“Find True Fado Passion Here!”
Review of Fado ao Centro

Fado ao Centro
Ranked #2 of 92 things to do in Coimbra
More attraction details
Owner description: Fado ao Centro is a Cultural Association of Fado from Coimbra, opened from Monday to Sunday (10am to 7pm). Located in the historical center of Coimbra (Rua Quebra Costas),the entrance to the photo exhibition about Coimbras University tradition & informations are for free. Also have Fado shows everyday, with a recreation of a Live Serenade, that everyone can experience for a small amount of money! A magical space with a unique atmosphere were you can find the most genuine and traditional Fado from Coimbra everyday from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Only the best musicians of the city play in Fado ao Centro and they are selected according to the highest standards of this 160 year old tradition. Even if you can't witness the concert, don't miss the oportunity to visit our space and get to know a little bit more about Fado from Coimbra. There are always musicians playing and rehearsing so you can change experiences and learn more about the Portuguese Guitar and this unique musical tradition. Bewtween 4:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. we have the "Afternoon Rehearsals" with our regular musicians. You can always pass by, watch them play and anyone that want's to bring their own instrument is also welcome to join! At 6:00 p.m. we start our daily 50 minute long concert of Fado from Coimbra. If you are interested in attending our concert, we strongly advise you to make a reservation in order to ensure your seat. We don't serve any kind of food, so we are totally committed to the concert itself, enabling a genuine atmosphere and unique cultural and musical experience in Coimbra! Following the work that has been held by this Cultural Association, you'll find different exclusive editions of books, CDs and DVDs related to Fado from Coimbra. Fado ao Centro(R) is, undoubtedly, a place to visit in Coimbra!
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I was looking for things to do in Coimbra when I saw the Fado ao Centro listed as the #1 recommended thing on TripAdvisor. My travel buddy and I decided we would book two seats at the 18:00 show that night. We got there early and were able to get front row seats. At first I was surprised that the lead singer spoke only in Portuguese and that there was a English translation that followed. But the music was really nice and there were even a few songs that the audience was invited to sing along. Then I realized that most of the audience was Portuguese-speaking. The show was advertised to last about 50 minutes, but our musicians played for over an hour.

After the show, there is a port wine tasting included in the price of the ticket for the show (10 euros). My travel buddy and I both study tourism, so we were interested to talk with the woman serving the port wine. In our fifteen or so minutes with her, we learned a lot about the fado center. It was started by someone passionate for fado, and there are a variety of performers who just love fado so much that they play every night of the year (including Christmas and New Year's). Because of the number of performers interested in sharing their love of fado, each night promises a different show with a selection of musicians. The center accidentally became a tourism product according to the woman we talked with as originally it was created as a way for community members to enjoy fado music on a nightly basis.

I highly recommend attending. After wandering the streets in Lisbon a few days later and seeing many restaurants offering an expensive dinner and fado show, I am so glad we saw our first fado performance in Coimbra!

2  Thank RunsAmok
Write a ReviewReviews (1,044)

Reviewed January 24, 2013

This was our first time listening to and experiencing Fado music. At first we thought it was going to be just a cheesy tourist show since it is widely advertised. But it was very moving and wonderful. These incredible musicans are committed to sharing the history and power of Fado. I would recommend it to all ages. Fado is an important part of visit Coimbra. Learn about it and enjoy.

1  Thank AlaskaEagle
Reviewed December 18, 2012

It´s a Fado house, the tipical music from Portugal, but this is the true Fado, Coimbra Fado is different from the one that is played in Lisbon.

2  Thank jfkampos
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Being a first generation American of Portuguese decent [my father being born just 30 miles from Coimbra] I knew Fado [fah-do] growing up. But, I never had the chance to hear and see Fado performed live and in person. The talent of the singer and musicians, especially the Portuguese guitar, was exceptional. Everyone should take the oportunity to see the show, even if you have to go out of your way. Then get a CD or DVD, or better yet, both to take the experience home with you and share with family and friends. Share a good glass of Porto which is offered after the show. Well worth the 10 Euros.
Joe Figueiredo
Carlisle, PA USA

1  Thank Joe F F F
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Everyone should do one fado visit and this was quite entertaining. Very small venue and upfront entertainment.

1  Thank mpd