“At home, in the meaning of the word...”

Restaurante Adega Paco do Conde
Ranked #78 of 486 Restaurants in Coimbra
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 11, 2018 via mobile

This place in the Centre of magnificent Coimbra does not hide its preference for locals. Foreign languages are quite rough in waiters and owners, service is essential and sometimes slow, but the quality here is at the top of the Portuguese cuisine. No matter if you choose meat or seafood, All is fresh and homemade. And desserts are all lovely home made.

1  Thank Luciano D

Reviewed November 27, 2017 via mobile

The staff wasn't super friendly, the waitress was a bit rude while we were ordering, but we were in a good mood, so we just shrug it off.
All of us ordered pork: costeletas, espetadas de lombo and espetadas mistas. The meat wasn't fresh and even though it was not spoiled, it's always disappointing. Top it with underseasoning, overcooking and drying the meat, but still managing to leave some pieces raw, serve with a poor salad, a tasteless, oily rice, and soggy french fries - that was our experience.
We were so dumbfound with the lack of quality of the food, I asked the rest of the party to leave the restaurant, and went to pay as quickly as possible so we could still try to save our night. We paid around 25 euros for 3 people, with soft drinks, the dishes I mentioned, bread and olives. It's cheap, but it's terrible. There are a lot of places with much better food in Coimbra with similar prices.

Bonus negative points for a waiter from whom I moved away, since he had dishes in his hands and I was in his way while waiting to pay. He tried to be funny asking if I was afraid of them, because he could see I was shivering (I was not), when I tried to say I've moved to let him pass, he cut me off saying "Are you afraid of me? Don't be! If you get frightened that easily you should buy a knife or a We were having a nice walk and looking for a place to eat when we stumbled on this restaurant. We found it inviting, seeing the grill from the street it seemed the food would be good - even if we had to wait for a while, we didn't mind that. So we got in, that was a mistake.

Bonus negative points for a waiter from whom I moved away, since he had dishes in his hands and I was in his way while waiting to pay. He tried to be funny asking if I was afraid of them, because he could see I was shivering (I was not), when I tried to say I've moved to let him pass, he cut me off saying "Are you afraid of me? Don't be! If you get frightened that easily you should buy a knife or a gun!" I said nothing, paid and walked away. Maybe he was trying to be funny? It was creepy as hell.!" I said nothing, paid and walked away. Maybe he was trying to be funny? It was creepy as hell.

1  Thank anasmithe
Reviewed October 19, 2017 via mobile

Food is very good. Fish is fresh. Plentiful sides and you can pick and choose the sides. House wine at 3€ a bottle is good and cheap. Going back for the last time this evening.

1  Thank RaphaelDingli
Reviewed October 19, 2017 via mobile

One of the best places for seafood in Portugal. They have a huge grill and everything is freshly prepared in front of guests. Lulas (calamari) are particularly delicious.

Additionally, the atmosphere is very casual, an important factor when you visit with 6 kids.

1  Thank Justyna K
Reviewed October 7, 2017 via mobile

Went there twice in half a year, both times we had to wait one hour for simple grilled meat and seafood, while the place was empty. No one even came to our table to say anything. Plus both times the bill was wrong, they counted bread, cheese and butter we haven't ate. Thanks god I understand portuguese, they definitely tought I am tourist and not gonna read what's written. Bad tourist trap, dont go there. Much better places 5 min walk from the center, like rua sofia