“A Guest House where you really feel at home”

The Charm of Cascais
Ranked #3 of 42 Cascais B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 1, 2012

My wife and I came across The Charm of Cascais via Tripadvisor, and the reviews indicated it was just what we were looking for.
We arrived in Cascais by the delightful 35 minute train ride from Lisbon and were immediately entranced with the resort, its beaches and things to do. On arrival at The Charm of Cascais we were met by the owners Ruy and Susana, who showed us into a beautiful first floor room with an enormous bathroom featuring a bath, bidet and two wash basins. And this was only their standard double room! The beds were extremely large and comfortable - I'm 6ft 4ins tall and really appreciated the extra size. Everything was brand new and top quality, from the linens, towels and toiletries, to the silent and efficient air conditioning, satellite flatscreen TV and free wifi throughout the building.
The garden and pool area was a relaxing sun trap with comfortable loungers, and the pool itself was always clean with water at the right temperature. The weather was beautiful during our stay, and after a day in Cascais, Estoril or the nearby magical town of Sintra a dip in the pool was just what was needed, followed by tea and delicious home made cakes. In fact, all the food served was delicious, from the excellent and healthy breakfast (with home made yogurt, bread and preserves) to dinner each evening.
The house itself is beautifully decorated and comfortable without being precious in any way, and you don't need any encouragement from Ruy and Susana to feel completely at home. They really are the perfect hosts with no request too much trouble for them, and their care and consideration shows in all the details. A highlight of our stay was a morning trip along the coast in their 30 foot sailing boat 'Hippy Chic', moored at the nearby Cascais Marina, only a 15 minute walk away.
The Charm of Cascais is wholeheartedly recommended, and we're looking forward to going back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bbjazz

Reviewed June 7, 2012

I stayed here for two nights at the end of May, and would definitely recommend it for a longer stay. There is a relaxing pool area, a nice garden and a large lounge with pool table, where cocktails are served during happy hour. The owners are very helpful and are clearly keen that their guests are comfortable and enjoy their stay. The breakfast is delicious. Lots of fruit, cereal, pastries, choice of eggs (with bacon) and a delicious orange"trifle" More what I would call bread pudding, but surprisingly good for breakfast.
It is definitely walkable into town although some of the pavements are a bit uneven if you're are not a confident walker. Taxis are easy and cheap.

Room Tip: We stayed in the master suite which is great. Large room with dressing area and large bathroom with...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank raedgar
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Stayed here for three nights and had a wonderful time. Very comfortable room and a spacious lounge with extensive library (mainly portugese). The hosts take great care to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable stay. The property is about 1.5km from the centre of town, a pleasant walk but you can take a taxi for €3.50. We also dined there twice and were impressed by the cooking, certainly better than some of the restaurants we ate in in town. Breakfast was also well catered.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RonJay48
Reviewed January 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a few nights as we traveled the coast of Portugal. The house is stunning, and our room was huge with a gorgeous vintage bathroom. Breakfast was delightful, and the owners were so kind and helpful. They have wireless internet, TV, and a nice pool which the rooms overlook.

It's not far from the downtown/beach area. We walked a few times, but it may be a bit of a hike if you're not a big walker. The location is just a short drive from Guincho beach, Cabo da Roca (westernmost point of Europe), Sintra, and other sites. We had a rented car, which certainly made things easier.

Definitely book a few nights here if you have the time! I could have stayed even longer!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Moriah H
Reviewed December 28, 2011

The Charm o Cascais is beautiful guest house. The owner, Susana and her husband were very attentive; they went the extra mile in service and kindness. The hotel is a short 20 minute walk to the center of Cascais which is a bustling little city. A must if you go to Portugal. I plan to return to Cascais in the summer. I have heard it is quite lovely.

Room Tip: all rooms are good. I chose the double standard and it was roomy. very quite street.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank MichelleRogers
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We stayed in the Charm of Cascais for only one night (September 7th, 2011) and wish we could have stayed there longer. It is indeed a charming place with gracious owners/hosts who will do everything they can to make you feel wellcome. The room (we had a Junior Suite) was spacious, the bed very comfortable, the breakfast, that was eaten by the pool, fresh and delicious. In fact this was the best place we stayed in during our 12 days in Portugal, yet it was not the most expensive one. We highly recommend it, but it seems there is no need recommendations because checking in the internet the place is almost always full and we were fortunate to be able to stay there.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank NKAI
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Typically, when I come to Europe from the US, I stay in hotels near the city center. However, on this trip to Lisbon I decided to stay outside of the city. I found Rui and Susana's Charm of Cascais by chance and was extremely fortunate that I did find this fantastic guesthouse. Upon arrival on a Friday morning around 11 am (after an overnight flight from the US), I was greeted at the door by Susana. Although I had arrived 3 hours before check-in, Rui immediately had his staff begin preparing my room, which had just been vacated only moments before by another guest. While waiting, I relaxed in the large family room located next to the patio and very nice and well-maintained in-ground pool. Rui came in and asked if I was hungry and brought me a pastry and then came back out with a drink...and I didn't even ask! I could tell that my stay was going to be a good one. My room was spacious and very clean with a flat-screen television that had numerous channels. In fact, for visitors from the US and Canada, I found an ESPN America stations which, by chance, was showing the Detroit Tigers/Minnesota Twins game that night! I definitely felt at home; the wireless internet quality was more than satisfactory and I was able to video chat with my wife and children back home.

After a solid night's sleep on the high quality beds, I went downstairs to the dining area where Rui and his staff had breakfast ready. It consisted of juices, coffee, pastries, breads, jams, cereal, meats, cheeses, yogurts, etc. In addition, Rui's staff came out and asked if I would like some eggs, which were brought to me immediately and freshly cooked.

During the day, the rooms were re-cleaned. Rui and Susana would often ask if I wanted anything to eat or drink while I did some work on my computer in one of their sitting rooms. After a while I would often take a quick swim in the pool. In short, the amenities, courtesy, and comfort of this guesthouse are outstanding.

Getting here from Lisbon airport was also fairly easy. I recommend either taking a taxi to the Cais de Sodre train station where a 3 euro ticket takes you to the Cascais station, the last station on the line. A taxi picked me up within 60 seconds and, for another 4 euro, I was at the guesthouse. During the late afternoons, I would typically walk to the downtown area of Cascais for a bite to eat; the walk is about 15 minutes or so in mostly residential neighborhoods; many people will be out, most walking dogs or walking with another person. During the evenings and night hours, the guesthouse seemed quiet; I had the balconly doors to my room open most nights rather late without any noise coming through.

Overall, a very nice stay; I traveled alone on this trip, but Rui and Susana helped make the stay feel more at home. Would definitely stay again on any future trips to this area.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business