“Great Experience and Food in a Little Place with Character”
Review of Ze Manel dos Ossos

Ze Manel dos Ossos
Ranked #1 of 385 Restaurants in Coimbra
Cuisines: Portuguese
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great Experience and Food in a Little Place with Character”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was my favorite restaurant in Portugal. There are only six table (4 seats per table) and the menu usually consists of 4 different types of meat with different sides. The whole place is a hoot. From the boar heads on the wall with sunglasses, the upside down statues and the notes all over the walls. There is only one waiter, who seats, serves, and sets the table. He is eccentric to say the least but it adds to the experience. Don't let him think he doesn't speak English, he does. He has fun teasing and may seem gruff at first but he is very nice.

It opens at 7:30 and there is always a line of locals as well as tourists. So, get there early. I was also by myself. I got there late, about 8:30 and was told that the wait would be long. However, I still was sat 15 minutes later and I think he was just trying to have fun with my total ignorance of what to do about the fact that I didn't speak English, everyone around me was speaking Portuguese, and the menu was in Portuguese. However, after having fun with me trying to read the menu and such, he finally started speaking in perfect English. The food was great and the portions were huge! It is much better if you can go with a group but if you can't, go anyway. I had the goat stew and the vegetables and it was great. He also doesn't make you rush and let me try and get it all down before I left. Needless to say, bring your appetite.

• Visited October 2012

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Located on a tiny sidestreet, this restaurant apparently hasn't changed much in the past years. The kitchen and dining area are all in one room, with only 7 tables, and a line forms outside waiting for diners to finish. I don't eat red meat, but the Dourado was the best fish I ate in Portugal and one of the best prepared grilled fish dishes I've ever had. My companion's goat in red wine was braised for hours; he rated it excellent. The house wines are great complements for the meals. The chocolate cake was a wonderful balance of light, deeply chocolate cake and an intense cholcolatey glaze. If we hadn't been in Coimbra for only one night, we probably would have gone back again.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Marghana
Valinhos, SP
“Smallest and busiest place ever been”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

7 tables, no more than 20 persons eating a soberb "barriguinhas" or "ossos" (pork parts), with walls covered by little papernotes from clients. Never would find it, in a downtown small alley (beco do Forno). Must visit (expect waiting lines! - have a beer!)

Visited September 2012
Coimbra, Portugal
“One of a kind”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

One of the smallest restaurants in town, with only one small room (well, there is another room, in upper floor, but its not the same thing). Unique decoration. Ze Manel is retired now, but the atmosphere is still the same.
Ask for Ossos (steamed pork bones) for the a starter. Dont go there if you are on a ditet, you will not find salads. After the meal, tear some of the papel towel and leave a note on the wall.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank JMPFF
Lorrach, Germany
“That is authentic portuguese food!”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

After having some fancy dinners during our round trip in Portugal we decided to go for Ze Manel which was recommended by trip advisor in the first place. We did not regret it. 5 tables and a open kitchen. The "patron" is an orginal. He speaks decent english and provides you with all you have to know on the food. I went for the wild pork with beans which was fantastic. My girl had the beef. Food was great even though beef tend to be a bit to well done. Wine was a good portuguese table wine. Desert was brilliant. Especially the almond is worth it. Overall we were full and the bill waqs below 30 Euro......unbelieveable. The napkins wallpaper is special. The guests came from everywhere..and if you stop at Coimbra go there. Be there early enough...7 pm latest...wait for 30 minutes before you get in. It is worth it.

• Visited July 2012