located just seven kilometers from the town of Cascais and 30 kilometers from Lisbon and the International Airport, the cultural and leisure offer in the region is rich and full of varieties. Along the cost line you will find Sintra and its magnificent monuments and natural landscape, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. For sea lovers abound beaches along the coast and all kinds of water sports and outdoor activities . The Hotel is surrounded by the best golf courses, while the Estoril Casino, the largest in Europe, is just a few minutes away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Fortaleza do Guincho reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fortaleza Do Guincho Cascais
- Fortaleza Do Guincho Hotel Cascais