“Amazing historic building but rooms need renewal”

Hotel Quinta das Lagrimas
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Coimbra
Madrid, Spain
“Amazing historic building but rooms need renewal”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I think i had very high expectations since everybody talked highly of this place. The palace its amazing, and the gardens so beautiful. But this is at the end a hotel, and rooms really need to be renewed. We stay at garden room, and they were a bit old fashioned. Also the spa doesn't have much and its far from the rooms. Staff were kind but not really for a luxury hotel, not trying to make our stay special.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Pisa, Italy
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Hotel a bit far away from downtown, but at walking distance (20 min). The walk to city center is enjoyable, thx to a pedestrian bridge.
I stayed in this hotel in the new wing, but it is an hotel de charme with special rooms around a patio.
Breakfast was full continental with fresh fruit, excellent.
WiFi Internet is free. In my room Internet connection was not working, I had to connect in the common room.

Room Tip: The rooms in the new wing are large and very silent.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank paolociancarini
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We went for a weekend to this extraordinary building of the 18th century, located on a place where the romantic and tragic love-story of Inez de Castro and the King of Portugal took place in the late medieval times. I hears that the Duke of Wellington stayed there overnight and so did Mrs. Amalia Rodriguez, the famous legendary Fado Queen of Portugal.
The entrance is very polite and friendly, the building looks amazing and so did the room.
The breakfast was excellent, they have a good SPA, with sauna, steambath and a clean pool.
They also have beautiful botanical gardens and a Michelin starred restaurant with very good service and to my opinion it is the best restaurant of Coimbra.
However, they are not very cheap.
But it was worth while...
The beds were superb, big enough, nice comfortable mattresses and pillows, YES, I am already looking forward to go back!
A funny detail: I read in one of the other reviews that they found ants in the room.
In the drawer of my night table I left an empty chocolate box.
On the day when I checked out, I wanted to throw it away in the bin and found a hungry family of ants in my drawer who were enjoying the leftovers in the box.
For the rest the room was very clean, cozy and in style, so I recommend people who hesitate to go there because of the ants, to put an empty chocolate box in one of the drawers and they will not be a nuisance, as I discovered them only at the very last minute when I left the room.
Despite of the ants a very good experience!
There is also a modern wing in the hotel and I have seen these rooms too, but they were not very appealing to me.
Still very comfortable I must say...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
uk
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this hotel.

The orignal building is lovely, and the reception staff were very friendly and obliging. When we arrived we were upgraded to a suite in the new wing. It was huge and quite eyecatching and I was very happy. Until.. Like another reviewer we found ants in the room, and after the maid had cleaned up, we found more ants.

So we were offered another room in the old building, which wasn't so large but more than big enough, and very comfortable. Most importantly there were no ants. So I was happy to switch, however I thought the hotel could at least have given us a bottle of wine or some sort of "sorry" for the upset and waste of holiday time switching rooms.

Speaking to the staff, it seems an ongoing battle with the ants which they dont seem to be winning.

Also its a good fifteen minute walk into town - but its a pleasant walk across and along the river.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Reenby
Hechtel-Eksel, Belgium
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The entrance of the domaine is great. At the reception we did not feel 100% welcome but the carrier was really great!
The hotel has an old and a new part. We got a room in the new part. I can imagine most of the guests would prefer a room in the old, authentic part of the hotel. The room was nice.
We had dinner at the restaurant of the hotel and the food was great, the staff was extremely friendly and correct.
I went for a swim in the morning in the great indoor pool. The breakfast was a bit disapointing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Porto Alegre
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Definitly this is the place to stay in Coimbra. Lots of history, a great construction and a wonderful restaurant.
The place is very charming, with a exceptional service.
Some rooms are more "interesting" than other. I did not like the modern area... is out of context. Prefer the rooms in the Palace. I stayed in a garden room, and felt it a little bit poor to be a Relais & Chateaux: very, but very poor pilow quality, very regular bathroom... really nothing special in this type of room. The palace rooms are at leat more stylish.
The dinner was amazing... wonderful food and wine.
It worth wath you pay (it´s not expensive at all) and to be in such an historical place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LuGarcia
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2012

The main part of the hotel is a beautiful building and the staff could not be friendlier. The gardens are multiple and well-groomed and the spa is excellent. My room was in the new part of the hotel and was more basic than I had hoped. The bed and furniture were more of an Ikea standard which is disappointing given the magnificence of the rest of the hotel. I would stay here again though, and the price really was very reasonable for what you get.

Room Tip: Stay in the main (older) part of the hotel
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends