“Stolen money”

Angra do Heroismo, Portugal
“Stolen money”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I stayed here Feb 19- Feb 25/20014
My wife and I decided to take a short vacation and after going all over the US and Virgin Islands we decided to go back to our home land Azores,We made reservations to stay at Angra Marina on line and as all wayS I reAd the reviews to better make an educated decision .Most off the reviews were terrible but because we all ways try to stay at 5 star hotels when we go on vacation ,we decided to give it a try (big mistake).We have stayed at 5 star hotels like the W in time square NY ,the Ritz Carlton in St Thomas Vi and the list goes on .The day we got to the hotel, there was no door man (I easked myself ,is this a 5 star??) right a way I got the feeling that all the reviews were right ,the front desk sevice was a 3 star to say the least .I have to desigree with some of the reviews regarding the lighting in the allways and in the rooms ,beeing a construction contractor myself I was amazed with the lighting system ,the lights have sensors and you need to use the key on your room to turn the light on (its called energy conservation)mutch more advanced then hotels in the US .
The next day I tryed to take a shower and the water was cold (never seen in a 5 star hotel) I called the front desk and they said they were sending a maintenance person to fixe it,I got hot water 1 hour after the request.Going in to the shower I notice that there was no place to put the soap or shampoo (very bad design)so I place it on the floor,the shower door is another bad design (there is no room between the door and the toilet ,therefore you have a very hard time to get in to the shower ).The next morning we went for brakfast witch was ok if you are at 3 star hotel.The front desk gave us a free pass to enjoy 2 drinks at the bar,when we went to the bar to enjoy the gift ,there was no bar tender and nobody at the bar ( we end up trowing the pass on the trash).All the luxuries of a 5 star hotel are closed (Spa,hot tub,pool,bar ,and the list goes on )We never had diner at the hotel because the restaurant was allways empty (not a good sign)
On our last day we had no hot water Again and the list goes on
Beeing Azorean native I understand what happen with this hotel,just like other projects,the government gave millions of Euros to a couple of thiefs and they stole the money by building beautiful houses for them to enjoy in Madeira .This is called the CORRUPTION in Portugal .
This hotel will not last

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Searay24400

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Terceira, Portugal
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I stayed at the Presidential Suite of this very beautiful hotel 6 months ago.
It used to be by far the best and most luxurious hotel (with excellent services) in all the Azores. Everything was perfect and marvellous, and we just loved everything here! Therefore I decided to come back again. This place was - only 6 months ago - a real gem! Now it changed a lot, and I got the feeling inside me that it won't survive, and that they are forced to shut down soon. The hotel is totally understaffed, no guests around, bad quality of food, air condition and lights switched off in most parts, everyone lost his smiles and the staff seems totally unmotivated. It's a tragedy how such a superb hotel can run into the opposite within a couple of months only!

The rate we paid for the Presidential Suite (which is always empty as I was told...) in spring 2013 was around 300€ per night. I planned to come back to Terceira in October and therefore made a reservation on booking.com. On that occasion I booked the most expensive Suite available on booking.com, which was priced at the same level I had paid in spring 2013. Being the most expensive available Suite, and being priced at the very same level of the Suite I had 6 months earlier, it was clear to me that I would get the same Suite as 6 months ago. On top of that, I added a personal comment on booking.com which was directed to 2 very kind staff members (reception) which I got to know during my stay here in spring 2013. Those two therefore had my email address and could have contacted me any time... They knew that I always choose for the very best only. They knew that I stayed at the Presidential Suite before, and that I would only stay at this Suite while at this hotel - because I loved it so much here in spring 2013.

Upon arrival at the hotel, however, I was told that there must be a misunderstanding, and that the Suite I was staying in 6 months ago is now priced at 1'500€ per night. 500% more expensive than 6 months ago... It sounded like a bad joke of a Mafia run hotel which lost even the last bit of being serious just before going bankrupt. I was offered to stay either in a small Suite, or paying the difference of around 1'200€ per night to stay at the same Suite as last time.
Well, knowing that people in the Azores earn less than 500€ per month, it seems absolutely absurd to me that the price for 4 nights at this Suite should be equivalent to a YEARS salary of an employee in the Azores. NOBODY ever would pay 1'500€ per night for staying here at this hotel which lost every style and glamour it used to have.
After loosing about an hour making phone calls with the head office in Funchal, Madeira, we finally got the key to our Presidential Suite.

The hotel now is that much understaffed that there was not even a porter, and the lady at reception was alone so that she could not even escort us to the Presidential Suite. In all my life I never stayed in a so called 5 star hotel where there is not even someone to join you to reach your Suite which is officially priced at 1'500€ per night. It is scandalous as almost everything in this hotel...

The hotel was almost empty, the corridors now are dark as if the lights would be switched off for ever very soon. There are 130 rooms, of which less than 10 were occupied.

Our Presidential Suite looked wonderful, it is huge and very well kept as it used to be - except the terrace which did not see a cleaning for a long time. (of course, at it is always empty...)

Two cleaning ladies brought our luggage down. I never stayed in a 5 star hotel where someone with such lousily coloured hair (carrot colour) and long, vulgar fingernails in bright green and black (!!!) was attending me. Very sad if a 5 star hotel management is not even able to recruit their staff in a decent way... Those ladies could work in a drive-in Mc Donalds, but for sure not in a 5 stars hotel!

I was asking the lady how the steam bath works. She looked at me saying that this Suite is almost always empty, and that therefore she does not even know it. That was it. We could not use the steam bath, because there was nobody in all the hotel to explain us. Very disappointing...

As the restaurant was completely empty, we decided to order room service for our dinner. The quality of food was scarse in comparison to last time (it used to be real Grand Hotel style!), but prices were the same. We were told that just a few days ago the cook was fired. Obviously there was noone in the kitchen who had the knowledge of fine cuisine, which would be required for a hotel of this category.

By the way, in the evening and at night the staff now is told to dim all the lights. The lobby used to be illuminated as in a world class 5 star hotel. Now almost all the chandeliers and lights are switched off, and it is dark everywhere. It seems that the hotel ran that much out of money that they can not even pay electricity bills.

Our 2 nights were dreadful. We were told that every Friday and Saturday night there are some discos at the harbour. The music was SO loud that both nights we could not sleep until 4 in the morning - it was just terrible!

Breakfast was another huge delusion. It used to be spectacular only 6 months ago. Now it looked desastrous and reminded me of a Russian hotel in Novosibirsk before the Perestroika. Nobody greets you at the restaurant, no smiles. Everybody walks around in big depression and you get the feeling that the staff in here is not even paid anymore, or that they already know that this hotel has no chance to survive.
The choice on the buffet was scarse. In the Azores they grow wonderful pineapples. Here they use the conserved ones as you would expect them in a lousy 3 star hotel in Belarus. The choice of bread was not only ugly to look at, but also lousy to eat. There was very little choice. The atmosphere at the restaurant was SO bad and service was just non existing. At the buffet there was a lady starring at us without any smile, we felt observed as if we had committed something really bad. We just had breakfast there once, because it was a terrible experience never to repeat.

There would be a long list to write about the tragedy of this hotel.
This management unfortunately has no idea at all how to run such a business successfully. They are in Funchal, and no need to say that you can not manage a 5* hotel from a distance of 930 kilometers. As far as I got to know there is not even a manager on duty here in Terceira...

I was told by a journalist from São Miguél that the government gave them 20 millions (€) in order to keep the hotel running. Instead of making good investments here in the Azores, the money disappeared and 4 Quintas were bought in Madeira instead of. Everything here seems scandalous, and I can only say that a professional hotel chain as for example Pestana should take over this wonderful hotel, to give it back its old glamour and its stunning beauty.

To add that from one day to another, the Angra Marina Hotel did not appear anymore on booking.com and all the other booking sites on the web.
This happens if a hotel is so short of cash that they can not even pay their commissions anymore...
One evening I was at reception. The bar keeper wanted to change 100€ At the front desk, but the person on duty at reception did not even have the equivalent in cash. They really seem totally bankrupt...

As a consequence, do not even think to stay there at the moment. What you get is just delusion at a very overrated price. There are much better places to stay, and one has to wait until a new, capable management will take the hotel over, pulling it out of the mud in which it is stuck now. Very, very sad what happened here...

Room Tip: The Presidential Suite is just marvellous! But wait to come here until a new, capable and honest man...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Travelmaniaccc

Travelers are raving about these Angra do Heroismo hotels

Arlington VA
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Just so you know, I'm not a person who complains without just cause. Also, I've traveled extensively in mainland Portugal, so my expectations are based on experiences with similarly rated hotels there. I've lived on Terceira for 2-1/2 years while working as a US Air Force civilian at Lajes Field. I chose the Marina Hotel as a treat during the grueling week of "packing out" to return to the states. Imagine my disappointment as each successive issue showed up. These possibly sound petty, but taken as a whole, and with the high cost of the room - 110 € ($147)/night - I didn't expect the following (in no particular order). There was no luggage cart and the clerk (the term "concierge" would be a gross overstatement), didn't offer to help carry things in and up to the room (forget about a bellboy (do they still call them that???). When I asked about a cart, he looked at me as if my question was unusual, and then said: "Well, there was one here a couple of days ago. I don't know where it is." He didn't call anyone to find out. The elevator lobbies and corridors were dark, as in no light (if there were motion sensors, they didn't work and there wasn't lighting on the stairs. As Susan K wrote, there were no bath mats and my request for two (so demanding) for the sink area and shower area, got the same response as had the question about the luggage cart. The complimentary toiletries? Motel 6 would be embarrassed to offer them. Only 1 pillow and 1 bath towel per person. No extra blanket. No complimentary water bottles; a mini-bar without bottled water; no coffee maker/electric kettle to make coffee/hot water for tea, so one would be forced to call room service to enjoy a morning beverage on the balcony overlooking a gorgeous view. Minimal cooling in the room (it was more comfortable with the balcony door open. Warped wood laminate (cheap) flooring. Per the hotel's website: "Internet access (for a small fee)" and "free internet in the lobby," but the desk clerk was kind enough to loan us an ether net cable for access in the room.

Most important for visitors who rent cars to see the island (which is gorgeous) is the difficulty of finding the hotel (and Google maps is not a solution). The best means of getting there would be to pay for a taxi to lead you there and have a passenger make a sketch-map as you drove. There's not one sign pointing the way and the road to the hotel is hidden in a rabbit warren of narrow streets, many of which are one way. When I wrote

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank aishasolo
from the Netherlands
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Location is great : very close /walking distance from the historic inner city, and excellent (sea)views from the balcony, which every room has. The architecture of the hotel is horrible, but the rooms are comfortable and modern. The hardware of the hotel is apart from the architecture excellent, but the software is horrible. The staff does not seem to be trained and the service is -to put it mildly- poor. We stayed 5 nights in the hotel, and our first and last diner was pathetic. There were less then 20 people, and it took more than 2 hours to get the main course served (which by the way was excellent quality). The bar hardly had any staff, and the breakfast was limited and did not match the standards for a 4-star hotel at all. The management of the hotel really should ask themselves how to improve the service , as we failed to spend money here (and so do many other guests), just because there was often no employee around.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BernardusL
Alhaurin de la Torre, Spain
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The room itself at first glance looks OK, better than OK perhaps. Then you get to live in it! The bathroom had a bath (with a sort of shower attachment) and a shower plate with a big shower head and a telephone attachment. No shower curtain or cabin. So you can save water - the person in the bed next to the bathroom gets a shower at the same time as the person actually in the shower. Add to that the effect of the high shine marble floor and no bathmats ... interesting!
More or less the same plan around the pool, marble tiles around not "indoor and outdoor pools" as on the website but one pool, unheated and neither indoor nor outdoor - there was one wall missing!
Reception was on the 8th floor. To actually get to the Marina or town centre was a descent of about ten floors height and about a 20 minute walk. Not to mention the corresponding uphill return journey!
The service was atrocious, in the bar and the restaurant. The gym doesn't exist. The spa was unlocked and left to its own devices therefore full of kids playing with the installations, any treatments had to be booked through reception and someone travelled from the other side of the island to work in a room with a shower but no basin, no music, relaxing lighting... I could go on!
The hotel is unfinished and grossly understaffed.
Save yourself a lot of frustration and give this one a wide berth!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a shower cabin!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Great location, near the center of town, fishing harbour and Marina, huge and modern rooms/suites, confortable commun areas, swiming pool, jacuzzi and spa. The staff were friendly, helpful and they have really made us feel at home.
Unfortunately the buffet breakfast had not the usual quality and was very weak for a hotel of this category.
Also unforgivable is the nonexistence of wi-fi in the rooms or in the common areas ... I was told that in the rooms only by cable, which is unbelievable and a joke in our days.
In spite of these two negative points I still recommend it for good location, rooms quality, friendliness of staff and price promotions during the winter.

Room Tip: Chose the upper floors ones and the most close to the marina. Beautiful sunsets
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Coutito
Terceira, Portugal
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This marvellous property earns the highest valutations in every sense! If you travel to Terceira, it is a MUST to stay here!
Already the way reservations are handled shows that you will be enjoying the best the Azores can offer you. Mrs Natércia earns a big "thank you" for her excellent way of working and treating customers!
Our airport pick up was handled with greatest care and courtesy, and the stress of travelling with 230 kilos of luggage was blown away by the kindness we were given upon arrival.
Arriving at the hotel, a very nice, well educated and handsome young man brings your luggage with more than one smile to your room/suite.
We were welcomed like friends at this wonderful hotel, and from the moment you step in you just feel at home away from home.
The staff at the front desk is very efficient, reliable and very helpful. They do everything they can for you, always with an Azorean smile.
The lobby is magnificent, absolutely comparable to a chic hotel in Dubai, Hong Kong or San Francisco or any other big city in the world. Marble floors, huge windows all around with great views onto the blue Atlantic. The furniture is very tasteful and nice, and best materials have been chosen for the "Rolls Royce" of the Azorean hotels!
We booked the Presidential Suite (739), and for sure there is no other place in Europe where you can enjoy as much luxury and style for as relatively little money. Thos suite is absolutely breathtaking and hardly any words can describe how wonderful and comfortable it is. It's a place where you just want to stay and enjoy and let you pamper... There are windows all around (15 meters!), and the terrace facing the harbour is 19 meters long (equipped with nice furniture).
You step in into a small foyer with extra door that gives you a maximum of privacy. Then you enter a saloon with a comfy velvet sofa, 2 chairs with little table, a writing desk and nice décor in general. To the right there is a dining room (seating 8 people) with wonderful glass table and 8 tasteful and comfortable chairs. On top there is a little bar, fridge, 2 additional chairs, a TV, WiFi internet is free (well done, it should be like this in every 5 star hotel!), as well as an en suite bathroom with big shower and double sink. From the saloon there are 2 wonderful, wooden sliding doors leading into a magnificent panorama bedroom. The huge bed is extremely comfortable and guarantees sweet dreams. Very well done the one who was chosing it... Also bed linens are top class (all is very new and well kept). The view that you get while being in bed is just gorgeous.
To the left there are big mirrored cupboards, more than enough space and hangers also for guests travelling with 12 suitcases! There is a flat screen TV, and the impression of the furniture is excellent all over. Tasteful and very well kept! En suite there is a wonderful open bathroom (no doors separating it from the bedroom). A huge white jacuzzi right by the panorama window is great fun for relaxing at sunset, you just forget about the rest of this world here. There is also a steam bath and separate shower, as well as a fully automatic toilet (with separate door) as nice as I've seen it only at the Raffles Hotel in Beijing.
There is nothing we could complain about, and the wonderful staff of this impressive hotel did everything (!!) to please us!
An immense "obrigado" (thank you) goes to Mr. Pedro Rodrigues (food and beverage manager). What he did for us, and how he did it, is unbelievable and hard to find in other places around the globe! His kitchen crew is top class, and the food they were serving to us was world class and triple A at the same time. Choice is relatively limited due to the isolation of the island in the middle of the Atlantic, somewhere between America and Portugal. But what's on the menu is just heavenly, and the way they present the dishes is unforgettable! We got much more than we expected, and every single dish was a surprise and joy! There was never a "no", we just got everything that our hearts desired, and we got it with a big smile and excellent sense of humour! Pedro Rodrigues is a very capable manager and would deserve a job in one of the top hotels in a fancy place between Tokyo and Sydney.
Being very well travelled (120+ countries on all continents) for 3 decades and only used to the very best, I can warmly recommend this surprising hotel. In the Azores you just would never ever expect something special like this! If you opt for the Presidential Suite 739, it is obvious that you will spend an unforgettable time! Do not try to save money staying in a normal room. They are also nice, but Suite 739 is very impressive and a caress to your heart which you really should allow to yourself!
The city of Angra do Heroísmo is a gem, by far the nicest town between Lisbon and New York! Wonderful architecture, impressive churches and countless buildings in all colours of the rainbow, and all that just a stone's throw away from the hotel, with relaxing slow motion atmosphere.
Pity that there is no nice boutique and news stand inside the hotel, it would have been lovely to be able to buy some nice souvenirs made by locals. And in my opinion the swimming pool area would need some nice exotic plants and flowers. It does not look very inviting yet, but the hotel being very new may be thinks this concept over to give the same standards also to this area...

Room Tip: 739. Only 739, because it is a spectacular Suite!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
#2 of 5 in Praia da Vitoria
Quinta dos Figos
Quinta dos Figos
#3 of 5 in Praia da Vitoria

Been to Angra Marina Hotel? Share your experiences!