“I'ts a must try”

Ranked #3 of 415 Restaurants in Coimbra
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Fantastic. Very small tavern, rustic look, delicious food. The guy serving the tables is helpful and nice. You should go early or make a reservation, otherwise it will be full.

There are newer reviews for Ze Manel dos Ossos

Reviewed May 29, 2014

This little restaurant is as Traditional as you can get , the food is amazing and truly a cultural experience.I had the famous 'ossos' and its was awesome.The rice with beans , small white cheese was amazing and overall a great experience.Keep in mind the kitchen closes at 22:00 and we were lucky they let us in at 22:30. Definitely recommended!!! I also wrote on a paper and left it inside the restaurant and will make sure i see it when back in Coimbra :)

Reviewed May 25, 2014

Okay so the food was great (wouldnt say it was the best I've ever had in the world, but it was really good)
We were told about this place by our hotel staff. It took us about 40 minutes to find it and after a lot of asking for directions, a cop took us there. No signs, No lights, small alley. When we finally found the building I had to ask a guy outside (who happened to work there) if that was it! Hand written menu in the window, no rest. name. People were eating inside, but no idea if that was it. We went in and the place is tiny!! I mean tiny! They sat us in the this tiny spot for two in the corner and it was total entertainment from the moment we walked in! The kitchen is spotless! The place looks like somewhere Anthony Bourdain would visit! The waiter/owner is hilarious! He would yell out the orders to the cooks and then mess with them. A lot of loud talking between the 3 of them and then yiour order comes comes out. We had goat and Fejuada. All tasty and delicious! We shared a Bottle of house red wine, had two meals, bread and olives to start, and two dessserts (which were incredible btw....some kinda almond pudding and chocolate mouse) both to die for! All that food and it was by far the cheapest meal we had during the 2 weeks we were in Portugal. $22 Euros. At the end the table cloths are made of paper. Write a little something aboou tyour visit and the owner will give you scotch tape to hang it on the wall. Everone does it and you can add your mark too! I highly recommend eating at this joint at least once if your in town!

Reviewed May 17, 2014

I had the wild pork (as the waiter described it) with beans, which was a hearty meal, a good idea for the winter months, I suppose, but it was in May. As a second service, I had the goat, slowly cooked in the oven, with wine. This resulted in a dark meat, tender but greasy, which was a little bit too much for my companion. The red wine is to avoid, for it was almost hot. Try the beer or the white wine of the restaurant. Be prepared for the place which is cramped, with a few tables, and a long line of waiting people. You go there I suppose for the food, not the quality of the place, and to hear the waiters and cook talk loudly about subjects you don't understand.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Definitely a good place to have a decent dinner with ur friends with very reasonable charges. Tasty and well-cooked. the service is also very typical for this catering spot. The volume of each dish is unexpectedly large so that think twice before u order even the owner will try his best to prevent you from ordering too much xD. Foods are little greasy for normal people especially for young female. However it is very general to see that excessive olive oil in Portuguese cuisine.
Unfortunately, reservation is not possible and only 20 seats are available (or even less) in this iconic restaurant and plz notice that the dinner will only starts at 7:30 so plan your schedule and be patient for this. it would not let ya down. Anyway good price with good food, a must try if you went to this city.

2  Thank PeteWuhan